Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard® review
Earn extra points on Spirit Airlines purchases, groceries and dining.
- Get this card if you often fly with Spirit Airlines.
- Pick something else if you don’t want to be bound to a single airline.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher for best chances of approval.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 3x
for the first year ($79 thereafter)
15.99% to 23.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($79 thereafter)|
|Welcome Offer||40,000 bonus points and a $100 companion flight voucher after you spend $1,000 in your first 90 days|
|Rewards||3x points on Spirit purchases, 2x points on grocery store and dining purchases, and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||15.99% to 23.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||15.99% to 23.99% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard® is the Spirit Airlines’ cobranded card with Bank of America. As a cardmember, you get to earn 3x points on Spirit purchases — which go on top of the points you already earn as a member of the program — and 2x points on groceries and dining, which is similar to what other airline cards offer. There’s also a generous signup bonus and an annual $100 companion flight voucher if you spend at least $5,000 in the previous year.
The card also comes with an intro $0 annual fee for the first year, but then you’ll have to pay $79 every year after that. This can be easily offset with the $100 companion flight voucher. There’s also airline-specific benefits like priority boarding and a 25% rebate on in-flight food and beverage purchases.
On the downside, you don’t get a free-checked-bag perk, which is a bummer. Other airline cards that cost around $90 usually come with at least a first checked-bag-free perk. Considering first checked bags can cost up to $67 per person per one-way trip on Spirit Airlines, this is a huge drawback.
While this card isn’t perfect, it can save Spirit flyers some money on flight-related purchases and even help you earn award flights and companion flight vouchers.
How to apply for the Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard®
Applying for the card is simple. Here’s how to do it:
- Visit the Bank of America website.
- Find the Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard®.
- Click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form with information such as your name, address, Social Security number and income.
- Review the form and submit it.
What credit score do I need?
Increase your chances of approval with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard® benefits
- Rewards points. Earn 3x points on Spirit purchases, 2x points on grocery store and dining purchases, and 1x points on all other purchases. The 3x points go on top of the 6x points you earn on Spirit fares as a member of the program and the 12x points on options like seats and bags. You can boost this even further by reaching elite status: Silver members earn an additional 8x on fares and 16x on options, while Gold members earn 10x points on fares and 20x points on options.
- Signup bonus. Earn 40,000 bonus points and a $100 companion flight voucher after you spend $1,000 in your first 90 days when you open your account.
- Anniversary bonus. Earn a $100 companion flight voucher every year on your card anniversary after you spend at least $5,000 in the prior year.
- Spirit Airlines perks. Get Zone 2 shortcut boarding on all Spirit Airlines flights — savings of at least $5.99 per person — plus a 25% rebate on all inflight food and beverage purchases paid with your Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard®.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. For the first year, you get an intro $0 annual fee. After that, you’ll pay $79 annually.
- No free checked bags. Competitor airline cards that cost around $90 typically offer a first-checked-bag free perk. Unfortunately, you won’t get to save money on checked luggage with this card.
Compare airline credit cards
The Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard® is designed to help you quickly rack up reward points and save you money on some Spirit Airlines purchases. But it costs $79 annually after the first year of card membership. If this card isn’t right for you, compare other airline credit cards.