Sonesta World Mastercard® review
Redeem your points for Sonesta hotel stays and enjoy other card perks.
- Get this card if you often stay at Sonesta hotels or if you often travel to South America.
- Pick something else if you prefer other hotels or if you want a general travel credit card.
- Apply with a good to an excellent credit score of Sonesta World Mastercard® or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 3x
for the first year ($75 thereafter)
14.99% to 22.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($75 thereafter)|
|Welcome Offer||60,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||3x points at Sonesta, 2x points on airfare, car rentals and dining and 1x points on everything else|
|Purchase APR||14.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||14.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Sonesta World Mastercard® is a solid hotel credit card that lets you earn accelerated points on Sonesta stays, airfare, car rentals and dining. It comes with generous signup and anniversary bonuses that can cover you for two reward nights each year.
However, you can only redeem your points for Sonesta hotel stays. If you’re looking for a variety of redemption options, this may not be a good card for you.
How to apply for Sonesta World Mastercard®
- Visit the Bank of America website and find the card.
- Click Apply now and fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
You need at least a good credit score of 670 or higher.
- Signup bonus. Earn up to bonus points once you spend $1,000 in your first 90 days of card membership. Earn an additional 30,000 bonus points by adding an authorized user during the same period. Reward nights start at 15,000 points for tier 1 hotels, which makes the signup bonus good enough for four reward nights.
- Anniversary bonus points. Earn 5,000 bonus points on your card anniversary every year you spend . This value amounts to two reward nights at a tier 1 hotel.
- Reward points. Earn 3x points on Sonesta purchases, 2x points on airfare, car rental and dining purchases and 1x points on everything else you buy.
- Automatic elite membership. As soon as you’re approved for the card, you become a Sonesta Elite member, which comes with additional benefits such as early check-in, late check-out, complimentary room upgrades, discounts and more.You remain an elite member for as long as your credit card account is open. Without the card, you need 12 qualifying nights in a calendar year to reach this status.
- Elite membership match. If you’re a Preferred or Elite member in other hotel programs, Sonesta will match that membership level within the Sonesta reward program.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. You get an intro $0 annual fee during your first year, but you’ll pay a $75 annual fee every year after that. This cost can be offset if you earn two rewards nights by spending at least $7,500 in a calendar year.
- No intro APR period. Like most travel cards, you won’t get an intro APR period on purchases or balance transfers. Compare intro APR credit cards if that’s what you’re seeking.
Compare travel rewards credit cards
If you’re a Sonesta regular or if you frequently travel to South America, the Sonesta World Mastercard® could be worth considering. You get to earn accelerated points on travel and dining purchases — and a generous signup bonus, which you can redeem for Sonesta stays at hotels in the US and abroad.