Send money to the Balkans
Shop around for the best money transfer service when you need to send money to the Balkans.
International money transfers to the Balkans don’t have to be expensive or difficult. Money transfer services are a better option than banks because of their competitive rates and fees. When you need to send money to the Balkans, compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the options available to you to get the best deal.
Compare money transfer services to the Balkans
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Best ways to send money to the Balkans
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to the Balkans. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like Remitly and XE specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to the Balkans. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in the Balkans, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like WorldRemit and MoneyGram allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in the Balkans— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe euro may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to the Balkans.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to the BalkansLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in the Balkans. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates using today's rate of 1 USD = 0.952 EUR.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$8||$4||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 0.949 EUR||1 USD = 0.947 EUR||1 USD = 0.904 EUR|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in the Balkans. A cash transfer sends the most, which is EUR€62 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to the Balkans in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to the Balkans online
Sign up and send money to the Balkans with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in the Balkans.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to the Balkans. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to the Balkans
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to the Balkans. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–EUR relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the euro rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–EUR exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of euros you're sending to the Balkans.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to the Balkans.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in the Balkans or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to the Balkans quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
The Balkans' exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much the Balkans' currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-EUR relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to EUR
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in the Balkans may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to the Balkans
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to the Balkans should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in the Balkans:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to the Balkans from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in the Balkans.
Sending your hard-earned money to the Balkans shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Find the best way to send money to Macau
Looking for the best way to send money from the United States to Macau? Services, rates and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Spain
Sending money to Spain from the United States? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Find the best way to send money to Indonesia
Want to send USD to Indonesia? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Ukraine
Need to transfer USD to UAH? Learn how to pick the right service to send your money to Ukraine.
Find the best way to send money to Nigeria
Transferring USD-NGN is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from the United States to Nigeria.
Find the best way to send money to Bangladesh
Want to send USD to Bangladesh? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Mexico
Looking for the best way to send money from the United States to Mexico? Services, rates and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Pakistan
Want to send USD to Pakistan? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to India
Want to send USD to India? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Ask an Expert