MLB® Credit Card from Bank of America review
A cashback rewards card with the logo of your favorite MLB team.
- Get this card if you want to earn cash back while showing love for your favorite MLB team.
- Pick something else if you want a cashback card with no rewards cap.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 3%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 15 statement closing dates (then 13.99% to 23.99% variable)
|Welcome Offer||$200 after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||3% cash back on a chosen category and 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs for the first $2,500 in combined purchases each quarter, then 1% after that and on everything else|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 15 statement closing dates (then 13.99% to 23.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 15 statement closing dates (then 13.99% to 23.99% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
If you love the action of America’s favorite pastime, consider the MLB® Credit Card from Bank of America. You’ll pay no annual fee for the life of the card, and you can earn 1% to 3% cash back across spending categories such as groceries and other everyday purchases.
Save even more with a generous low intro APR on balance transfers and purchases. And after you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days, you’ll qualify for a cash reward, among the general rewards that come with being a member of Bank of America’s Preferred Rewards program.
How to apply for the MLB® Credit Card
- Go to Bank of America website and look for the MLB® Credit Card. Once you find it, click Apply now.
- Fill out the form with the required information and select your MLB team.
- Verify that your information is correct and submit your application.
How long will it take to get my MLB® Credit Card?
Bank of America’s online approval system lets you know your application’s status as soon as you submit it. If further review is needed it may take a few business days up to a few weeks for a decision. Once approved, expect your card to arrive within seven to 10 business days.
- Signup bonus. Spend $1,000 in the first 90 days and get cash rewards bonus. This is one of the easiest bonuses you can earn.
- Cashback rewards. Get 3% cash back on purchases in a category of your choice and 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs for the first $2,500 in combined purchases each quarter. After you reach the $2,500 mark, you earn 1% cash back for the remainder of that quarter. You also earn 1% on everything else.
- Support your favorite MLB team. Choose a card with your baseball team from Major League Baseball’s full roster of 30 teams.
- 10% customer bonus. Deposit your rewards into an eligible Bank of America, Merrill Edge or Merrill Lynch Wealth Management account to receive a 10% customer bonus. That means if you redeem $500 in cash rewards, the bank could deposit an additional $50 for a total of $550.
How much cashback rewards can I earn with the MLB® Credit Card?
The MLB® Credit Card will have your favorite MLB team on it, but it’s most effective for everyday purchases. If you spend around $800 in combined purchases each month for the accelerated categories, you’re sitting right at the sweet spot for rewards.
Check out how much cash back you might earn based on this sample budget:
- $200 per month on a chosen category x 3% = $72 cash back a year
- $450 per month on groceries and wholesale-club purchases x 2% = $108 cash back a year
- $400 per month in other purchases x 1% = $48 cash back a year
Over a year, you’d earn $228 cash back.
You’ll also like …
- Intro APR for purchases and balance transfers. Pay no interest on purchases and balance transfers for the 15 statement closing dates following your account opening. After that, a variable APR of 13.99% to 23.99% applies. If you’re planning to make a large purchase and carry the balance for a year, or if you want to transfer your balance from another card with higher APR, the intro period could come in handy.
- No annual fee. It costs nothing to own the card and show your MLB love.
- Enhanced security and protection. This chip-enabled card protects your purchases and comes with a $0 liability guarantee for fraudulent transactions. Sign up for email or text alerts to stay in the loop on suspicious activity.
- Preferred Rewards. Increase your rewards bonus by 25% to 75% with this three-tiered program that includes free ATM transactions, money market savings, priority client service and no fees on select banking services.
What is the Preferred Rewards program?
Bank of America offers benefits and rewards on your everyday banking with a program called Preferred Rewards. It has three tiers — each with increased benefits from the previous tier.
How do I qualify for the program?
You need to have a Bank of America checking account and a three-month average combined balance of $20,000 in qualifying Bank of America deposit accounts, and Merrill Edge and Merrill Lynch investment accounts. Once you qualify for the program, enroll through your online banking account and you’ll move up the tiers as you qualify.
What are the benefits of the program?
The program’s tiers are based on the amount of your average combined balance.
- Gold. Benefits include a 25% rewards bonus, up to 12 free ATM transactions per year, a 0.25% interest rate discount for auto loans and more. To maintain Gold membership you need at least $20,000 in average combined balances.
- Platinum. Get benefits such as a 50% rewards bonus, up to 12 free ATM transactions per year, a 0.35% interest rate discount for auto loans and more. To maintain Platinum membership you need at least $50,000 in average combined balances.
- Platinum Honors. Benefits include a 75% rewards bonus, unlimited free ATM transactions per year, a 0.50% interest rate discount for auto loans and more. To maintain Platinum Honors membership you need at least $100,000 in average combined balances.
What to watch out for
- Balance transfer limitations. To use the intro APR period on balance transfers, make your transfers in the first 60 days of card membership. Know that for every transfer you make, you’ll pay either $10 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater.
- Foreign transaction fees. When you travel abroad, refrain from using this card for unnecessary purchases as you’ll pay a 3% fee for every transaction.
- Penalty fees. For every late payment you make, you’ll pay a fee of up to $40. A single late payment could also land you with a variable penalty APR of 29.99% indefintely.
- No MLB-specific perks. Other sport-specific cards offer discounts on merchandise or other league benefits. But not the MLB® Credit Card.
Compare similar cashback credit cards
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
Initiate your balance transfers within 60 days of opening your account to take advantage of the 0% intro APR period for the first 15 statement closing dates. After that, a variable APR of 13.99% to 23.99% will apply.
If you’re making transfers that exceed your credit limit, Bank of America may accept a partial transfer. However, they won’t accept balance transfers made from Bank of America accounts or any of their affiliates.
You’ll also pay either $10 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater, in fees for each transfer you make. That’s up to $30 in fees for a $1,000 balance.
Wait at least two weeks from your account opening for Bank of America to process your balance transfers if you request one during the application process.
What should I know before I apply?
Apply for an MLB® Credit Card if you’re at least 18 years old and a US citizen or permanent resident.
You’ll need to provide information, such as:
- Name and contact information.
- Country of residence and date of birth.
- Employment information and income.
At this point, you can select your favorite team and get a card with their logo.
What credit score do I need?
The chances of your approval increase with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. Furthermore, you’ll get a lower APR and a higher credit line if you apply with a better credit score.
MLB® Credit Card reviews and complaints
Bank of America earned a Trustpilot score of 1.3 out of 5 at the time of this writing. Most negative reviews cite unhelpful customer support. Positive reviews often point to the bank’s easy-to-use website.
Bank of America also earns a A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau as of October 2020 and has been accredited since 1949.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download Bank of America Mobile Banking app. Make manual or scheduled payments using the Bank of America app. You can also get exclusive credit card offers and more.
- Avoid interest. After your intro APR period passes, you’ll pay interest on any outstanding balances. Bank of America doesn’t offer interest-free days on cash advances.
- Avoid fees. You’ll pay fees of up to $40 for late and returned payments, as well as fees per balance transfer.
- Customer service. For support, call 800-732-9194. Connect with BofA on Facebook or on Twitter @BankofAmerica.
How do I redeem rewards from the MLB® Credit Card?
Log on to your Bank of America online account to redeem your rewards. You’re eligible to cash out when your rewards balance is at least $25.
Here’s what you can redeem rewards for:
- Statement credit
- A check
- An electronic deposit into a Bank of America savings or checking account
- A contribution to an eligible Cash Management Account with Merrill Lynch Wealth Management or Merrill Edge
For baseball fans, this no-annual-fee cashback rewards card could be a home run. But even if you’re not a baseball fan, the card still offers decent cash back without an annual fee.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I only redeem cashback rewards as statement credit?
No. You can redeem your cashback rewards for a statement credit, a check, electronic deposit into a Bank of America checking or savings account or to contribute it to an eligible cash management account with Merrill Edge or Merrill Lynch Wealth Management.
- Does the card have a signup bonus?
Yes, once you spend $1,000 in your first 90 days of card membership, you’ll earn .
- Will I pay a fee for text banking with Bank of America?
No, Bank of America provides text banking for free. Check with your mobile service provider to confirm whether you’ll pay a charge for sending and receiving text messages through your plan.
- Do my Bank of America cashback rewards expire?
No, your rewards remain in place as long as your account is in good standing.
- When does a penalty APR come into effect?
Bank of America can decide to apply its penalty APR any time you make a late payment, and this penalty could stay in place indefinitely. By making timely payments, you may be able to petition to revert your penalty APR with the bank.