An alternative hotel card: Hilton Honors American Express CardRead more
Compare other travel credit cards
If you’re a regular guest at IHG properties, the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card is a great choice. You’ll earn a whopping 5x points on IHG spending on top of the 1x to 10x points you’ll earn just by being an IHG Rewards Club member. That means you could earn up to 15 points per dollar you spend at IHG hotels. And the signup bonus is huge at 60,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months. You’ll earn another 5,000 points for adding another user if that user makes a purchase within the first three months. If you frequent IHG hotels, this card is definitely worth it.
Earning points at IHG hotels
As a member of the IHG Rewards Club loyalty program, you’ll earn points whenever you stay at an IHG property.
You’ll earn 10 points per dollar you spend at these properties:
- InterContinental Hotels & Resorts
- Hualuxe Hotels and Resorts
- Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts
- Hotel Indigo
- Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Resort
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations
- Even Hotels
You’ll earn 1x points at these properties:
- Staybridge Suites
- Candlewood Suites
When you use your IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card, you’ll earn even more points per stay.
Even if you don’t stay at IHG properties often, you can earn points at a decent clip, thanks to the card’s point earnings on everyday spending — 2x points at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants. Furthermore, you’ll earn 1x points on all other spending. You can redeem points for free nights at IHG properties, starting at 10,000 points.
The card’s signup bonus is relatively easy to get, by spending only $1,000 to qualify. The bonus brings a lucrative haul of 60,000 points — enough for a few nights at IHG properties.
Is the annual fee worth it?
The IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card offers a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year. Unfortunately, it isn’t free forever: You’ll pay a $49 annual fee starting your second year.
As a consolation, however, the card offers a free annual night at an IHG property. That perk alone easily makes the card worth keeping — as long as you stay at an IHG hotel once a year.
You’ll also love getting a complimentary upgrade to Platinum Elite status in the IHG Rewards Club. Compared to the upgrade you’ll get from other hotel cards, the IHG’s boost is generous: Platinum Elite is IHG’s second-highest loyalty tier, and it comes with great benefits like priority check-in, 50% bonus point earnings, complimentary room upgrades and free in-room Wi-Fi.
SIGNUP BONUS: Lots of points.
You’ll receive 60,000. And if you add an authorized user and a purchase is made on that card within the first three months, you’ll earn 5,000 bonus points.
Intro annual fee.
You’ll pay no annual fee for the first year ($49 per year thereafter).
POINTS: More points at IHG properties.
Earn 5x points at IHG properties. Earn 2x points at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants. And earn 1x on everything else you buy.
Because you get IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite status from the card, your points won’t expire.
A free night every year.
Every year after your cardmember anniversary, you’ll earn a free night at an IHG Rewards Club property.
Upgrade to IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite status.
As long as you remain a cardholder, you’ll get an automatic upgrade to IHG Rewards Club Platinum status. Benefits include free in-room Wi-Fi, priority check-in, 50% bonus point earnings, complimentary room upgrades and guaranteed room availability.
You’ll also like …
- Rebate when you redeem IHG points. When you redeem your points, you’ll receive a 10% points rebate.
- $0 foreign transaction fees. Use your IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card internationally without incurring transaction fees.
- Travel and purchase coverage. Enjoy benefits like baggage delay insurance, lost luggage reimbursement and trip cancellation insurance. Also, get purchase protection for items you buy with the card.
What to watch out for
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could result in fees as high as $37.
- Annual fee after the first year. Starting your second card year, you’ll pay a $49 annual fee.
Consider other cards if …
- You want cash back. Look for excellent cash back cards like Citi® Double Cash Card and Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
- You don’t stay at IHG properties. The IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card is a good value if you plan to stay at least one night at an IHG property each year. But if you never stay at IHG hotels, look for a different hotel-branded credit card — or go with a general travel card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or the Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard®.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old (or 19 in Alabama and Nebraska).
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information
- Your address and residential status
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information
- Your Social Security number and mother’s maiden name
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
How to apply for the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
1. Go to the Chase website and click Apply Now.
2. Complete the application form with your name, address, annual income and Social Security number. Then review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional approval is automated on the Chase website, you’ll often get a decision immediately. In some cases, you’ll need to wait a few days to a few weeks to receive a response.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. You can pay your card bill online at the Chase website, where you can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 21 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $37. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Chase support at 1-800-432-3117, send a secured email from your account or connect on Twitter @ChaseSupport.
The IHG card is a particularly good value if you regularly stay at IHG properties. If you want to save up for a few free nights, you’ll like the card’s point earnings on everyday spending. The card’s big pluses include a free annual night at an IHG property and a generous loyalty-tier upgrade.