The Blue Cash Everyday card offers solid cash back rewards on gas and groceries — without an annual fee.
- Get this card if… you spend a lot on groceries and gas, and you don’t want an annual fee.
- Pick something else if… you’re looking for a general cash back card, or if you want travel rewards.
If you’re part of an energetic family, chances are you’ll have significant grocery and gas bills. The Blue Cash Everyday card can ease the burden, with solid cash back at supermarkets and gas stations. If your family is a super-spender on food and fuel, consider the Blue Cash Preferred card — it offers even more cash back.
What is the Blue Cash Everyday card?
The Blue Cash Everyday card is a rewards card that gives you cash back when you use your card to make purchases at grocery stores, gas stations and department stores. It’s similar to the Blue Cash Preferred, with a few differences. On the downside, the Blue Cash Everyday offers a slightly lower signup bonus and less cash back. But on the plus side, it keeps the same great intro APR and has no annual fee.
The biggest difference between the two cards is the amount of cash back you’ll receive:
- The Blue Cash Preferred gives 6% cash back at supermarkets (up to $6,000 in purchases) and 3% cash back at gas stations and some department stores.
- The Blue Cash Everyday gives 3% cash back at supermarkets (up to $6,000 in purchases) and 2% cash back at gas stations and some department stores.
The Nuts and Bolts
|Product name||Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express|
|Issuing bank||American Express Centurion Bank|
|Intro purchase APR||0% for 12 months|
|Intro balance transfer APR||0% for 12 months|
|Balance transfer fee||$5 or 3% of each transaction (whichever is greater)|
|Foreign transaction fee||2.7% of each transaction in U.S. dollars|
|Cash advance rate||25.99%|
|Cash advance fee||$5 or 3% of each transaction (whichever is greater)|
|Penalty APR||Up to 29.99%|
|Late payment fee||Up to $38|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $38|
|Maximum credit limit||N/A|
|Minimum interest charge||Typically $35|
Which Blue Cash card is right for me?
To start, determine if most of your spending goes toward gas and groceries. If so, either Blue Cash card is a good choice.
Next, calculate which card will bring you the biggest benefits. The key factor here is the annual fee: The Blue Cash Preferred has a $95 annual fee, while the Blue Cash Everyday has no annual fee. Consider your spending and if the cash back you’ll receive is higher than the annual fee. You’ll quickly figure out which card is better for you.
Calculating which Blue Cash card brings you the most cash back
Picking the right Blue Cash card comes down to analyzing your spending and doing some quick math.
Suppose you spend $6,000 a year on groceries:
- The Blue Cash Preferred gives you 6% cash back, for a total of $360 cash back. It has a $95 annual fee, so you effectively get $265 cash back.
- The Blue Cash Everyday gives you 3% cash back, for a total of $180 cash back.
That’s a win for the Blue Cash Preferred, and we haven’t even factored in what you’ll spend on gas and other purchases.
Of course, you might not spend as much on gas and groceries, in which case the Blue Cash Preferred might not be worth it. Check your typical expenses and pick the card that works for you.
Another possibility is that you want cash back on more than just gas and groceries. In that case, you might fare better with a general cash back card like the Citi Double Cash, which offers 2% cash back on everything you buy.
- SIGNUP BONUS:
10% cash back at restaurants for the first 6 months (up to $200)
$100 cash back if you spend $1,000 within the first 3 months
- INTRO APR: A healthy introductory interest rate.
0% APR on purchases for 12 months.
0% APR on balance transfers for 12 months.
- CASH BACK: Best for groceries and gas.
3% cash back at supermarkets ($6,000 max per year in purchases; 1% afterward).
2% cash back at gas stations and some department stores.
1% cash back on other eligible purchases.
Cash back is applied as statement credit.
- ANNUAL FEE: No annual fee.
You’ll also like…
- Travel protection. You’ll have access to the American Express Global Assist Hotline and Roadside Assistance Hotline, which you can use if you find yourself in a pinch on vacation. Also, get complimentary car rental insurance and travel accident insurance.
- Purchase benefits. Get free two-day shipping at ShopRunner, as well as extended warranties and purchase protection on eligible items.
- Cardmember-only entertainment. As a cardholder, you’ll have access to exclusive events and ticket presales.
What to watch out for
- Not as widely accepted overseas. Because the Blue Cash Everyday is an American Express card, you might not have as many opportunities to use it overseas as you would with a Visa or Mastercard. It also has a foreign transaction fee.
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could saddle you with fees as high as $38.
Consider other cards if…
- You don’t spend much on gas and groceries. You may get better cash back with a card like the Citi Double Cash.
- You’re looking for travel rewards. The Blue Cash Everyday card is not a card for travel. Instead, look for cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Barclaycard Arrival Plus.
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Blue Cash Everyday Card, you must be:
- At least 18 years old
- A U.S. citizen or resident
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the Blue Cash Everyday card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
How to apply for the card
1. On the American Express website, click the Apply Now button.
2. Fill out the application form. Provide information like your Social Security number, home address, income source and total annual income.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional credit card approval is automated on the website, you can get a decision on your application within 60 seconds.
I got the card — now what?
- Making payments. Register an account at the American Express website to pay your balance online. You can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoiding fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38.
- Customer service. Help documents aren’t easily accessible on the American Express website, but you can call 1-800-528-4800 for customer service. According to market research company J.D. Power, cardholders give American Express high marks in customer interaction.
The Blue Cash Everyday card offers solid cash back on groceries and gas. Since it has no annual fee, it’s an excellent choice if you want no-fuss cash back.