Sign up for a account online by following these seven steps.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Click or tap Join now.
- Review and agree to the terms and designate your eligibility qualification. Hit Done and then Get started.
- Choose Youth and enter your initial $5 deposit amount.
- Enter your child’s personal information, including their full name and Social Security number.
- Review the application.
- Fill in your funding details.
To be eligible for a Primeway Financial Freedom Fighters Savings account, you must check off the following requirements.
- Qualify for Primeway Credit Union membership
- Your child must be under 13 years old
- $5 minimum deposit
- An adult cosigner with a Primeway account
You’ll need to supply the following details during the application process.
- Full legal name name
- Government-issued ID
- Social Security number
- Contact information, including your phone number and email
- Employment information
Who is eligible to join Primeway?
You can join the Primeway credit union if you meet at least one of the following criteria.
- Live, work, worship or attend school in Houston, Texas or Washington, Fort Bend or Harris Counties
- Work for a participating Primeway partner
A Primeway kids savings account has heaps of perks.
- No monthly fee. There are no monthly maintenance fees to worry about with the Primeway Financial Freedom Fighters Savings account.
- Low opening deposit. While you’ll need at least $5 to sign up for the account, it’s comparable to some top savings accounts for kids, like Alliant’s Kid Savings account.
- No minimum age requirement. You can open a Primeway Financial Freedom Fighters Savings account for any child under 13 years old.
- ATM and debit card. This savings account comes with a kids ATM card that has the option to dual as a debit card. As with most savings accounts, you’re capped at six monthly withdrawals.
- Eligible for the Good Grades Program. Students with all As and Bs on their report cards can win up to $100 in cash prize when they apply for the Good Grades Program.
- Converts to a student account. When your child turns 13, it automatically converts into a Student Savings account, which is also free and comes with a debit card.
There are a few catches to the Primeway Financial Freedom Fighters Savings account.
- Low interest rate. Your kid savings account only earns 0.01% APY, which is lower than the national average of 0.06% APY.
- Overdraft fee. It’ll cost you $30 if you don’t have enough money to cover a transaction, and there are no other overdraft protection options for this account.
Explore and compare other savings accounts for kids by monthly fee, APY and minimum opening deposit.
Since the Primeway Financial Freedom Fighters Savings account is designed for children under 13, there are only a handful of ways to access the money in the account.
- ATM deposits and withdrawals
- Remote check deposits
- ACH transfers from a Primeway or external bank account
- Wire transfers
Primeway offers a few other savings accounts, including:
- Primeway Financial Primary Savings. A savings account with a $5 minimum opening deposit and a $100 minimum balance to earn 0.01% APY.
- Primeway Financial Holiday Savings. This account has the same features as a Primary Savings account but comes with penalty-free withdrawals between November 1 and December 31.
- Primeway Financial Money Market account. A money market account with tiered earnings between 0.05% and 0.13% APY, depending on your account balance. But you’ll need a minimum deposit of $2,500 to open the account and earn interest.
- Primeway Federal Certificates of deposit. Choose a CD with terms between six months and five years and interest rates ranging from 0.1% and 0.6% APY.
Aside from stopping into one of Primeway’s eight retail centers, the only way to speak to a customer service representative is by calling 713-799-6200 on weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. CT. If you don’t want to wait on hold, you can request a call back through Primeway’s Contact us page.
Kids’ debit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top debit cards for kids and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. We rate kids’ checking accounts by these factors: Monthly fee, features, ATM access, customer support options, and availability. We also consider APY as a factor only for those that earn interest. We rate prepaid debit cards for kids by these factors: monthly fees, features, customer support options and account availability.
Read the full methodology of how we rate Kids’ debit card accounts.