Popular Direct Ultimate Savings Account review
Weigh decent interest potential against a high opening deposit and a post-signup freeze.
Popular Direct’s Ultimate Savings comes with a strong APY that’s compounded daily and support when you need it. But an initial deposit of at least $5,000 and no access to your money for at least 60 days after opening might make you think twice.
$4 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Fee||$4 per month|
|To waive the fee||Maintain a daily balance of $500 or more|
|Minimum deposit to open||$5,000|
|Intro or bonus offer||APY offer is available only for a new Popular Direct Ultimate Savings account opened effective as of 09/09/2019.|
|Minimum balance to earn interest||$0.01|
|Monthly transaction limit||6|
|Fee per transaction over the limit||$5|
What are the benefits of the Popular Direct Ultimate Savings Account?
This FDIC-insured account is designed to help you save with online signup in minutes and benefits that include:
- High-interest savings. The strongest perk is a 2.4% APY across the board on balances of $0.01 to $100,000 or more.
- Nonstop support. Get help 24/7 by phone, email or online form.
- Free e-statements. Customers enrolled in e-statements can access the last five years for no extra fee.
What should I look out for?
A strong interest rate and 24/7 customer service make this account an attractive savings option. But watch for potential drawbacks that include:
- 60-day account freeze. The bank locks new accounts from withdrawals for two months — an unusual limitation for a savings account.
- High opening deposit. You’ll need at least $5,000 for account approval.
- Fees. You’ll pay $4 monthly if you can’t maintain a daily balance of $500. You also face fees for withdrawals or transfers beyond six monthly, if your account is inactive after 12 months and to close your account.
- No checking option. Popular focuses its products on savings, offering only this account and a CD.
- No branches or ATMs. You won’t be able to speak with a representative in person, and without an ATM card, you must rely on transfers to get money in and out of your account.
Compare with other savings accounts
How do I apply?
Open your account from Popular Direct’s website in seven easy steps.
- Click Savings from Popular Direct’s homepage.
- Scroll and click Apply now.
- Select individual or joint account ownership and click Continue. Or log in, if you already bank with Popular Direct.
- Enter your personal information, then click Continue.
- Enter your address and other contact details, and click Continue.
- Read and accept the account disclosures, and click Continue.
- Fund your account, choose your preferences and Submit your application.
- At least 18 years old
- Valid Social Security number
- US citizen and resident
- Valid passport or state-issued ID
- Initial deposit of at least $5,000
- Name and contact information
- Birthdate and Social Security number
- Government-issued ID
- Employment and income details
- Routing and account number for funding account
How do I deposit or withdraw money?
Without ATM access, access to your money is limited to transfers from outside bank accounts and depends on the transaction. You also can’t touch your cash until 60 days after you’ve opened your account.
- Mobile check deposit
- Direct deposit
- Online transfer
- Preauthorized withdrawals
- Online transfer
How do I contact Popular Direct customer service?
Get 24/7 help with your account in three ways:
- Call. Talk to a rep at 800-387-2331.
- Email. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail. Send correspondence to
Attn: Popular Direct Products
PO Box 4884
Miami Lakes, FL 33014
The Popular Direct Ultimate Savings Account offers a nice 2.4% APY with online signup in minutes. But this digital bank requires a high opening deposit of $5,000 and no access to your money for 60 days after signup.
For immediate flexibility, a lower minimum deposit or a bank that integrates checking with your savings, compare other savings accounts on the market.