Affordable liability coverage for your drone, only when you need it.
Considering the cost of drones and the damage they could cause in an accident, getting drone insurance is a good idea. But if you only fly a few times a year, you might save money with an on-demand option.
What is on-demand drone insurance?
Instead of spending hundreds on a full year of commercial drone insurance, you only pay for coverage when you need it. This gives you a flexible way to insure your drone — short-term coverage for a fraction of the cost. Many apps or websites offer insurance in minutes.
Is on-demand drone insurance worth it?
It can be if you’re someone who only uses your drone occasionally. On-demand drone insurance allows you to pick and choose the coverage that suits your situation and flying conditions.
Policies start at around $10 per hour, giving you $1 million in liability protection without the need to pay a deductible before coverage kicks in.
This type of coverage is ideal if you:
- Only fly a few times a year
- Fly your drone during certain seasons
- Need different liability limits depending on the job
Compare companies that offer on-demand drone insurance
How does on-demand drone insurance work?
On-demand drone insurance is just like regular drone insurance, but with more flexibility and less commitment. You can get coverage for as little as an hour or for a full day and can even extend your policy if you’re running out of time.
Once your coverage period is up, you’re free to purchase another policy from any provider the next time you need it, or stick with the same insurer.
How do I sign up for drone coverage on demand?
- Download the app of your preferred provider
- Enter your personal information
- Add flight details and coverage preferences
- Choose if you want coverage now or on a scheduled date
- If you’re happy with the price and coverage, purchase the policy
- Once you submit the application, you’ll immediately be covered and will receive an email with proof of insurance
On-demand drone insurance in action
James is a realtor who uses a handheld camera for interior pictures of client’s homes, but needs a drone for better exterior angles. He often works on expensive houses, so a drone accident could cost thousands of dollars.
Since he only lists about 10 houses per year, he finds on-demand insurance at a reasonable rate. Before he uses his drone at a client’s home, he simply fires up the app, configures his coverage requirements and flight details, then purchases a policy. Coverage costs him less than the price of his lunch and he receives an email with proof of insurance within minutes.
How do I file an on-demand drone insurance claim?
File a claim with your on-demand insurer after an incident that may result in a claim or suit. You’ll need to provide:
- Details of how, when and where the incident occurred
- The names and addresses of all involved parties and witnesses
- Details of injury or damage caused
- Your policy details
Primary drone insurance
Most on-demand drone insurance policies are considered primary policies, which means they pay out first if two separate insurance policies could cover the same claim. For example, if you have drone insurance and crash into someone’s car, your drone policy will act as the primary policy and immediately cover damage to their vehicle up to your coverage limit. Then their car insurance — as secondary insurance — covers any costs over your limit.
What does on-demand drone insurance cover?
Most on-demand drone insurance policies cover damage and injury to third parties. While coverage can vary depending on the provider, on-demand drone insurance often covers:
- Up to a two-mile flight radius
- Damage to third-party property
- Medical costs if you injure a third party
- Invasion of privacy
- Drones under 35 pounds
- Organized drone races
- Flyaway where you lose control of your drone
- Autonomous flight below 400 feet
What’s not covered by on-demand drone insurance?
Just like every other type of insurance, there are usually a few coverage exclusions that you’ll need to watch out for:
- Flights outside your selected radius
- Flights outside the US
- Damage to your drone, equipment or operator
- Damage when anyone other than the insured pilot is flying the drone
- Drones over 35 pounds
- Flights before or after your scheduled coverage time
- Flights in flight-restriction zones
Regardless of how you use your drone, accidents can happen. Commercial drone insurance can provide the protection you need. On-demand drone insurance provides coverage only when you need it, and at an affordable price.