Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare on-demand drone insurance
Pay as you go for liability coverage when you use your drone.
Updated . What changed?
How does on-demand drone insurance work?
On-demand coverage works just like regular drone insurance, but with more flexibility and less commitment. You can get coverage for as little as an hour or for a full day and can even extend your policy if you’re running out of time.
Once your coverage period is up, you’re free to purchase another policy from any provider the next time you need it or stick with the same insurer.
Case study: On-demand drone coverage in action
James is a realtor who uses a handheld camera for interior pictures of client’s homes, but needs a drone for better exterior angles. He often works on expensive houses, so a drone accident could cost thousands of dollars.
Since he only lists about 10 houses per year, he finds on-demand insurance at a reasonable rate. Before he uses his drone at a client’s home, he simply fires up the app, configures his coverage requirements and flight details, then purchases a policy. Coverage costs him less than the price of his lunch and he receives an email with proof of insurance within minutes.
Primary drone insurance
Most on-demand drone policies are considered primary policies, which means they pay out first if two separate insurance policies could cover the same claim. For example, if you have drone insurance and crash into someone’s car, your drone policy will act as the primary policy and immediately cover damage to their vehicle up to your coverage limit. Then their car insurance — as secondary insurance — covers any costs over your limit.
How much does on-demand drone insurance cost?
These short-term policies can go for $10 to $15 per hour, giving you as much as $1 million in liability protection without paying a deductible before coverage kicks in.
This type of coverage is ideal if you:
- Only fly a few times a year
- Fly your drone during certain seasons
- Need different liability limits depending on the job
What does on-demand drone insurance cover?
Most on-demand policies cover damage and injury to third parties. While coverage can vary depending on the provider, these situations may get covered:
- Up to a two-mile flight radius
- Damage to third-party property
- Medical costs if you injure a third party
- Invasion of privacy
- Drones under 35 pounds
- Organized drone races
- Flyaway where you lose control of your drone
- Autonomous flight below 400 feet
Does renters or home insurance cover damage to my drone?
It depends on your insurance company. But several renters or home insurance companies like State Farm cover drones under personal property. It may get classified as a drone or camera. Keep in mind that you typically can’t use your drone for business purposes under these policies.
To be sure about coverage, you can contact your renters or homeowners insurance company.
Our top pick: Progressive
Get unlimited discounts and score a lower deductible every 6 months you don't make a claim.
- Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience.
- Easy online sign-up and reporting.
- Multiple discounts available.
- Transparent quoting.
- Top-rated insurer
- Online quotes & claims
- Bundle and save
Compare companies that offer on-demand drone insurance
What’s not covered with this drone policy?
Just like every other type of insurance, there are usually a few coverage exclusions that you’ll need to watch out for:
- Flights outside your selected radius
- Flights outside the US
- Damage to your drone, equipment or operator
- Damage when anyone other than the insured pilot is flying the drone
- Drones over 35 pounds
- Flights before or after your scheduled coverage time
- Flights in flight-restriction zones
How do I sign up?
- Download the app of your preferred provider
- Enter your personal information
- Add flight details and coverage preferences
- Choose if you want coverage now or on a scheduled date
- If you’re happy with the price and coverage, purchase the policy
- Once you submit the application, you’ll immediately be covered and will receive an email with proof of insurance
How do I file a claim with an on-demand drone policy?
File a claim with your insurance company after an incident that may result in a claim or suit. You’ll need to provide:
- Details of how, when and where the incident occurred
- The names and addresses of all involved parties and witnesses
- Details of injury or damage caused
- Your policy details
Regardless of how you use your drone, accidents can happen. Commercial drone insurance can provide the protection you need. On-demand drone insurance provides coverage only when you need it for a short time at an affordable price.
Common questions about on-demand drone coverage
Ask an Expert