Northpointe Bank lets you open some accounts online, but to open a Kids Savings account, you need to either:
- Visit the bank’s branch in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Email a representative at email@example.com
- Phone by calling 888-672-5626 on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET
To open a Northpointe Bank Kid’s Savings account, you and your child must meet the following requirements.
- US citizens and residents
- Child must be under 18
- Parent or guardian must be over 18
- Minimum initial deposit of $10
You’ll be asked to provide the following information about yourself and your child when opening this account.
- Full names
- Dates of birth
- Social Security numbers
- Phone number
- Details from a government-issued ID
Northpointe Bank Kid’s Savings has a couple of benefits that might entice you to open an account.
- Competitive APYs. Earn 1.5% APY on balances up to $1,000, and earn 1.12% APY on balances from $1,000.01 to $9,999.99. Balances of $10,000 or more earn 0.35% APY, which still beats many banks.
- Any balance earns interest. Unlike some banks, Northpointe allows any balance in the account to accrue interest.
Before opening an account, keep these drawbacks in mind.
- Can’t open online. You’ll need to call or email the bank to request an application. Then you’ll have to print and complete the application before photographing it and emailing it back, along with a photo of your ID.
- One branch. Northpointe Bank welcomes customers from across the country, but it only has a single branch in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- No ATM access. You can’t withdraw funds from this account at an ATM unless you have a linked Northpointe checking account.
- Limited customer support. Support isn’t available on the weekends. You can only speak with a representative on the weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
- Converts to an adult account. Once your child turns 18, the account automatically converts to Northpointe Bank Ultimate Savings account. This account earns 0.0% on balances below $100, 0.25% on balances between $100 and $4,999.99 and 0.35% on balances above $5,000.
See how Northpointe stacks up against other kids’ savings accounts based on their interest rates and minimum opening deposits.
There are a few ways to move money into and out of this account.
- Incoming ACH transfer
- Incoming transfer from linked Northpointe account
- Mobile check deposit via the Northpointe app
- Incoming wire transfer
- Mail a check to 5303 28th Street Ct SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
- Cash deposit at Northpointe’s branch in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Outgoing ACH transfer
- Outgoing transfer to a linked Northpointe account
- Outgoing wire transfer for $25
- Cashier’s check for $5
Northpointe offers several other savings options aside from this account.
- Northpointe Bank Ultimate Savings. This account requires a $100 minimum deposit and earns 1.75% APY on balances below $5,000 and 0.35% APY on balances above $5,000.
- Northpointe Bank Ultimate Money Market. Open this account with a $1,000 minimum deposit, but you’ll only earn interest on balances above $2,500.
- Northpointe Bank Interest Checking. Earn tiered interest rates ranging from 0.3% APY to APY, but only if your balance is above $2,500.
- Northpointe Bank CDs. Earn up to 0.35% APY on CDs with terms ranging from one week to five years.
If you have questions or need help with your account, you contact a representative in the following ways.
- Call 888-672-5626 on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.
Read the full methodology of how we rate savings accounts.