Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card review
Get an annual free night worth up to $350 — more than twice the cost of the card.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get this card if you frequently stay at Marriott Bonvoy properties, or if you can take advantage of the card’s 4x-points categories.
- Pick something else if you want general travel rewards.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 6x
15.74% to 24.74%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||Earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 of eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.|
|Purchase APR||15.74% to 24.74% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card is a $125-annual-fee card for small-business owners. In truth, it’s quite similar to the Marriott consumer card offerings, though with a few extra business trappings. It offers 6x points at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties, 4x points at US restaurants, US gas stations, US service providers, US purchases for shipping and 2x points on all other purchases. You’ll also earn 75,000 points after you make $3,000 in purchases with your card within the first 3 months, up to $150 in statement credits on eligible purchases within your first 3 months, and a free night award every year after your card anniversary.
According to our current valuations, 6x points translates to a 5.4% reward rate, which is excellent. The card’s bonus rewards on eligible dining, gas, wireless phone service and shipping are quite good as well, coming out to a 3.6% reward rate. These are good rates for the annual fee, especially considering the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant, the consumer counterpart, has comparable rates at a higher annual fee.
You’ll also enjoy expense management tools and free employee cards if you choose. That’s about where the business differences end however. Like the consumer cards, you’ll earn complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status with this card with enrollment. It’s not the most valuable elite tier, but one with late checkout based on availability and a 10% points bonus on bookings and gets you on your way to Gold Elite status.
Finally, there’s the card’s Free Night Award after every card anniversary — worth up to $315 according to our current valuations. This adds terrific value to the card for essentially no cost and it more than covers the annual fee of the card. Plus, you can earn an additional free night award each year after you spend $60,000.
On the whole, this is a great business card that packs a lot of value into a small cost.
How to apply for the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income, Social Security number and business information.
- Review and submit your application.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, you must be:
- 18 years or older.
- A US resident.
Information you’ll need
- To complete the application, you’ll need to provide information about yourself and your business, including:
- Your name and residential address.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your email address, phone number and date of birth.
- Financial information like your annual income and your monthly rent or mortgage.
- The name of your business, its mailing address and its phone number.
- Your employee count, business type and business structure.
- Your years in business, annual business revenue and monthly business spending.
- Your business’s federal tax ID.
How long will it take to get my Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card?
Because conditional credit card approval is automated on the website, you may get a decision on your application within just a minute. If there are issues with your application, it may take a few business days to a few weeks to hear back.
After you’re approved, you’ll typically receive your card within 7 to 10 business days.
Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card perks
- Welcome offer: 75,000 bonus points. Also earn up to $150 in statement credits over your first 3 months. To earn this welcome offer, make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. You can earn your statement credit on most eligible purchases, excluding certain purchases such as gift cards, person-to-person payments, cash advances and the like. For the price of the card, this is a terribly strong welcome offer. The statement credits are icing on the cake and essentially pay for the cost of the card when you earn them.
- Rewards: Up to 6x points. You’ll earn 6x points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels. In addition, you’ll earn 4x points at US restaurants and US gas stations as well as on eligible US wireless service and US shipping. This means you don’t have to travel often to squeeze significant rewards from the card. You’ll earn 2x points on all other eligible purchases. These points are worth roughly $0.01 cent each based on Finder’s recent valuations and you can redeem your points for rewards like nights at Marriott Bonvoy properties, as well as flights and car rentals through Marriott Bonvoy’s airline program. You can also transfer points to more than 40 frequent-flyer programs at a 3:1 ratio.
- Complimentary Silver Elite status. You’ll earn Silver Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program with enrollment. That means you’ll receive complimentary in-room Internet access, a 10% points bonus on eligible spending, priority late checkout and a dedicated Elite reservation line.
- Free Night Award. A great perk that helps you recoup the value of your annual fee. Every year after your card account anniversary, you’ll receive a Free Night Award. This is good for one night that costs 35,000 or fewer points.
- Elite Night Credit. You’ll receive credits for 15 nights toward higher Elite status within 60 days from account opening. You’ll receive these credits every calendar year. With the combined Marriott Bonvoy program, it takes 25 to 49 nights a year to reach Gold Elite and 50 to 74 nights to reach Platinum Elite.
- Points boost for eligible point transfers. For every 60,000 points you transfer, Marriott International will add a 15,000-point bonus. On your transfer at a 3:1 ratio, that means you’ll receive 25,000 miles instead of 20,000.
- No foreign transaction fees. You won’t incur fees when you use your card abroad or at foreign websites. Typically, providers charge a 3% fee each time you use your card for an international transaction. It doesn’t sound like much, but it can add up over a trip spanning several days. Since the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card comes with no foreign transaction fees, it can be a good choice for vacations or business trips.
- Wi-Fi access. Receive complimentary in-room, premium Internet access at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels. Also, receive free unlimited Wi-Fi at more than 1 million hotspots worldwide through the Boingo American Express Preferred Plan.
- Expense management tools. Add employee cards at no extra cost and at no additional annual fee. If you’d like, you can designate an Account Manager that has administrative access to your account. Get access to the American Express® Business App, which lets you add notes and receipts to your transactions online, as well as Year-End Summaries of charges on your card.To make recordkeeping easier, you can label your transactions and transfer them to QuickBooks.
- Travel benefits. When you purchase the entire fare of your eligible transportation ticket with your Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, you’re covered by the American Express Baggage Insurance Plan. This insures your bags against theft, damage or accidental loss according to American Express’s terms. Access the Global Assist Hotline when you’re more than 100 miles from home, which provides medical, financial, legal and other emergency services. Lastly, you’ll enjoy travel benefits when you pay for a car rental with your Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card and decline the collision damage waiver, the vehicle is covered against damage or theft.
- Purchase benefits. You can access Amex Offers by enrolling through your Amex account. Using Amex offers, you can receive extra rewards and discounts at select retail and dining partners.
Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card drawbacks
- Annual fee: $125. You’ll pay an annual fee of $125 to own the card (Terms apply, see rates & fees). While the card perks more than make up for this fee, you’ll need to remember to use them to offset this cost.
- No balance transfers. American Express doesn’t allow balance transfers to this card. However, there are many business credit cards that allow balance transfers.
- Penalty APR. American Express may apply a penalty APR for all balances of 29.24% variable if you make two or more late payments in a 12-month period, fail to make the minimum payment by the due date or make a returned payment. This penalty APR will apply to your account for at least 12 consecutive billing periods.
Compare business credit cards
Want to know how the Marriott stacks up against other business cards? Select your credit score and click Show cards to compare up to four cards side-by-side.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What size business is the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card good for?
This product is especially effective for businesses that often send employees on business trips. But with the new rewards structure, it can be a good pick even if you don’t spend much on travel. That’s because it offers accelerated points in more business categories: US restaurants, US gas stations and wireless telephone services purchased directly from US service providers.
Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card reviews and complaints
The American Express Company has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1948 and earns an overall A+ rating as of May 2021. However, 90% of its reviews are negative and it has nearly 3,400 customer complaints. Amex cardholders in general complain of rude customer service reps, missing statement credit and issues disputing charges.
The company earns a Trustpilot score of 2 out of 5 as of May 2021. Many negative reviews cite unhelpful customer service and inflexible company policies. Positive reviews say the company employs pleasant customer service representatives.
I got the card. Now what?
- Enroll in Silver Elite status. You can’t take advantage of your complimentary Silver Elite status without first enrolling yourself in the program using your card.
- Add employee cards. Log on to your Amex account to assign employee cards at no cost. Employees can earn rewards to your account on their purchases.
- Set up expense management. Amex offers a few useful tools for managing your expenses, which can help keep things tidy when its time to review your business finances.
- Contact customer service. Help documents aren’t easily accessible on the American Express website, but you can call 1-800-528-4800 to speak with a customer service rep. According to market research company JD Power, cardholders give American Express high marks in customer interaction.
The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card is a great choice for businesses with employees on the move. Whether you frequently stay at Marriott Bonvoy hotels or simply want to save up for an occasional stay, this card can help you maximize your rewards. Plus, the card’s annual free night more than pays for the cost of the card.
Looking for other travel card options? Compare more business credit cards to find one that suits your business needs.
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
Images: American Express
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.