Kroger REWARDS Prepaid Visa® Card review
Earn rewards points at Kroger stores — but watch out for fees.
Kroger recently replaced its 1-2-3 Rewards Prepaid Card with the Kroger REWARDS Prepaid Visa® Card. Designed for regular shoppers, the reloadable card is easy to use and offers points that are redeemable for groceries and fuel discounts. The fees are pricey, so be wary of using your card at ATMs and for international travel.
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
Katia Iervasi is a writer from sunny Sydney, Australia. Her writing — and curiosity — has taken her around the world, and she now calls chaotic, creative New York home. With a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance, mortgages and finance for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
If you do most of your shopping at Kroger stores, it’s worth looking into this prepaid Visa card. It’s simple to use, and you can earn rewards for everyday purchases like groceries and gas.
But the maintenance and ATM fees can be hefty. But it may not be worth if if you want free ATMs and a way to waive monthly fees.
What you’ll like about the Kroger prepaid card
The Kroger REWARDS Prepaid Visa® Card comes with the features that most prepaid card users expect, like a speedy application process, direct deposit and access to a wide network of ATMs. It also boasts these benefits:
- Rewards program. You’ll earn points every time you make a purchase with your prepaid card at participating Kroger stores. For every 1,000 points you earn, you’ll receive a $5 electronic coupon. Use your card to buy fuel at Kroger gas stations, and you’ll score a discount of 5 cents per gallon.
- Integrated app. Manage your card, view your transaction history, and set savings goals on the Kroger Rewards Prepaid app. There’s also a Kroger Pay integration that allows you to use the app to pay for purchases in-store.
- Direct deposit bonus. At the time of writing, Kroger is offering a $10 bonus for enrolling in direct deposit.
- Works worldwide. Jetting off? You can use the prepaid card overseas — just be aware of the international transaction fees.
- High daily withdrawals. The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $1,220, and the cash load limit is $5,000 — which is better than most prepaid cards.
What to watch out for
Look for fees and card limits along with other drawbacks with this card, like:
- Monthly maintenance fee. Kroger charges $4.95 per month.
- ATM fees. You’ll pay $2.50 every time you dip your card into an ATM to withdraw funds — even if it’s an in-network ATM. If you’re just checking your balance, the fee is $0.50 for domestic ATMs, and $1 everywhere else.
- International transaction fees. Whenever you buy something from a foreign merchant or withdraw cash from a foreign ATM, you’ll pay 3% of the dollar amount.
- Card limits. The daily spending limit is $2,525, which is slightly lower than most prepaid cards. The maximum card balance is $10,000.
- Other fees. It costs $3 to replace a lost or stolen card, $15 for card replacement expedited delivery, and $1.50 to buy the prepaid card in the store.
If you want free ATMs and a way to waive monthly fees, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when considering a prepaid card.
Compare with other prepaid cards
Where can I use my Kroger prepaid card?
Use your prepaid card at any store under the Kroger Family of Brands umbrella:
- Foods Co
- Jay C Food Store
- City Market
- Harris Teeter
- Fred Meyer
- Food 4 less
- King Soopers
- Quality Food Centers (QFC)
- Smith’s Food and Drug
- Owens Market
- Pay-Less Super Markets
How does the Kroger prepaid card rewards point system work?
You’ll earn points each time you make an eligible purchase with your card:
- 1 point per $1 net eligible purchases outside Kroger stores
- 2 points per $1 net eligible purchases inside Kroger stores
- 3 points per $1 net eligible purchases on Kroger Family of Brands inside Kroger stores
Once you have at least 1,000 points, a $5 electronic coupon will automatically be loaded to your account.
How do I get the Kroger REWARDS Prepaid Visa® Card?
You can purchase a temporary card at Kroger stores for $1.50 and start using it right away while you wait for your permanent card.
Otherwise, you can apply for the card online for free. The application takes about five minutes. These are the steps:
- Go to the Kroger Prepaid website. On the homepage, click Get a Card
- Select the store you shop at the most. You’ll get a shopper number that’s linked to this store.
- Enter your personal information and proceed to the next step.
- Fill out your personal and contact information, and agree to the card’s terms and conditions. Click Continue.
- Verify your details. Press Submit.
To get the card, you must be:
- At least 18 years old
- A US citizen or permanent resident
Have this information handy:
- Social Security number
- Personal, contact and citizenship details
- Physical US address
You can load your Kroger prepaid card in five ways:
- Direct deposit. Set up direct deposit to automatically load a portion of your paycheck and government benefits to the card.
- Online transfers. Send money from your PayPal or bank account to your prepaid card.
- Mobile check deposit. Use the app to deposit checks to the card. There’s no fee for this, but it will take around 10 days for the funds to clear.
- Cash. Load $10 to $1,000 cash onto your card at Kroger stores. The fee is $3, and the funds are immediately available to use. Or, reload your card via Visa ReadyLink.
- Card-to-card transfers. Log into the app to move money between your Kroger cards.
How long will it take to get my card?
If you apply for the card online, you’ll receive it in the mail within 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
Make the most of your new card by following these tips:
- Activate the card. Once you get your card, set up your account and activate the card so you can start using it.
- Fund your card. Load up to $1,000 cash daily.
- Enroll in direct deposit. Opt to send up to $5,000 of your paycheck, tax refunds, government benefit checks and other recurring checks to your prepaid card. It’s free to enroll, and you’ll get a one-time $10 bonus after your first direct deposit.
- Contact customer service. Call 888-371-8966 from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to midnight, and Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. EST.
- Sign up for alerts. If you want to receive text or email alerts, you can do that online or by calling customer service.