Compare money transfer services and save when sending money to the US.
Sending money to the US doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. By comparing the exchange rates of banks and money transfer services, you can find a deal that works for your and your recipient in the US.
World First International Money Transfers
Most Convenient money transfers with excellent customer service. Send to 140+ currencies in 45 countries.
Special $0 fee offer for finder.com readers:
Because World First is a trusted partner of finder.com, you can send your money transfer overseas for free.
- Enjoy competitive exchange rates.
- Get even better exchange rates with forward contracts and limit orders.
- Receive weekly updates on market exchange rates.
Compare your options for transferring funds to the US
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer is a service that exchanges one currency for another. You can begin the process either online, in person or over the phone. The provider will then take money from your bank account or use the cash you’ve given, exchange it and send it to your recipient’s bank account. If your recipient has decide to pick up cash, be sure they have the tracking number to ensure the transfer goes smoothly on both ends.Back to top
Banks vs. money transfer companies
We use our banks to take care of all our other financial needs, so surely we should use them when we need to send an international money transfer, right? Not necessarily. While major banks offer money transfer services, they usually present less competitive exchange rates coupled with high transfer fees.
You can often save money by using the services of a dedicated money transfer company. These providers specialize in handling overseas money transfers, offering attractive exchange rates and affordable transfer fees. This translates to big savings for you.
Today’s exchange rates
|1 USD =||1.0000||1.2809 Inverse: 0.7807||1.2699 Inverse: 0.7875||0.814405 Inverse: 1.2279||6.3620 Inverse: 0.1572||0.719976 Inverse: 1.3889||65.038333 Inverse: 0.0154||18.8109 Inverse: 0.0532||52.128 Inverse: 0.0192|
|1 AUD =||0.7807 Inverse: 1.2809||1.0000||0.9914 Inverse: 1.0087||0.6358 Inverse: 1.5728||4.9670 Inverse: 0.2013||0.5621 Inverse: 1.7790||50.7772 Inverse: 0.0197||14.6862 Inverse: 0.0681||40.6978 Inverse: 0.0246|
|1 EUR =||1.2279 Inverse: 0.8144||1.5728 Inverse: 0.6358||1.5592 Inverse: 0.6413||1.0000||7.8118 Inverse: 0.1280||0.884052 Inverse: 1.1312||79.859925 Inverse: 0.0125||23.0977 Inverse: 0.0433||64.0075 Inverse: 0.0156|
|1 GBP =||1.3889 Inverse: 0.7200||1.7790 Inverse: 0.5621||1.7637 Inverse: 0.5670||1.1312 Inverse: 0.8841||8.8364 Inverse: 0.1132||1.0000||90.334017 Inverse: 0.0111||26.1271 Inverse: 0.0383||72.4024 Inverse: 0.0138|
Case Study: Michael sends money to the US
The tech company that Michael works for in California is transferring him to their offices in London for a year to spearhead a new department there. He doesn’t want to uproot his family, so his wife and kids will be staying behind in the US Because he will be sending money home on a regular basis, he compares two money transfer providers to ensure that he gets the best deal. Michael figures he will be transferring $2,000 to his wife each month.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||1 EUR = 1.056 USD||1 EUR = 1.072 USD|
|Transfer time||2 days||2 days|
|Transfer options||Online, phone||Online, phone|
|Amount received less the transfer fee||$2,113 USD||$2,134 USD|
What’s the difference?
Although the first service provider doesn’t charge a fee, the second provider’s superior exchange rate allows Michael’s wife to receive $21 more.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to the US?
Michael’s case highlights the importance of looking at all of the features of a transfer company before making a final decision. When doing your own research, check the following with each company you’re interested in:
- Competitive exchange rate. Small differences in the exchange rate can make a big difference when transferring large amounts of money. This is an area where you could potentially incur losses if you are not careful.
- Little to no fees. Fees can vary greatly depending on the institution and the currencies involved.
- A range of transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch and/or by using a mobile app?
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Convenient pick-up methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Reliable customer service. What sort of customer support is offered and during what hours can you receive assistance?
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate is how much one country’s currency is worth compared to another. The dollar (USD) is generally strong against most global currencies, although the pound and euro are worth more. For example, for every euro you send, your recipient would receive a little over a dollar in return. If you sent a Mexican peso, however, is weak against the dollar. This means you would need to send 100 pesos to get one dollar. Comparing exchange rates is the most important part of sending money, so be sure your money transfer company is offering you a good rate.
Compare USD exchange rates
Ways to send money to the US
As one of the world’s most widely accepted currencies, you will find there is a large number of ways in which you can transfer your money to the US
- Bank transfers. Most major banks offer wire transfers to the US
- Money transfer providers. Online providers like TransferWise and WorldRemit can help you transfer money quickly and easily. World First and OFX are both trusted partners of Finder.com and are offering Finder readers an exclusive deal of $0 in fees.
- Transfer companies with cash pickup. Providers like Western Union and MoneyGram offer this service — your recipient can sometimes pick up the cast within minutes.
- PayPal. You can send money abroad using your PayPal account.
Steps to send money to the US
- Choose a money transfer provider from our comparison table.
- Click Go to Site and compare the rates and fees offered.
- Enter your recipient’s information.
- Pay for your transfer and write down the tracking number.
- Follow up on the progress of your transfer to confirm everything goes smoothly.
What documentation do I need?
To send money using a money transfer provider, you should make note of the following:
- The recipient’s full name. The beneficiary of a cash transfer will need to show photo identification. Be sure that the name you put on the order is the same as what shows on the ID.
- Your full name. As an additional security measure, the agent may ask for the name of the sender, be sure that the recipient knows your complete name.
- Your recipient’s contact information. Have the address and phone number of the person receiving the funds. They should also have this information for you.
- Transaction number. There will be a transaction number given when you make the transfer. Your recipient will need to give this to the agent before the cash is released.
Sending money to a particular state in the US?
How safe is a money transfer?
When processed through a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. When sending money internationally, federal protections are in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
Tips for picking up cash in the US
Picking up cash can be dangerous if you’re in an area that is prone to crime, but even if you aren’t, it’s smart to be aware of your surroundings and keep your cash hidden. Take a friend and deposit your cash into your bank account as soon as possible, and always keep safety your top priority.