Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Samoa
Find the best exchange rates and lowest fees so you can save money when you need to transfer funds to Samoa.
Sending money to Samoa doesn’t have to be a difficult task. If you’re looking for a convenient, inexpensive way to convert your dollars to Samoan talas, take the time to research your options. By comparing transfer fees, exchange rates and processing time, you could find a deal that makes sending money as simple as clicking a few buttons.
Send money to Samoa with CurrencyTransfer
Exclusive: Minimum transfer of $1,000 for Finder readers (normally $5,000).
CurrencyTransfer lets you shop around for the best exchange rate on its online marketplace.
- Get the best foreign exchange rates available from this online marketplace
- Fast 1-2 day delivery to bank accounts
- Price-match guarantee if you find a better price elsewhere
Compare money transfer services to Samoa
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Best ways to send money to Samoa
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Samoa. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like XE and OFX specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to Samoa. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in Samoa, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like MoneyGram and WorldRemit allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Samoa— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe Somoan tala may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to Samoa.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to SamoaLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Samoa. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of March 11, 2021.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$4||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 2.505 WST||1 USD = 2.506 WST||1 USD = 2.224 WST|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Samoa. A digital transfer sends the most, which is WST$337 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Samoa in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Samoa online
Sign up and send money to Samoa with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in Samoa.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Samoa. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to Samoa
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to Samoa. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–WST relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Somoan tala rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–WST exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Somoan talas you're sending to Samoa.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Samoa.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in Samoa or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
How to send money to Samoa without a bank accountIf you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up Somoan talas without a bank account.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to Samoa quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
Samoa's exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much Samoa's currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-WST relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to WST
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in Samoa may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to Samoa
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to Samoa should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in Samoa:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to Samoa from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in Samoa.
Sending your hard-earned money to Samoa shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Review: Venmo app for cryptocurrency
Venmo provides a convenient way to send money to friends, and now users can buy cryptocurrency like Bitcoin with as little as $1.
Lemonade car insurance review for 2021
Safe drivers and electric car owners could see cheap rates, but its claims process isn’t perfect.
T. Rowe Price review
Features, fees and complaints to consider before you apply for a T. Rowe Price account.
Edward Jones review
Edward Jones is a full-service brokerage firm that grants every investment account access to a financial advisor.
Fidelity Cash Management account review
Fidelity’s cash management account lets you avoid unlimited ATM fees, but it earns little interest.
SmartyPig Savings account review
With no fees and a 0.7% APY, Smartypig is among today’s best savings accounts.
Divorce Forms Filler review
An online DIY service that charges a flat rate to generate your divorce paperwork — but watch out for the automatic membership fee.
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Ask an Expert