Find the best exchange rates and lowest fees so you can save money when you need to transfer funds to Samoa.
Our pick: WorldRemit International Money Transfers
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare money transfer services to Samoa
Banks versus money transfer companies
All major US banks offer international wire transfers as part of their suite of financial products and services, but subpar exchange rates and high fees are the norm.
You can find a much more affordable money transfer solution if you use a dedicated transfer company. Companies like MoneyGram specialize in sending funds across international borders while offering better exchange rates and lower fees. Transfers are safe and convenient and, if you choose the right provider, you can save yourself some money while sending more to your recipient in Samoa.
George sends money to SamoaGeorge is living and working in the United States for a few years in an effort to save up a deposit to buy a house back home in Samoa. He wants to find the most affordable way to send money to his family, and rather than use his bank, he decides to look for a money transfer company. He compares the fees and features offered by two companies when he sends $500 to Samoa.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $2.65 WST||$1 USD = $2.69 WST|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup||Mobile wallet transfer|
|Processing time||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in WST)||$1,325||$1,345|
As you can see, George can send an extra $20 WST and save $2 USD in transfer fees if he sends his money with the second company.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Samoa
- Exchange rates. Check the company’s exchange rate against market value. The closer it is, the better deal you’re getting.
- Fees. Money transfer companies and banks charge a fee to send money to a different country, but you may be able to find one with a lower fee or a discount for sending a larger amount.
- Transfer methods. Different companies offer different transfer methods, including online transfers, phone transfers, branch transfers and mobile app transfers. Choose one that works for you.
- Transfer options. Will you need to lock in a rate now, or would you rather wait until a specific exchange rate is met? The options you have depend on the company, so research your options.
- Turnaround time. How fast you need the money transfered may matter. If you want a speedy transfer, pick a company that can get your money to your recipient without charging hefty fees.
- Pickup methods. Ask your recipient how they want to get their cash. Some companies allow cash pickup while others only make deposits directly into a bank account.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is used to determine how much a currency is worth when converted to the currency of a different country. The US dollar is strong against the Samoan tala, which means you’ll be able to send more talas to your recipient without having to pay extra. As of September 2018, the amount was about 2.58 WST per 1 USD. This rate is flexible and can change frequently, so check back often if you’ll be sending regular transfers to Samoa.
How to send money to Samoa through an independent transfer provider
To send a transfer to Samoa, follow this simple steps.
- Compare your money transfer options.
- Click Go to site when you’re ready to start.
- Create an account with the provider.
- Enter information about your recipient.
- Select how much money you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Save your receipt or tracking number.
You can use your tracking number to keep tabs on the progress of your transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in Samoa
There are certain situations when you might need to send a transfer as quickly as possible. When you do need to send an emergency transfer, know that you’ll usually have to pay extra in order to get your funds to your recipient as soon as possible. Make sure to check the exchange rate and fees that apply so you know exactly how much it will cost.
Tips for picking up cash in Samoa
Here’s how you can stay safe when picking up cash from a transfer agent in Samoa.
- Only visit an agent in an area you know to be safe.
- Ask a friend or traveling companion to accompany you.
- Don’t advertise the fact that you have a wallet full of cash to strangers.
- Don’t carry around a large sum of money longer than necessary.
When you’re looking to make a money transfer to Samoa, avoid costly fees and poor exchange rates by comparing your options. While there aren’t tons of companies that work with the tala, there are some that can help you get money to your recipient without causing frustration. To learn more about the process, read more about international money transfers so you’re prepared to make the best decision for your wallet.