Adrienne Fuller is the head of publishing at Finder. With a decade of experience creating guides in finance and education, she aims to deliver the accurate and transparent information she wishes she had when she made some of life's important financial decisions. For the past 3 years she has been the publisher of money transfers, helping readers save when they send money all over the globe. She has a BA from Colorado College and loves to hike with her two Catahoula dogs around her home in San Diego.
US Dollar to Samoan Tala Exchange Rate
Refreshing in: 60s | Mon, Feb 17, 12:55AM GMT
- Cheap transfers
- Bank-beating exchange rates
- Safe and reliable
Our pick: OFX International Money Transfers
OFX offers flexible transfer options, 24/7 customer support and no maximum limit. Send a minimum of $1,000 per year.
- $0 transfer fees. Send fee-free transfers to over 195 countries worldwide.
- Transfers in 55 currencies. OFX supports major, minor and exotic currencies.
- Flexible options. Choose from forward contracts to scheduled transfers for convenience and flexibility.
Get the best exchange rate between the US dollar and Samoan tala
For travelers to Samoa, you’ll typically get the best exchange rate once you arrive in the country. You can find several reputable currency exchange companies in the airport that’ll exchange USD to WST at competitive exchange rates.
Another option to get tala when traveling to Samoa is to:
- Withdraw tala using an ATM card. Several large Australian banks like Westpac and ANZ have branches and ATMs in Samoa. Keep in mind the fees that come with using your credit or debit card overseas. Since Samoa is still a mostly cash-based country, it’s also worth noting that ATMs may be few and far between outside of the capital city.
- Transfer money to Samoa. These transactions can easily be processed using an online money transfer service. When deciding which provider to use, choose one that offers a combination of good exchange rates, inexpensive fees and fast transaction times.
|Bank notes:||$1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100|
|Coins:||1c, 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c|
|Currency Symbol:||WS$ (sometimes SAT, ST or T)|
|Bank notes:||2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 tālā|
|Coins:||10, 20, 50 sene, 1 and 2 tālā|
What affects exchange rates between the US dollar and the Samoan tala?
The exchange rate between the Samoan tala and the US dollar is managed by the Central Bank of Samoa under a currency peg system. As of 2018, the tala is pegged to four currencies that are weighted according to the share they make up of Samoan trade, they are:
- US dollar
- Australian dollar
- New Zealand dollar
- The euro
Since the tala is pegged to a few different currencies, the exchange rates of those other currencies compared to the US dollar also have an effect on the exchange rate between USD and WST. Also, due to New Zealand being such an important trading partner for Samoa, the New Zealand dollar has a large influence on the value of the tala when compared to the US dollar.
Because of the managed exchange rates, the value of the Samoan tala doesn’t respond to supply and demand in a way other currencies do. However, the Samoan economy can still impact the value of the tala and the central bank uses that information when fixing the exchange rate.
Send money from USD to WST
How does the Samoan tala trade against the US dollar historically?
- Until 1984, the value of the Samoan tala was fixed to the New Zealand dollar, meaning the exchange rate between the tala and the US dollar followed the rate between the New Zealand dollar and US dollar.
- Other than a temporary drop in value following the Financial Crisis in 2008-2009, the exchange rate between the tala and dollar has mostly traded around 2.5 tala per dollar.
Because of the peg system in place in Samoa, the exchange rate between the tala and the US dollar has been fairly stable over the past 10 years.
US Dollar to the Samoan Tala for the last 10 days
|Feb 07||Feb 08||Feb 09||Feb 10||Feb 11||Feb 12||Feb 13||Feb 14||Feb 15||Feb 16|
|1 USD =||2.6640 Inverse: 0.3754||2.6897 Inverse: 0.3718||2.6896 Inverse: 0.3718||2.6760 Inverse: 0.3737||2.6776 Inverse: 0.3735||2.6777 Inverse: 0.3735||2.6682 Inverse: 0.3748||2.6697 Inverse: 0.3746||2.6878 Inverse: 0.3721||2.6878 Inverse: 0.3721|
US Dollar to the Samoan Tala for the last 10 months
|Apr 2019||May 2019||Jun 2019||Jul 2019||Aug 2019||Sep 2019||Oct 2019||Nov 2019||Dec 2019||Jan 2020|
|1 USD =||2.6063 Inverse: 0.3837||2.6269 Inverse: 0.3807||2.6224 Inverse: 0.3813||2.6402 Inverse: 0.3788||2.6624 Inverse: 0.3756||2.6409 Inverse: 0.3787||2.6527 Inverse: 0.3770||2.6502 Inverse: 0.3773||2.6491 Inverse: 0.3775||2.6228 Inverse: 0.3813|
US Dollar to the Samoan Tala for the last 10 years
|Feb 2010||Feb 2011||Feb 2012||Feb 2013||Feb 2014||Feb 2015||Feb 2016||Feb 2017||Feb 2018||Feb 2019|
|1 USD =||2.5742 Inverse: 0.3885||2.3661 Inverse: 0.4226||2.2914 Inverse: 0.4364||2.2727 Inverse: 0.4400||2.3370 Inverse: 0.4279||2.4957 Inverse: 0.4007||2.5984 Inverse: 0.3849||2.5366 Inverse: 0.3942||2.4803 Inverse: 0.4032||2.6072 Inverse: 0.3836|
Market rate for common transfer amounts USD to WST
|US Dollars (USD)||Samoan Tala (WST)|
Ask an Expert