Adrienne Fuller is the head of publishing at Finder. With a decade of experience creating guides in finance and education, she aims to deliver the accurate and transparent information she wishes she had when she made some of life's important financial decisions. For the past 3 years she has been the publisher of money transfers, helping readers save when they send money all over the globe. She has a BA from Colorado College and loves to hike with her two Catahoula dogs around her home in San Diego.
US Dollar to Samoan Tala Exchange Rate
Refreshing in: 60s | Mon, Oct 14, 01:08AM GMT
- Cheap transfers
- Bank-beating exchange rates
- Safe and reliable
Our pick: OFX International Money Transfers
OFX offers flexible transfer options, 24/7 customer support and no maximum limit. Send a minimum of $1,000 per year.
- $0 transfer fees. Send fee-free transfers to over 195 countries worldwide.
- Transfers in 55 currencies. OFX supports major, minor and exotic currencies.
- Flexible options. Choose from forward contracts to scheduled transfers for convenience and flexibility.
Get the best exchange rate between the US dollar and Samoan tala
For travelers to Samoa, you’ll typically get the best exchange rate once you arrive in the country. You can find several reputable currency exchange companies in the airport that’ll exchange USD to WST at competitive exchange rates.
Another option to get tala when traveling to Samoa is to:
- Withdraw tala using an ATM card. Several large Australian banks like Westpac and ANZ have branches and ATMs in Samoa. Keep in mind the fees that come with using your credit or debit card overseas. Since Samoa is still a mostly cash-based country, it’s also worth noting that ATMs may be few and far between outside of the capital city.
- Transfer money to Samoa. These transactions can easily be processed using an online money transfer service. When deciding which provider to use, choose one that offers a combination of good exchange rates, inexpensive fees and fast transaction times.
|Bank notes:||$1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100|
|Coins:||1c, 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c|
|Currency Symbol:||WS$ (sometimes SAT, ST or T)|
|Bank notes:||2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 tālā|
|Coins:||10, 20, 50 sene, 1 and 2 tālā|
What affects exchange rates between the US dollar and the Samoan tala?
The exchange rate between the Samoan tala and the US dollar is managed by the Central Bank of Samoa under a currency peg system. As of 2018, the tala is pegged to four currencies that are weighted according to the share they make up of Samoan trade, they are:
- US dollar
- Australian dollar
- New Zealand dollar
- The euro
Since the tala is pegged to a few different currencies, the exchange rates of those other currencies compared to the US dollar also have an effect on the exchange rate between USD and WST. Also, due to New Zealand being such an important trading partner for Samoa, the New Zealand dollar has a large influence on the value of the tala when compared to the US dollar.
Because of the managed exchange rates, the value of the Samoan tala doesn’t respond to supply and demand in a way other currencies do. However, the Samoan economy can still impact the value of the tala and the central bank uses that information when fixing the exchange rate.
Send money from USD to WST
How does the Samoan tala trade against the US dollar historically?
- Until 1984, the value of the Samoan tala was fixed to the New Zealand dollar, meaning the exchange rate between the tala and the US dollar followed the rate between the New Zealand dollar and US dollar.
- Other than a temporary drop in value following the Financial Crisis in 2008-2009, the exchange rate between the tala and dollar has mostly traded around 2.5 tala per dollar.
Because of the peg system in place in Samoa, the exchange rate between the tala and the US dollar has been fairly stable over the past 10 years.
US Dollar to the Samoan Tala for the last 10 days
|Oct 04||Oct 05||Oct 06||Oct 07||Oct 08||Oct 09||Oct 10||Oct 11||Oct 12||Oct 13|
|1 USD =||2.6509 Inverse: 0.3772||2.6381 Inverse: 0.3791||2.6381 Inverse: 0.3791||2.6484 Inverse: 0.3776||2.6517 Inverse: 0.3771||2.6524 Inverse: 0.3770||2.6524 Inverse: 0.3770||2.6560 Inverse: 0.3765||2.6733 Inverse: 0.3741||2.6733 Inverse: 0.3741|
US Dollar to the Samoan Tala for the last 10 months
|Dec 2018||Jan 2019||Feb 2019||Mar 2019||Apr 2019||May 2019||Jun 2019||Jul 2019||Aug 2019||Sep 2019|
|1 USD =||2.6031 Inverse: 0.3842||2.6134 Inverse: 0.3826||2.6077 Inverse: 0.3835||2.6175 Inverse: 0.3820||2.6078 Inverse: 0.3835||2.6325 Inverse: 0.3799||2.6232 Inverse: 0.3812||2.6402 Inverse: 0.3788||2.6625 Inverse: 0.3756||2.6438 Inverse: 0.3782|
US Dollar to the Samoan Tala for the last 10 years
|Oct 2009||Oct 2010||Oct 2011||Oct 2012||Oct 2013||Oct 2014||Oct 2015||Oct 2016||Oct 2017||Oct 2018|
|1 USD =||2.5598 Inverse: 0.3907||2.4847 Inverse: 0.4025||2.3490 Inverse: 0.4257||2.2871 Inverse: 0.4372||2.3235 Inverse: 0.4304||2.3892 Inverse: 0.4185||2.6058 Inverse: 0.3838||2.5399 Inverse: 0.3937||2.5225 Inverse: 0.3964||2.6189 Inverse: 0.3818|
Market rate for common transfer amounts USD to WST
|US Dollars (USD)||Samoan Tala (WST)|
Ask an Expert