We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Oman
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Oman.
Our pick: OFX International Money Transfers
OFX offers flexible transfer options, 24/7 customer support and no maximum limit. Send a minimum of $1,000 per year.
- $0 transfer fees. Send fee-free transfers to over 195 countries worldwide.
- Transfers in 55 currencies. OFX supports major, minor and exotic currencies.
- Flexible options. Choose from forward contracts to scheduled transfers for convenience and flexibility.
Compare money transfer services to Oman
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Oman?
Before you settle on a single money transfer company, take the time to compare your options and know the ways they differ.
- Exchange rate and fees. A seemingly great exchange rate doesn’t necessarily translate into a good deal, especially if you end up paying high fees. Similarly, opting for a service provider that doesn’t charge any fees may not work well if you get an unfavorable exchange rate. Looking at the total money the recipient stands to receive should give you a clear picture of which service provider to choose.
- Ways to send money. Banks that perform fund transfers to Oman can let you do so in person, online or over the phone. Some money transfer companies have stores and kiosks, which you can visit to send money to Oman. A number of businesses let you send money to Oman using the Internet. Some may even allow you to initiate the process over the phone.
- Ways to receive money. The recipient can receive money directly into an Omani bank account. Another option is to collect money by visiting a cash pickup location.
- Using the same bank. Using a bank to send money to Oman can work in your favor if you and your recipient have accounts with the same bank. In this case, you can benefit through a quick turnaround time and reduced fees.
- Turnaround time. Transfers to bank accounts can take multiple business days, depending on the service provider you choose. Money transfer companies tend to process transfers quicker than banks. If you’re sending money to a cash pickup location, the transfer can happen in minutes.
- Customer service. Find out how you can contact a company representative, should the need arise. Ideally, you should be able to get in touch with one over the phone, via chat and via email.
Case Study: Banks vs money transfer companies
Faheem Al Said arrived in the US as a student. After he finished school, he scored a decent job with a respected company. Because he had extra money in the bank, he decided to start sending some money back home to his aging parents.
The bank Faheem had an account with permitted electronic fund transfers to Oman. However, he felt he could get a better deal by comparing his options.
|US bank||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||$1 = $0.2478 OMR||$1 = $0.2668 OMR|
|Amount received for $1,000||$242.35 OMR||$266.80 OMR|
|Transfer time||3 to 5 days||1 day|
|Transfer options||Bank account||Bank account|
|Difference of||$24.45 OMR|
Faheem’s decision to go with the money transfer company came as no surprise. Not only did the money transfer company offer a more competitive exchange rate, it provided a no-fee service as well. This resulted in Faheem’s parents receiving considerably more money than he would have through the bank.
What are the steps to send money to Oman?
- Compare your money transfer options in the table above.
- Click Go to site when you’ve found a provider you want to work with.
- Create an account and start a transfer.
- Supply your recipient’s name and information.
- Pay for your transfer and save your tracking number.
You can use your tracking number to check on your transfer and make sure your recipient gets the money they need within the time cited by the transfer company.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. A strong currency like the US dollar will generally yield much more money when exchanged with a weaker currency like the Omani rial. However, the exact amount you get will depend on the exchange rate given by your transfer company and the market value set by banks.
What are my options for sending money to Oman from the US?
- Banks. Several US banks let you transfer money to Omani bank accounts. Banks tend to charge high fees for their services, and the turnaround time can vary from one bank to the next. Another option is to send a bank-issued check or money order via mail.
- Non-banks. Non-banking businesses such as Western Union and MoneyGram let you send money to Oman, to bank accounts as well as to cash pickup locations. Some money transfer companies limit their operations to the online world, giving you the ability to transfer funds directly into Omani bank accounts.
- PayPal. If you and the recipient have PayPal accounts, you can use its services for sending money to Oman from the US.
Tips for picking up cash in Oman
Picking up cash from a transfer agent in Oman? Follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Fast cash transfers
There are certain situations when you might need to send a transfer as quickly as possible. When you do need to send an emergency transfer, remember that you’ll usually have to pay extra in order to get your funds to your beneficiary ASAP. Make sure to check the exchange rate and fees that apply so you know exactly how much it will cost.Back to top
Read more on this topic
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to CurrencyFair Thinking of using CurrencyFair? Double check to make sure it’s the best option for you before sending money overseas.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. TorFX We look at TorFX and XE to see which will get you a better deal the next time you send money overseas.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert