Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Oman
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Oman.
When you’re looking to send money to someone in Oman, you have more options than you might think to convert your US dollars to Omani rials. From banks to dedicated money transfer companies, you can get the most per dollar by comparing rates and knowing the fees you may be charged.
Exclusive: Minimum transfer of $1,000 for Finder readers (normally $5,000).
Send money to Oman with CurrencyTransfer
CurrencyTransfer lets you shop around for the best exchange rate on its online marketplace.
Exclusive: Minimum transfer of $1,000 for Finder readers (normally $5,000).
Compare money transfer services to Oman
Best ways to send money to Oman
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Oman. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like Ria and XE specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to Oman. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in Oman, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like WorldRemit and MoneyGram allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Oman— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe Omani rial may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to Oman.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to OmanLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Oman. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates using today's rate of 1 USD = 0.385 OMR.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$0||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 0.384 OMR||1 USD = 0.383 OMR||1 USD = 0.366 OMR|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Oman. A digital transfer sends the most, which is OMR$27 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Oman in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Oman online
Sign up and send money to Oman with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in Oman.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Oman. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to Oman
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to Oman. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–OMR relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Omani rial rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–OMR exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Omani rials you're sending to Oman.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Oman.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in Oman or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
How to send money to Oman without a bank accountIf you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up Omani rials without a bank account.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to Oman quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
Oman's exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much Oman's currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-OMR relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to OMR
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in Oman may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to Oman
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to Oman should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in Oman:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to Oman from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in Oman.
Sending your hard-earned money to Oman shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Review: FTX US cryptocurrency exchange
What you need to know about using FTX US, including fees, available cryptocurrencies and what payment methods are available.
SFGI Direct Savings account review
SFGI Direct savings lets you earn 0.56% APY, but you can’t deposit checks.
Personal Capital Cash review
Personal Capital Cash has some attractive features, but you can’t deposit or withdraw cash.
5 alternatives to TradeStation
If you’re searching for a platform that’s similar to TradeStation, here are 5 brokers to consider.
SmartyPig Savings account review
With no fees and a 0.7% APY, Smartypig is among today’s best savings accounts.
6 retirement plan options for the self-employed
You have a handful of self-employed retirement plans to choose from. Learn more.
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
7 debt relief scams to have on your radar
Don’t be fooled by false promises — here are red flags to watch out for and tips to find a legit company.
Capital One savings account interest rates for 2021
See how much interest you could earn with a savings account from Capital One.
FloatMe pay advance app review April 2021
Small cash advances perfect for avoiding steep overdraft fees.
Ask an Expert