We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
Compare exchange rates and fees when sending money to Côte d'Ivoire.
When you need to get money to a loved one overseas, the last thing you want to have to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process.Sending money from the US to the Ivory Coast doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the many options available to you to get the most West African francs for your dollar.
From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to the Ivory Coast is easy. However, do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
THE EASING OF US SANCTIONS
In September 2016, President Obama eased all US economic sanctions against Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast), opening up the ability for US banks and independent services to begin offering money transfers to and from the country.
Despite the lifting of sanctions, until foreign banks establish a stronger presence in Côte d’Ivoire, your options are limited to a handful of banks and providers. Confirm that your bank or service is able to complete your transfer before handing over your money.
Find the cheapest, fastest money transfer to Côte d’Ivoire
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Ivory Coast with our money transfer partners.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to the Ivory Coast
- Exchange rates. Look at the exchange rates offered for turning US dollars into West African francs. Use the published mid-market rate as a baseline to compare against the rates you’re being offered. The company that’s closest is offering you the best rate.
- Fees. Before you complete your transfer, confirm how much you’ll have to pay in transfer fees. What you’ll pay sometimes varies by payment option.
- Transfer methods. Can you place transfers online, or do you need to visit an agent location? Can you send your funds over the phone?
- Turnaround time. How long will you have to wait until your funds are available for your recipient? Processing times can vary depending by company and hours of operation at each cash pickup location.
- Minimum amount. Will you need to exceed a minimum transfer limit with each transaction?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. Is customer support available by phone, email or live chat, and are the hours convenient for your needs?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency.
However, most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Today’s USD-XOF exchange rate
How to send money to Côte d’Ivoire from the US
- WorldRemit. WorldRemit is a fast, secure way to transfer money to bank accounts or for cash pickup at any of 100 agent locations in Côte d’Ivoire.
- Western Union. Western Union operates an extensive branch network throughout Côte d’Ivoire. You can initiate a transfers online or by visiting an agent location worldwide.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram has been offering its services in Côte d’Ivoire since 2013. It offers 10-minute transfers that can be picked up from its locations throughout the country.
How to send money to Côte d’Ivoire
Before you can send an international money transfer to the Ivory Coast, you will need to provide:
- Your name and contact information.
- Proof of ID.
- Your recipient’s name, address and contact information.
- The details of your transaction, such as how much you wish to send and in what currency.
Once you’ve handed over your money, you’ll receive a transaction reference number. Use this reference number to track the progress of your funds.
Emergency cash transfers in Côte d’Ivoire
Depending on your circumstances, you may find that you need to send an urgent transfer. For example, you might have a close relative traveling through the Ivory Coast who has all their luggage, including their cash, stolen. Happily, WorldRemit, MoneyGram and Western Union offer rapid transfers to Côte d’Ivoire. Just remember to double-check the exchange rate and fee that applies to your transaction to make sure you’re completely aware of how much the transfer will cost.
As for anyone who has been a victim of theft in Côte d’Ivoire, their first move should be to report the matter to the local police. They may also be able to receive emergency assistance from their travel insurer or credit card issuer.
Tips for picking up cash in Côte d’Ivoire
- Don’t visit a transfer agent in an area where you don’t feel safe.
- Don’t pick up cash alone — if possible, ask a friend to accompany you.
- Keep your cash concealed and don’t flash it around in public.
- Avoid any high-crime areas.
- Don’t carry cash around for any longer than you need to. Immediately deposit the funds in your bank account.
Ask an Expert