Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Ireland.
When you need to get money to a loved one overseas, the last thing you want to have to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process. Sending money from the United States to Ireland doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the options available to you to get the most euros for your dollar.
From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to Ireland is easy. However, do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
Compare International Money Transfers
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Ireland. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.Back to top
Banks versus money transfer companies
While banks can handle international transfers to destinations all around the world, they usually charge a hefty fee for doing so.
However, if you use a specialist money transfer company to send your money overseas, you can usually find a better deal. These companies focus on moving money internationally and provide superior exchange rates and lower fees compared to major banks. The exact cost and transfer methods available differ between providers, so you should compare a few different providers before placing a transfer request.
Walt has spent three months travelling around the U.S. while his girlfriend stays home in Ireland. When Walt’s girlfriend needs some financial assistance to help her cover the rent, Walt agrees to send her $1,000. He compares two money transfer companies in an effort to find the cheapest way to send his funds overseas.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $0.87 EUR||$1 USD = $O.89 EUR|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup||Bank account deposit|
|Processing time||10 minutes||3 business days|
|Amount received (in EUR)||870 EUR||890 EUR|
As you can see, not only can Walt save more than $50 in fees if he uses the second transfer company, but he can also ensure that his girlfriend receives an extra 20 euros.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Ireland
- Exchange rates. What exchange rates does the company offer and how do they compare with its competitors?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay each time you send a global transfer?
- Transfer methods. Can you place a transfer over the phone, online, by visiting a branch and/or via a mobile app?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments??
- Turnaround time. How long will it take for the funds you send to reach your beneficiary’s pocket or bank account?
- Minimum amount. Is there a minimum transfer limit and is it low enough to suit your transfer requirements?
- Pickup methods. Can cash be picked up from an agent location or will it simply be transferred to your recipient’s bank account?
- Customer service. Are phone, email and online support offered? During what hours?
Options for sending money to Ireland from America
- Bank transfers. Transfers between banks are secure but can be costly.
- Online money transfer providers. These companies, like OFX, offer secure and affordable transfers.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. MoneyGram, Western Union and Ria all offer this option.
- PayPal. PayPal can send international money transfers around the globe.
- Checks. International checks can be obtained from your bank.
Emergency cash transfers in Ireland
If you need to get money to Ireland as quickly as possible, be aware that the fastest transfer method will usually cost you more. With this in mind, make sure you’re fully aware of the total cost of your transaction before you commit to it.Back to topFind a money transfer location near youBack to top
How to send money to Ireland
When you send money to Ireland, you will most likely need to sign up for an account with a money transfer provider. You can do this by supplying:
- Your name
- Your date of birth
- Your phone number and email address
- Valid photo ID
You will also need to provide your beneficiary’s name and contact details as well as the details of your transaction, and make sure to make a note of any transaction tracking number you receive.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Ireland
Ireland is a safe travel destination for American tourists, but you should still take care whenever you pick up cash from a transfer agent. This means staying aware of your personal safety at all times and taking a few steps to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves. Don’t wave your cash around in front of strangers, avoid high-crime areas and don’t carry large sums around for any longer than you have to.