Shop around for the best money transfer service when you need to send money to Spain
World First International Money Transfers
Most Convenient money transfers with excellent customer service. Send to 140+ currencies in 45 countries.
Special $0 fee offer for finder.com readers:
Because World First is a trusted partner of finder.com, you can send your money transfer overseas for free.
- Enjoy competitive exchange rates.
- Get even better exchange rates with forward contracts and limit orders.
- Receive weekly updates on market exchange rates.
Compare international money transfers to Spain
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Spain with our money transfer partners.
Banks vs. money transfer companies
While you’ll be tempted to visit your bank for a wire transfer to Spain, a reputable money transfer service can typically offer better exchange rates, lower fees and faster delivery — often without you having to leave your home.
Banks don’t often publish exchange rates, but you can sometimes find the rate you’ll receive by logging in to your online bank account.Back to top
Having married an American woman and relocated permanently to California, Xavi still maintains strong ties with his family in Barcelona. When his sister gets into financial trouble and urgently needs cash to pay her bills, Xavi offers to send her $1,000. Rather than fork over the hefty fee charged by his bank, Xavi decides to see how much it will cost him to transfer the money through a money transfer providers.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 0.87 EUR||1 USD = 0.83 EUR|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Cash pickup|
|Transfer speed||3 business days||10 minutes|
|Total EUR received||870 EUR||830 EUR|
As you can see, while the second company allows rapid transfers it also charges a much higher transfer fee ($53 greater) and offers a poorer exchange rate. Xavi can send an extra 40 euros if he uses the first provider.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Spain
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate —especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
How to send money to Spain
Whether you send money through your bank, a money transfer provider or any other option, you’ll need to first register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method. Keep a record of any transaction reference number you receive so that you can review the progress of your transfer.
Ways to send money to Spain from the US
- Bank transfers. Many major US banks will allow you to send money to Spain.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria and World First can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from the US to Spain.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or US Postal Service.
How safe is a money transfer?
When processed through a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. When sending money internationally, federal protections are in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
Picking up cash
Whether picking up funds in Madrid or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Emergency cash transfers in Spain
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Spain — for example, if a friend traveling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.Back to top
You have multiple options to choose from when sending money to Spain from the United States. To get the best value for money for your international money transfer, compare the benefits and features of competing services before selecting a provider.
Find a money transfer location near you