Send money overseas quickly and securely with an international wire transfer from Bank of America
If you need to transfer funds quickly to a friend or family member anywhere around the world, Bank of America offers an easy solution. Offering wire transfers to more than 200 countries, the bank provides a secure and convenient money transfer option to its customers. The funds you send typically arrive within two business days and you can lodge your transaction at your nearest Bank of America financial center or through your online banking account.
Who is Bank of America?
With more than 57 million personal and business customers on its books, Bank of America is committed to helping its customers reach their financial goals. Although a proudly US bank, Bank of America has operations in more than 40 countries across Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia Pacific, and the Americas. With operations in all 50 states, Bank of America has 4,800 retail financial centers, roughly 16,000 ATMs and an award-winning online banking platform. A leader in corporate and investment banking, this financial institution also offers an extensive range of personal banking products and solutions to its customers. From checking and saving accounts to credit cards, mortgages, auto loans, and online investing, it offers everything you need to manage your finances on a day-to-day basis and save for a secure financial future.
Compare Bank of America with non-bank money transfer providers
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
How can you send money overseas with Bank of America?
In order to send a Bank of America wire transfer you will need to have an account set up with the bank. If you’re not already a customer, it’s possible to do so quickly and easily online – you’ll need to provide your social security number, contact information, and residential address. Once you have an account you can then complete a wire transfer to send money overseas. You can send a transfer in two ways:
- By logging into Bank of America online banking
- By visiting a Bank of America financial center
If you choose the online method, simply sign into your online banking account and click on the ‘Transfers’ tab. Next, click the ‘Outside the Bank Transfers’ tab and enter the details of the transaction – how much you’re sending, in what currency, and the account you’re sending it to. You can send money to more than 200 countries worldwide and your funds typically take two business days to arrive.
Pros and cons of using Bank of America
- Worldwide transfers. Bank of America allows you to send funds to more than 200 countries.
- Transfer options. You can lodge your transfer online or by visiting a Bank of America banking center.
- Security. Wire transfers are a very safe and secure method of sending money overseas.
- Fees apply. You’ll need to be willing to pay a transfer fee
- Waiting period. You’ll have to wait two business days for your funds to arrive in your recipient’s bank account.
What other products does Bank of America offer?
- Checking accounts. Manage your everyday finances through a range of basic or feature-packed checking accounts from Bank of America.
- Saving accounts. With competitive interest rates, minimal fees, and a selection of flexible features, these accounts are designed to help you build a strong savings balance for the future.
- Credit cards. Bank of America offers an extensive credit card range, from basic low-cost cards right through to high-end rewards cards.
- Mortgages. Whether you’re buying your first home, your next home, or investing, Bank of America offers a suite of loan products to help.
- Auto loans. Own your next set of wheels sooner with a feature-packed auto loan.
- Investment solutions. Customers can also trade in a wide range of investments and financial instruments online with Merrill Edge.
- Business banking solutions. From small business banking through to complex investment strategies for large corporations, Bank of America looks after the needs of a diverse range of corporate clients.
Frequently asked questions
Can I also send domestic wire transfers?
Yes, Bank of America also offers wire transfers to bank accounts throughout the United States, both to accounts with Bank of America and with other financial institutions.
What exactly is a wire transfer?
A wire transfer is a method of electronic payment via wire, such as through SWIFT or the Federal Reserve Wire Network.
Do fees apply to wire transfers from Bank of America?
Yes, you will have to pay a transaction fee when you send an international wire transfer, however these fees vary depending on the type of account you have and where you are sending your money. You’ll be able to review any fees that will apply to your transfer before you complete your transaction.
Do I need to send the funds in US Dollars?
No, Bank of America also allows transfers in a range of foreign currencies. Contact the bank for a list of available currencies.
What is an International Bank Account Number (IBAN)?
An IBAN is the international standard for identifying bank accounts. However, as the United States does not participate in the IBAN program, Bank of America does not have an IBAN.
An international wire transfer from Bank of America provides a secure and convenient method of sending funds overseas. Just make sure to compare all the features of such a transaction with the services of other money transfer providers before you decide on the best option for you to perform an international money transfer.