With this no-fuss provider, it’s easy to end your coverage by phone or mail.
Moving out of state, selling your vehicle or simply trying to cut back on your spending? If you’re looking to cancel your car insurance, GEICO’s hassle-free reputation holds true right until the end.
What are the ways to cancel my GEICO car insurance?
You can change or drop certain aspects of your coverage online. But to fully cancel your auto policy, you need to call in or cancel by mail.
Cancel by phone
- Call 800-841-1587 to speak with one of GEICO’s many licensed agents.
- Say “cancel insurance policy” and then “auto.”
- Provide to the representative your policy number and your proof of new insurance, your plate forfeiture or proof that you’ve sold your car, depending on your reason for canceling.
GEICO will immediately cancel your policy and provide information about any expected refunds or payments required.
Can a family member or friend cancel my insurance for me?
No. Because car insurance is a legal contract that you sign when you apply, only you can cancel your policy. An exception is a person who’s designated as your power of attorney — this person can cancel your policy, but GEICO will require proof of POA.
Cancel by mail
To cancel your car insurance by mail, narrow down the mailing address for your specific state by first visiting GEICO online.
- Click Contact Us in GEICO’s site footer.
- In the Other Contacts box, click By Mail.
- Select Auto Insurance from the drop-down menu, and then select the state in which your policy is written.
- You’ll see three addresses, including one for Correspondence. This is the address you’ll send your cancellation letter to.
What do I include in my cancellation letter?
Briefly explain that you’d like to cancel your GEICO insurance policy, including:
- Your full name and address
- Your GEICO insurance policy number
- Proof that you’ve surrendered or transferred your plates, a bill of sale for your vehicle or proof that you’ve changed insurance companies, depending on your circumstances.
Note that canceling your policy by mail takes time. To avoid paying more than you need to, send your letter at least 30 days prior to the date you wish to end your policy.
GEICO’s cancellation policy
All auto insurance policies are free to cancel, even if you’re in the middle of your term.
GEICO’s respectable cancellation policy allows you to easily cancel coverage without unnecessary costs. They’ll prorate your refund if you cancel between billing cycles, and you can backdate your cancellation if, for instance, you sell your covered vehicle and can prove that you did not use your policy.
Cancel your policy effective the day after the last day you need insurance coverage. GEICO’s car insurance policies begin and end at 12 midnight on your policy’s effective date. So if you cancel your policy effective tomorrow, you won’t be covered tomorrow because your policy will end at midnight tonight.
Do I need to have a new policy in place before canceling my policy with GEICO?
No, GEICO doesn’t require you to prove that you’ve picked up a new policy before canceling coverage with them. You’ll simply need to provide proof that you’ve surrendered or transferred your vehicle’s plates, a bill of sale for your vehicle or proof that you’ve switched insurance companies if you plan on staying on the road.
Keep in mind that driving without auto insurance is illegal in all states except New Hampshire and Virginia. Make sure that you understand your state’s requirements for car insurance. Some require that you carry insurance on a vehicle until you turn in your license plates, and GEICO may notify your state directly of the cancellation date of your insurance.