With this provider, it’s easy to end your coverage by phone or mail.
Selling your vehicle or trying to get a better deal with a different provider? If you’re looking to cancel your car insurance, Geico’s hassle-free reputation holds true right until the end. Here’s what you need to know about canceling your policy.
Geico’s cancellation policy
What info do I need to cancel?
Have this info ready when you call or include it in your cancellation letter.
- Your full name and address
- Your Geico insurance policy number
- The date your policy is to end
Ready to cancel? Compare car insurance quotes
|Company||Average annual rate||Learn more|
|21st Century||$1,701||Read review|
|State Farm||$2,474||Read review|
|The Hartford||$2,529||Read review|
|Liberty Mutual||$2,611||Read review|
|Average||$1,910||Compare all reviews|
How can I cancel my policy?
You can change or drop certain aspects of your coverage online. But to fully cancel your auto policy, you need to call in or cancel by mail.
Canceling by phone
Geico will cancel your policy and provide information about any expected refunds or payments required.
- Call 800-841-1587.
- If you are connected with the Interactive Voice Response, say “cancel insurance policy” and then “auto.”
- Provide your policy number and the date you want your policy to end.
Canceling by mail
Canceling your policy by mail takes time. Send your letter at least 30 days before your new policy’s start date. To cancel your car insurance by mail, narrow down the mailing address for your specific state by first visiting Geico online.
- Click Contact Us in Geico’s site footer.
- In the Other Contacts box, click By Mail.
- Select Auto Insurance from the drop-down menu, and then select the state in which your policy is written.
- You’ll see three addresses, including one for Correspondence. This is the address you’ll send your cancellation letter to.
Can a family member or friend cancel my insurance for me?
No. Because car insurance is a legal contract that you sign when you apply, only you can cancel your policy. An exception is a person who’s designated as your power of attorney — this person can cancel your policy, but Geico will require proof of POA.
What is the best way to cancel Geico insurance?
Calling and speaking to a Geico representative is the fastest way to cancel your policy. Canceling by mail will take longer. If you’re in a hurry, call Geico at 800-841-1587. But if you have time and prefer a paper trail, you can mail in your request to cancel your policy.
Can I cancel at any time?
Yes. It is your right to can cancel your policy at any time. But don’t just stop paying your insurance premium. You must notify Geico that you want to cancel your policy.
Do I need to have a new policy in place before canceling my policy with Geico?
No, Geico doesn’t require you to prove that you’ve picked up a new policy before canceling coverage with them.
Keep in mind that driving without at least the minimum auto insurance is illegal. Make sure that you understand your state’s requirements for car insurance. Some require that you carry insurance on a vehicle until you turn in your license plate, and Geico will likely notify your state directly of the cancellation date of your insurance.
What should I consider before canceling my policy with Geico?
- Does your state require proof of new insurance? It is illegal to drive without car insurance, so make sure there is no lapse in your coverage by having new car insurance in place before canceling your current policy.
- When is the best time to cancel or switch providers? Life changes like getting married, buying a house or having a baby might be good times to shop around for a new policy. Experts also recommend shopping around for a new policy once a year.
- How much time do I need to switch policies? If you’re cancelling by phone, cancellation is usually effective immediately. But if you are mailing in a written request, give yourself enough time for Geico to receive and process your letter.
Should I cancel or adjust my policy?
If you’ve had a bad experience and are no longer happy with your provider, cancelling outright might be the best option for you. Or if you are looking to save money, you might be offered new customer discounts at another provider.
However, there are benefits to staying with your provider and adjusting your policy. Geico offers discounts that might bring your premium down. Log into your account online and select Discounts & Special Offers from the menu to see what you might qualify for. Or call your agent to see what discounts can be applied to your policy.
Alternatives to Geico
If you’re not happy with your current insurance policy, compare your alternatives to find the right policy for you.
Canceling your car insurance with Geico isn’t difficult — simply call in and speak with an agent or send a written request. But if you will continue to drive, first compare all of your car insurance options to find the right provider for you.