Generally, you can only own two Capital One credit cards. Because of this limitation, it’s important you only apply for the Capital One cards you really want.
Capital One limits consumer credit cards to two cards per individual. In some very specific cases you can have more than two Capital One cards but by and large, Capital One won’t accept new applications when it sees you have two cards on your account.
With that said, some readers have written to us to explain how they managed to obtain more than 2 Capital One credit cards. Their explanations are below, but bear in mind this isn’t official guidance from Capital One and you may not have the same luck in obtaining more than 2 cards.
- Old credit card accounts. They already had more than two Capital One cards when this rule was implemented in 2011. If they decided to keep their cards, the rule didn’t affect them.
- Capital One acquired banks. Individuals who held credit cards by banks bought by Capital One, such as HSBC, don’t count toward the two-card rule.
- Cobranded credit cards. Cobranded cards issued by Capital One and a retailer don’t count toward the rule. For example, you can get a store credit card in addition to your two Capital One cards without conflicting the rule.
- Secured credit cards. Capital One’s secured cards don’t count toward the rule. If you started with a secured Capital One credit card and managed to build your credit, you are still eligible for two more Capital One credit card slots.
- Business credit cards. You can freely add Capital One business credit cards to your personal card selection if you need more than two without conflicting the two-card rule.
Is it possible to have more than two Capital One credit cards?
Generally, no. But some Finder readers claim they have applied for more than two Capital One credit cards after Capital One imposed this rule, and they claim they were approved.
Others claim that this rule only applies to Capital One’s subprime cards.
If you don’t have two Capital One credit cards, you can safely apply for one of their cards. But if you already have two, consider applying for a credit card from another provider.
Is it possible to combine Capital One credit cards?
Capital One used to allow combining credit cards they issue. This was a good way to combine two cards’ balances and credit limits into one and to leave room for another credit card application.
But this option is temporarily disabled. Call Capital One and ask to combine credit cards in case they’ve resumed this practice.
If you can’t combine credit cards but you still want a better card, consider product change. Capital One often allows its customers to change from one credit card to another without actually applying for the card.
Capital One doesn’t allow for more than two consumer credit cards per individual. But if you want to roll the dice, you can try applying for a Capital One store card or one of the other methods listed to see if you get lucky.
But if this sounds like a hassle without meeting your financial needs, compare cards from other providers until you find the right card for your wallet.
How can I do a product change?
Capital One often sends online notifications with targeted credit card offers. If you do get one, complete the process online or call Capital One. If you don’t get a notification, call customer support and ask if you’re eligible for a product change.
When can I apply for my second Capital One card?
Apply at least six months after your last Capital One application. If you apply within six months of a previous Capital One application, you could be immediately declined.
Can I get the signup bonus on a second Capital One card if I recently closed an old account?
Capital One doesn’t explicitly state any restrictions on your ability to earn a card’s signup bonus. However, you may want to call Capital One to ask just in case.