Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare cards with flight and travel credits
Get companion flights and travel rewards by using your credit card.
Some credit cards offer companion certificates or travel credits that you can use to pay for flights or incidental airline charges. You can offset the cost of the card’s annual fee by taking advantage of perks offered by travel credit cards.
Our pick for flight discounts
United℠ Explorer Card
Compare cards with travel credits or companion pass offers
How can I get a companion certificate or travel credit?
This depends on the card, and they usually have these perks listed in the terms and conditions. You can also call to find out how your card distributes companion certificates or travel credits. Possible ways include:
- An annual benefit. Many credit cards give you up until 12 months or the end of the calendar year to redeem travel credits. That means these benefits can’t be rolled over to be used the next year.
- An earned perk. In some cases, you have to meet a spending requirement, sometimes up to $30,000 a year, before you can use your flight or travel credit.
- By request. You may have to request a companion certificate before you can use it. This could take time, so make sure you make your request before the certificate expires.
- To use with an eligible travel partner. Read the fine print to see if your travel credit or companion certificate is limited to a specific airline.
Will redeeming a companion certificate cost me?
Yes. You’re responsible for paying taxes and fees — usually up to $99. Check with the airline you’re booking with to get the exact cost for your ticket.
What other features do these cards offer?
- Rewards points or frequent flyer miles. Most credit cards that offer companion certificates or travel credits also earn points per $1 spent on eligible purchases. Redeem these for flights, hotels, car rentals, online shopping and gift cards.
- Airport lounge access. Premium credit cards could also offer you airport lounge access to provide extra comfort during your trip.
- Travel insurance. This perk can help you save on travel insurance for your trip. You usually have to pay the entire trip with the card to qualify for travel insurance through the credit card. Check your credit card’s insurance policy for full details on how to activate it and what it covers.
- Purchase protection. Many of these credit cards offer insurance for items you buy with the card. Coverage can range from protection against accidental damage, theft or loss to extended warranties and price guarantees.
- No foreign transaction fees. Non-travel cards come with fees up to 3% of each transaction made abroad.
- Save on checked bags. This perk can save you up to $30 on your first checked bag on a one-way flight. Some travel cards even extend it to others traveling on your reservation.
- Welcome offer. Some cards offer welcome offers worth $500 or more. Typically you earn one by meeting certain purchase requirements. Once you receive the offer, you can usually redeem it for flights or other travel rewards.
How much do these cards cost?
The rates and fees for these credit cards play a huge part in their value. To work out if one will offer you top dollar for your money there are some key details to consider:
- Annual fee. Ideally, look for a card that has an annual fee worth the same amount as your companion certificate or travel credit so they cancel each other out. If that’s not the case, make sure the card’s other benefits are worth more than what you’re paying for the annual fee.
- Purchase interest rate. Cards that offer companion certificates or travel credit usually have higher standard variable purchase rates than other credit card options. Make sure you pay your balance on time to avoid your card costing more than it’s worth.
- Cash advances. If you use your credit card to get cash out, buy foreign cash, gamble or make any other cash advance transactions, you’ll likely be charged a cash advance fee worth up to 5% of the transaction.
Which cards offer companion certificates equal to their annual fee?
There are two cards out there that offer companion certificates worth the annual fee:
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card. You get a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate every year you renew your card. You’ll only be on the hook for taxes and fees of no more than $75 for a round trip.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card. Earn a Domestic First Class, Delta Comfort+® or Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate every year you renew your card. Taxes and fees of no more than $75 for a round trip are still required.
The value of companion certificates or travel credits vary based on the flights or travel you choose. Other perks could add value, but general travel cards could better suit your travel style.
Start by comparing options based on your spending habits and what you want to get out of the card. Remember to check the eligibility requirements and conditions around the voucher before you apply.
Images: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
3 true credit card horror stories and advice on how to survive
Three real people share their real experiences and credit card horror stories of 2020.
Best holiday loans for bad credit
Compare 6 lenders offering loans that you can qualify for with a credit score under 580.
Tree removal financing with credit cards
If you need to remove a tree from your property, consider paying with plastic.
Best credit cards for young professionals
Earn rewards on travel, dining, public transportation and other categories you spend the most in.
Credit Karma to launch free checking account with rewards
The Credit Karma Money Checking account will have cashback rewards and zero fees for overdrafts, monthly maintenance and ATMs.
Petal launches new card for those with poor credit, refreshes old card
Have a credit score around 550? Struggling to qualify for an unsecured credit card? The new Petal 1 “No Annual Fee” Visa Credit Card might be for you.
Best business loans for fair credit
Lenders won’t reject you outright if you don’t have the best score.
Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard® review
Earn Emirates miles on your purchases and enjoy premium benefits with this airline credit card.
How does Ibotta work?
Is Ibotta worth it? Learn how it uses your personal information.
How would you spend your savings?
In the age of #adulting, Finder asks Americans what their financial priorities are and what they’re most willing to dip into their savings for.
Ask an Expert