Discover Money Market Account review
Flexible access to your money with higher interest rates than a standard savings account.
finder.com’s rating: 3.9 / 5.0
When you’re looking for a safe place to stash your cash, keep in mind that savings accounts don’t always offer great interest rates, which could limit your potential. Money market accounts like Discover’s offer higher annual percentage yields (APYs) than standard savings accounts while giving you more flexible access to your money when you need it.
Up to 0.35%
Minimum deposit to open
Peter Carleton is a writer that covers banking and investing, breaking down what you need to know about where you put your money. When Peter's not thinking about cutting-edge banking apps and robo-advisors, he runs a creative agency and spends his spare time cooking or reading.
Discover’s Money Market account is best for those who have at least $2,500 ready to deposit. You’ll earn 0.3% APY on balances under $100,000 and a slightly higher rate on balances above $100,000.
However, Discover doesn’t have any physical branches, so you can’t do your banking in person.
How do I open a Discover Money Market account?
You can open a Discover Money Market Account online or by phone:
- Click Apply now.
- From Discover’s website, hover over the products tab and click Money Market.
- Click Open an Account.
- Log into your existing account or proceed as a new customer.
- Fill in your personal information and answer all questions as you proceed through the application.
- Fund your account or choose to make a deposit later.
- Read and accept the terms to submit your application.
You can open this account by calling 800-347-7000 to speak with a US banking specialist.
In order to open a Discover Money Market account, you’ll need to meet a few eligibility requirements:
- Valid Social Security number or tax ID number.
- Be 18 or older.
- Make an initial deposit of at least $2,500.
Regardless of how you choose to apply, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Name, date of birth and address.
- Phone number.
- Social Security number or tax ID number.
- Employment information.
Compare Discover Money Market to similar accounts
We’ve gathered a quick comparison of Discover Money Market and similar accounts to help you decide which is the best fit for you. Click “Compare accounts” to compare even more money market savings accounts.
We gathered a quick comparison of Discover Money Market and similar accounts to help you decide which one is best for you. To keep looking, select “Compare accounts” to compare even more money market accounts.
Compare even more savings accounts
What are the benefits of the Discover Money Market Account?
Discover’s money market is designed to help you save money while still allowing you to access your funds when you need them. It boasts standard features like FDIC insurance and a mobile app, plus these unique advantages:
- Competitive interest rates. This account pays a 0.3% APY on balances under $100,000 and a 0.35% APY for balances above $100,000.
- Almost no service fees. You won’t pay fees to open or maintain the account, or for replacement debit cards and official bank checks.
- Transparency. Discover discloses all possible fees on its website so you can avoid any unexpected charges.
- Easy cash access. This account comes with an ATM card that allows you to access your cash when you need it. Plus, you won’t pay ATM fees at over 60,000 Discover ATMs.
What should I look out for?
The Discover Money Market Account is a great way to grow your savings, but there are a few things you should watch out for:
- High opening deposit requirement. To open this account, you’ll need an initial deposit of at least $2,500.
- Expensive wire fees. Outgoing wire transfers are $30 each.
- Six transaction limit. Like other savings accounts, you can only make six transactions per month.
- No branches. Discover operates entirely online, so you won’t be able to visit a branch to speak with a teller.
If you prefer going with a bank with physical branch locations, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when choosing a money market account.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Although savings accounts are designed to limit transactions, Discover offers several ways to access your money:
- Online transfer from another bank account.
- Direct deposit.
- Mobile check deposit.
- Mail a check.
- At ATMs using the free debit card.
- Transfers to other accounts.
- Online bill pay.
- Write a check.
- Request a bank check.
- Cash back from participating retailers.
- Wire transfer.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
- By phone: 800-347-7000
- On Twitter: @Discover
- Live chat: Log in to your account
Frequently asked questions
Can I open this account if I’m not a US citizen?
Yes, although you may need to call customer service to speak with a representative.
What do I do if my card is lost or stolen?
Start by freezing your card by going online, calling customer service or using the mobile app. Then, call customer service to have a new card mailed to you.
How can I fund my account?
You can fund your account with an online transfer from another bank account or mail a check to Discover with your account number on the memo line.
What are the daily withdrawal limits?
The Discover ATM withdrawal limit is $510 per day.
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.