Destiny Mastercard® review
Build credit and get a $300 credit line, but you’ll pay a fee.
- Get this card if you want an unsecured card for building credit.
- Pick something else if you want to build credit without paying an annual fee.
- Apply with a poor credit score or with no credit history.
Purchase APR (fixed)
Recommended credit score
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
This isn’t bad, considering other unsecured credit-building cards can cost up to $300 in various fees each year. Plus with the Destiny Mastercard®, you can prequalify without taking a hit on your credit and see which of the two annual fees you’ll pay before you apply for the card.
One of the cooler benefits of this card is that you won’t pay cash advance fees for your first year of card membership — a rare perk. Each year after that, however, you’ll pay a 5% cash advance fee with a minimum of $5.
How to apply for Destiny Mastercard®
To apply for the Destiny Mastercard®:
- Visit the Destiny Mastercard® website.
- Click Pre-qualify now or Apply if you have received a mail offer.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
- Wait to see whether you prequalify and for which of the two cards.
- You can then apply for the card you prequalify for.
What credit score do I need?
This is a credit-building card, meaning anyone with a poor credit score or with no credit history can apply.
Destiny Mastercard® benefits
- Build credit. The Destiny Mastercard reports to all three major credit bureaus — Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. With timely payments, you can build your credit.
- Prequalify before you apply. With prequalification, you avoid a hard pull on your credit. Plus with prequalification, you’ll see which of the two annual fees you’ll pay for the card before you apply.
- Unsecured card. You start with a $300 unsecured credit limit. This isn’t generous, but it’s what you’ll get with most similar cards.
- No cash advance fee period. Get $0 fees for cash advances during your first year of card membership. After that, a 5% fee will apply with a $5 minimum.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. Depending on your credit score, you’ll either pay $99 annually or $75 for the first year and $99 thereafter.
- Foreign transaction fee. Every transaction made abroad or online with a foreign merchant will cost you 1% of the amount.
Compare secured credit cards
The Destiny Mastercard® can help you build your credit. But you’ll pay an annual fee of either $59 or $75 for the first year and $99 after that. Compared to similar unsecured cards for building credit, the annual fee is reasonable. You can avoid paying an annual fee, however, with the right secured credit card.