Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Review: Boxypay international money transfers
Send money to Nigeria with this money transfer company that doubles as an international calling service — but you’ll have to live in Georgia.
Why should I consider Boxypay?
- Diverse payment options. Pay with your bank account, a debit card or by using a voucher from a merchant location.
- High sending limits. Increase your sending limits by verifying your account.
- Referral program. Refer your friends and family and earn money for future transfers.
What to watch out for
- Limited destinations. Only Nigeria is currently supported, and only residents of Georgia can use Boxypay.
- High fees. Paying with your bank account is expensive, and the exchange rates Boxypay uses could be stronger.
- Not much information available outside of the website. Boxypay hardly has any reviews online and isn’t registered with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Misleading website. Boxypay claims you can send money worldwide, but only offers one sending destination.
How does Boxypay compare to other services?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Boxypay exchange rates and fees
Boxypay charges fees on your transfer and adds a markup to the exchange rate offered. This means you’re paying twice for your transfer: once in a flat fee and a second time through the exchange rate. The fees look like:
- $7.99 fee to pay by bank account
- $0 fee to pay by bank-issued debit card
- 0.25% markup for USD to NGN transfers when we checked on November 3, 2020.
Boxypay occasionally offers discounted introductory exchange rates and fees for new users, so taking advantage of that could save you money.
How long does a Boxypay money transfer take?
Boxypay allows two types of transfers, each with its own speed:
- Cash pickup: Available immediately after sending
- Direct deposit: 1 – 5 business days, depending on receiving bank processing time
Is Boxypay safe to use?
There isn’t much information available on Boxypay, so determining how safe it is to use is difficult. Boxypay has no Trustpilot reviews, only a few hundred total app store reviews between both Google Play and the Apple App store and doesn’t list regulation information openly on its website.
Overall we’d recommend going with a well-known money transfer provider instead of using Boxypay.
Is there a Boxypay app?
Yes, Boxypay has an app available on both the App Store and through Google Play. Through the app, you can do the following:
- Send money 24/7. Skip the lines and send money digitally through your phone whenever you want.
- Make international calls. The Boxypay app can make international calls in addition to sending money.
- Access customer support. Find live chat, telephone numbers and email options to contact customer support through the app.
|Ratings accurate as of November 3, 2020|
|Google Play Store||3.8 out of 5 — based on 167 customer ratings|
|Apple App Store||3.7 out of 5 — based on 44 customer ratings|
Boxypay has a lot of room to grow. It may not be worth using to only send money to one country with mediocre rates. If you’re already using Boxypay to make international calls, then sending money to Nigeria through it may be easy — but if you’re a new customer, we recommend you compare more well-known providers.
More guides on Finder
Digit Checking account review
A bank account that intelligently divvies up your money where you need it for a monthly fee.
Cashero savings account review
A high-yield savings account that supports multiple currencies.
Bank of Missouri Show Me Savers Club review
Bank of Missouri’s Show Me Savers earns 0.1% APY but can’t be opened online.
Emprise Bank High Interest Checking account review
A checking account that earns up to 1.75% APY and up to $25 in ATM reimbursements.
Navy Federal Visa Buxx review
Navy Federal’s Visa Buxx card has no fees, but you must qualify for membership with the credit union.
How to buy Bitcoin (BTC) in the US
Want to buy bitcoin but don’t know where to start? This comprehensive guide provides step-by-step instructions on how and where to buy BTC in the US.
Golden 1 New Generation Checking review
Golden 1 Credit Union’s New Generation Checking account is free for teens and comes with check-writing capabilities.
Regions Savings for Minors review
This account has no fees and a low minimum deposit, but it earns little interest.
First Internet Bank Small Business Checking account review
An interest-earning small business checking account with unlimited transactions. But its deposit system is clunky.
Clearwater Credit Union Primary Savings Account review
Clearwater Credit Union’s primary savings account offers the convenience of online and in-person banking — but lacks a high APY rate.
Ask an Expert