Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Review: Boxypay international money transfers
Send money to Nigeria with this money transfer company that doubles as an international calling service — but you’ll have to live in Georgia.
Why should I consider Boxypay?
- Diverse payment options. Pay with your bank account, a debit card or by using a voucher from a merchant location.
- High sending limits. Increase your sending limits by verifying your account.
- Referral program. Refer your friends and family and earn money for future transfers.
What to watch out for
- Limited destinations. Only Nigeria is currently supported, and only residents of Georgia can use Boxypay.
- High fees. Paying with your bank account is expensive, and the exchange rates Boxypay uses could be stronger.
- Not much information available outside of the website. Boxypay hardly has any reviews online and isn’t registered with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Misleading website. Boxypay claims you can send money worldwide, but only offers one sending destination.
How does Boxypay compare to other services?
Boxypay’s destinations are extremely limited, currently only offering Nigeria as a sending option. Use our comparison table to send elsewhere, or to save more money on your transfer by comparing options against Boxypay.
Boxypay exchange rates and fees
Boxypay charges fees on your transfer and adds a markup to the exchange rate offered. This means you’re paying twice for your transfer: once in a flat fee and a second time through the exchange rate. The fees look like:
- $7.99 fee to pay by bank account
- $0 fee to pay by bank-issued debit card
- 0.25% markup for USD to NGN transfers when we checked on November 3, 2020.
Boxypay occasionally offers discounted introductory exchange rates and fees for new users, so taking advantage of that could save you money.
How long does a Boxypay money transfer take?
Boxypay allows two types of transfers, each with its own speed:
- Cash pickup: Available immediately after sending
- Direct deposit: 1 – 5 business days, depending on receiving bank processing time
Is Boxypay safe to use?
There isn’t much information available on Boxypay, so determining how safe it is to use is difficult. Boxypay has no Trustpilot reviews, only a few hundred total app store reviews between both Google Play and the Apple App store and doesn’t list regulation information openly on its website.
Overall we’d recommend going with a well-known money transfer provider instead of using Boxypay.
Is there a Boxypay app?
Yes, Boxypay has an app available on both the App Store and through Google Play. Through the app, you can do the following:
- Send money 24/7. Skip the lines and send money digitally through your phone whenever you want.
- Make international calls. The Boxypay app can make international calls in addition to sending money.
- Access customer support. Find live chat, telephone numbers and email options to contact customer support through the app.
|Ratings accurate as of November 3, 2020|
|Google Play Store||3.8 out of 5 — based on 167 customer ratings|
|Apple App Store||3.7 out of 5 — based on 44 customer ratings|
Boxypay has a lot of room to grow. It may not be worth using to only send money to one country with mediocre rates. If you’re already using Boxypay to make international calls, then sending money to Nigeria through it may be easy — but if you’re a new customer, we recommend you compare more well-known providers.
More guides on Finder
Best store credit cards of 2021
Here are our picks for the best store cards of the year.
Usend combines money transfers, bill pay and mobile phone reloading.
Best no annual fee credit cards of 2021
Our picks for the best no-annual-fee cards.
WorldSIM Review: International SIM Card Plans
WorldSIM offers prepaid international SIM cards with coverage in over 200 countries and varying add-ons for call and data options.
Compare garage door installation services
Plus, 6 questions to ask to find the right professional for the job.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
How to separate your finances during divorce
Ways to protect your assets and what you need to know about marital debt.
iCliniq review Jan 2021
Speak to doctors by chat, phone or video 24/7 — but they may not be practicing in the US.
Finder Editorial Review Board Member: Marguerita M. Cheng, CFP
An award-winning advocate for ethical financial planning, Cheng has been helping Americans meet their life goals for over 20 years.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers to Hong Kong
Sending a large money transfer to Hong Kong? Learn about laws and required documentation before you transfer.
Ask an Expert