Bear River Mutual car insurance review Sep 2020
Low rates and personal customer service from this mutual company — but only in Utah
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you need cheap car insurance in Utah.
- Pick something else if you don’t live in the state or prefer higher customer experience ratings.
- All kinds of drivers can apply.
New car protection
|New car protection||No|
- Low rates
- Local, independent agents
- Not-for-profit company
- 24/7 roadside assistance option
- Utah-only service
- No online claims
- Lack of website information
- Mixed customer ratings
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
If you live in Utah, you can connect with a Bear River agent to find out the cheapest rate you qualify for. Bear River puts money back in Utah driver pockets as a mutual insurance company with low-cost coverage.
However, take into account the mixed customer ratings and more traditional ways of communication, such as phone claims. The main downside is the company’s lower business rating from the BBB compared to other insurers. Also, its quote and claims process stays low-tech, and you may need to ask your agent basic policy questions you can’t find on the website.
The company’s savings might be worth a look for Utah drivers. Make sure to compare other car insurance companies to best suit your needs.
What car insurance coverage does Bear River Mutual offer?
Bear River Mutual protects you where you need it most on the road:
- Bodily injury liability. Cover other people’s medical bills when you cause an accident, including the other driver and passengers.
- Property damage liability. Take responsibility for the damage on someone else’s vehicle or property in an at-fault accident.
- Collision. Make sure repairs to your own vehicle don’t come out of your pocket, no matter who’s at fault.
- Comprehensive. Protect yourself from noncollision accidents in cases of hail, floods, theft or if you hit an animal.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Prepare for drivers who may get on the road without enough insurance to cover your car.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Bear River offer?
The company offers a few options to ease the process of recovering from an accident:
- Personal injury protection. Take care of yourself and your loved ones with coverage for medical bills, income loss and even funeral expenses and survivor benefits.
- Roadside assistance. Have a game plan when you’re stranded on the road in need of towing, fuel delivery or locksmith services.
- Rental car reimbursement. Get a replacement vehicle while your car is getting accident-related repairs.
- Glass repairs. Get repairs covered for glass that’s broken or cracked after an accident.
What discounts can I get with Bear River Mutual?
The company includes several discounts to its customers:
- Multicar. Insure more than one car with Bear River for extra savings.
- Safe driver. Get rewarded for a clean driving record.
- Safety features. Make sure your car is decked out with safety features, such as antitheft devices, airbags and antilock brakes.
- Bundle and save. Put more than one type of insurance on the same policy, like homeowners or umbrella.
- Homeowner. Find savings just for owning your home.
- Good student. Keep your school grades high to show responsibility and get a discount.
- Customer loyalty. Bear River offers discounts for staying with them for a certain number of years.
- Low rates. As a not-for-profit mutual company, it transfers savings to its customers when it pays out less in claims than it was paid in premiums.
Pros and cons of Bear River car insurance
- Low rates. Customers see Bear River as one of the cheapest insurers in Utah.
- Local, mutual insurance. The company specializes in providing insurance in Utah with a unique, not-for-profit model.
- Independent agents. Expect personal customer service with agents who know your area.
- 24/7 roadside assistance. Despite its local status, you can opt for roadside assistance coverage that’s available anytime.
- Utah-only service. Bear River sticks close to its roots in Utah, making it unavailable to those in other states.
- No online claims. The company keeps things low-tech with phone calls and in-person service.
- Lack of website information. Some basic information isn’t clear on the website, such as discounts or special benefits.
- Mixed customer reviews. Customer reviews rate Bear River highly for its service and low cost. But it’s also received a low BBB rating for business practice.
Alternatives to Bear River
How to apply for Bear River car insurance
You can apply for a new policy through one of Bear River Mutual’s independent agents.
Local agent. Find an agent in three steps:
- Go to the Bear River Mutual website and click Find an agent.
- Enter your ZIP code or city.
- Contact the agent of your choice about car insurance coverage.
What info do I need to apply?
Make your insurance conversation easier by keeping a few pieces of information handy:
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s license
- Driving record information
- Vehicle information — such as make, model and license plate number
- Coverage needs
- Bank account, credit or debit card number for premium payment
How to make a claim with Bear River Mutual
Get your claim resolved by giving your accident details by phone or through your local agent:
- Phone. Bear River Mutual makes a claims representative available to you 24/7. Call 801-267-5000, option 3 or 800-925-5177, option 3.
- Local agent. Let your agent walk you through the process by notifying the office via phone or in person.
Frequently asked questions about Bear River Mutual
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.