Bear River Mutual car insurance review 2021
Low rates and personalized service from a local Utah company — but basic coverage
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you like working with a local company.
- Pick something else if you prefer more coverage options.
- Only drivers in Utah can apply.
New car protection
|New car protection||No|
- Low rates
- Local, independent agents
- Not-for-profit company
- 24/7 roadside assistance option
- Utah-only service
- No online claims
- Lack of website information
- Mixed customer ratings
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
If you live in Utah, you can connect with a Bear River agent to find out the cheapest rate you qualify for with a company offering low-cost coverage options.
However, take into account the mixed customer ratings and more traditional ways of communication, such as phone claims. The main downside is the company’s lower business rating from the BBB compared to other insurers. Also, its quote and claims process stays low-tech, and you may need to ask your agent basic policy questions you can’t find on the website.
The company’s savings might be worth a look for Utah drivers. But if you prefer online claims and policy documents or top-rated customer service is a non-negotiable, compare other car insurance companies that may better suit your needs.
How to get a free quote with Bear River car insurance
You have to apply for a new policy through one of Bear River Mutual’s independent agents — instead of using an online quote tool like with major brands. You can find an agent in three steps.
- Go to the Bear River Mutual website and click Find an agent.
- Enter your ZIP code or city.
- Contact the agent of your choice about car insurance coverage.
Outside of calling an agent yourself, you can also enter your email address on Bear River Mutual’s website, then fill in some basic personal information. You’ll be contacted by a rep to go over your insurance quote.
What info do I need to apply?
Make your insurance conversation easier by keeping a few pieces of information handy.
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s license
- Driving record information
- Vehicle information — such as make, model and license plate number
- Coverage needs
- Bank account, credit or debit card number for premium payment
What discounts can I get with Bear River Mutual?
You’ll find a handful of discounts typical with most insurance companies, although it’s missing some like discounts for the military or for tracking your driving with telematics.
- Multicar. Insure more than one car with Bear River for extra savings.
- Safe driver. Get rewarded for a clean driving record.
- Safety features. Make sure your car is decked out with safety features, such as antitheft devices, airbags and antilock brakes.
- Bundle and save. Put more than one type of insurance on the same policy, like homeowners or umbrella.
- Homeowner. Find savings just for owning your home.
- Good student. Keep your school grades high to show responsibility and get a discount.
- Customer loyalty. Bear River offers discounts for staying with them for a certain number of years.
- Low rates. As a not-for-profit mutual company, it transfers savings to its customers when it pays out less in claims than it was paid in premiums.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Bear River offer?
The company offers a few add-ons and perks to ease your recovery from an accident, keeping up with what’s offered with other brands.
- Personal injury protection. Take care of yourself and your loved ones with coverage for medical bills, income loss and even funeral expenses and survivor benefits.
- Roadside assistance. Have a game plan when you’re stranded on the road in need of towing, fuel delivery or locksmith services.
- Rental car reimbursement. Get a replacement vehicle while your car is getting accident-related repairs.
- No-deductible glass repairs. Get repairs covered for glass with a minor break or crack without paying your deductible.
- Preferred repair shops. Use Bear River’s vetted repair shops through its Bear Care Direct Repair program to make the claims process easier and get your car’s repairs guaranteed.
Bear River Mutual car insurance reviews and complaints
Bear River Mutual isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as of 2021, yet it receives a A- rating with the BBB for its handling of customer complaints. That said, Bear River holds a composite score of 1.13 out of 5 stars, based on eight customer reviews on the BBB. Of the 11 complaints filed in the past three years, several dealt with the company’s home insurance policies while others involved a customer’s difficulty in getting claims paid. Bear River Mutual responded to these complaints on the BBB.
Despite these reviews, Bear River didn’t receive any customer complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners in 2020.
Our star ratings for Bear River, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Bear River above average because of its solid BBB score and strong finances as rated by AM Best. However, the company’s basic coverage options and discounts available brought its overall Finder rating down slightly.
Alternatives to Bear River
Look over your other options, considering their coverage, extra features and perks as well as cost. Then, select Get quotes to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage does Bear River Mutual offer?
Bear River Mutual offers a standard line-up of car insurance coverage that can meet your needs on those Utah roads.
- Bodily injury liability. Cover other people’s medical bills when you cause an accident, including the other driver and passengers.
- Property damage liability. Take responsibility for the damage on someone else’s vehicle or property in an at-fault accident.
- Collision. Make sure repairs to your own vehicle don’t come out of your pocket, no matter who’s at fault.
- Comprehensive. Protect yourself from non-collision accidents in cases of hail, floods, theft or if you hit an animal.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Prepare for drivers who may get on the road without enough insurance to cover your car.
Pros and cons of Bear River car insurance
Bear River’s personalized support is a win for anyone looking for local service, though you can’t file your claims online like with major insurance companies.
- Low rates. Customers see Bear River as one of the cheapest insurance companies in Utah.
- Local, mutual insurance. The company specializes in providing insurance in Utah with a unique, not-for-profit model. With a mutual company, you have the possibility of getting paid dividends if the company doesn’t pay out many claims for the year.
- Independent agents. Expect personal customer service with agents who know Utah inside and out.
- 24/7 roadside assistance. Despite its local status, you can get roadside assistance coverage that’s available any time of the day or night.
- Utah-only service. Bear River sticks close to its roots in Utah, making it unavailable in other states.
- No online claims. The company keeps things low-tech with phone calls and in-person service — which may not appeal to you if you like online, self-serve tools.
- Lack of website information. Some basic information isn’t clear on the website, such as discounts or special benefits.
- Mixed customer reviews. The BBB and NAIC rate Bear River highly for its service and low cost. But customers also complain about billing problems with the company.
How to make a claim with Bear River Mutual
Get your claim resolved by giving your accident details by phone or through your local agent:
- Phone. Bear River Mutual makes a claims representative available to you 24/7. Call 801-267-5000, option 3 or 800-925-5177, option 3.
- Local agent. Let your agent walk you through the process by notifying the office via phone or in person.
Frequently asked questions about Bear River Mutual
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.