American Home Insurance Agency review
Agency in 15 states offers comprehensive home insurance options, but little information online.
- Get a quote if you prefer to have a licensed agent create your ideal policy.
- Pick something else if you don’t live in one of the 15 states served.
- Homeowners who buy a Richmond American home can get competitive quotes.
AZ, CA, CO, DE, FL, IL, MD, NV, NJ, PA, TX, UT, VA, WA, West VA
- Can set your own appointment online
- Personalized service through local agents
- Bundling options with other insurance
- Only in 15 states
- No online quoting
- Little information online
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Andrew Flueckiger is a licensed insurance agent and Certified Insurance Counselor with experience in insurance and finance. A graduate of Indiana University, Andrew contributes a wealth of knowledge and experience to Finder. When Andrew isn’t writing, reading or practicing insurance, he can be found spending time with his family and playing the guitar.
American Home insurance agency could be worth checking out if you live in one of its 15 states, and particularly if you’re buying a home from Richmond American Homes. It’s ability to place your home insurance with a number of companies means you should receive solid coverage at a competitive price. Though its lack of online quoting or information in general means you’ll need to reach out directly to the agency.
Check out how American Home compares with other insurance companies before making your decision.
What home insurance coverage does American Home offer?
As an independent insurance broker, American Home helps you find the best home insurance through its partner insurance companies, with a number of options based on price, coverage and home eligibility.
Included home coverages
- Home replacement cost. Receive up to 100% of your policy limits to rebuild your home as long as you insure it for 100% of its replacement cost.
- Contents replacement cost. Gives you the money to replace your contents, such as furniture, appliances and clothing without depreciation in value.
- Detached structures. Covers any outbuildings or detached garages and is usually automatically set at 10% of your home coverage.
- Living expenses. In case your house has a total loss, this covers your cost to temporarily live somewhere else, like a rental house or hotel.
- Medical payments. Covers someone else’s medical expenses if they get hurt on your property, with limits usually capped at $5,000.
- Personal liability. Covers legal costs and settlements if you’re sued for something related to a lawsuit, like someone falling and getting injured on your property.
Consider these policy add-ons that provide extra coverage for an additional cost.
- Earthquake. Optional earthquake coverage typically comes with a much higher deductible than your standard policy.
- Home business. If your home-based business qualifies, add this endorsement to cover your business contents and liability.
- Identity theft. Coverage that reimburses you for attorney fees, lost wages, transportation and phone expenses in the event your identity is stolen.
- Service line. This endorsement extends coverage for utility pipes to your entire property, and includes ruptured service and utility lines.
- Valuables. Insure your valuable possessions, such as jewelry or antiques, for their full value and without a deductible.
- Water backup. Covers damage to your house and personal contents from water damage if you have a ruptured pipe or your sump pump fails.
What home insurance discounts can I get?
Discounts will vary depending on the insurance company you go with, but most companies offer these standard discounts:
- Multipolicy. You can normally save around 15% by having both your home and your auto insurance with the same company.
- New home discount. The criteria for this discount varies among insurers, though generally you’ll be eligible if your home was built in the last 15 or 20 years, or if it has been completely updated within that time frame.
- Security system discount. Shave extra dollars off your home insurance if you have a central alarm system in your house or live in a gated community.
- Prior insurance discount. If you had a current home or renters insurance before switching, you can receive this discount.
- Claims free discount. Not having any home insurance claims in the last three to five years could get you savings on your premium.
Pros and cons of American Home
- Strong relationship with Richmond American homes. American Home works closely with Richmond American Homes, which means it knows all of the information about each Richmond American home and can provide tailored insurance coverage.
- Multiple insurance company options. American Home can place your home insurance with various insurance companies such as Progressive and Nationwide.
- Online appointment. If you don’t want to call in, you can submit an appointment request online, picking the time slot that’s most convenient for you.
- Bundling options. In addition to home insurance, American Home also offers insurance for your autos, boats, ATVs, condos, homes for rent, life insurance, renter’s insurance and personal umbrella policies.
- Limited states. American Home is licensed in 15 states spread around the country. If you don’t live in one of them, you’ll need to find other insurance options.
- No online quoting. You won’t be able to get a quote yourself. You’ll need to call or email the agency to get a quote.
- Limited information online. American Home’s website provides limited information on what it offers, so you’ll need to contact an agent to get more information.
How to apply for American Home insurance
American Home doesn’t offer online quoting, so you’ll either need to call or submit an online request.
- Call 888-325-8108 to speak with an insurance agent
- On American Home’s website, click Request a comparison in the top header
- Fill out your first and last name, email, phone number, region and best time of day to be contacted
- Choose either Request an insurance comparison or I’m interested in learning about other types of insurance
- Click Send Request
- An American Home insurance agent will be in touch within a few business days.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with American Home?
An American Home agent will likely need the following personal and home information. If you’re buying an American Richmond home, you’ll likely only need to supply your personal information.
- Name, address, phone number
- Marital status
- Prior insurance company
- Prior claims in the last five years
- Mortgage information
- Type and age of house
- Age of roof
- Year of home updates, if applicable
- Pets owned
- Detached structures
- Square footage