Alliant Credit Union CD review
Offers attractive perks like high APYs and 24/7 customer service — but requires a $1,000 deposit.
Alliant Credit Union offers competitive CDs with high APYs, flexible terms and round-the-clock support. But you’ll need a $1,000 opening deposit to get started.
|Minimum deposit to open||$1,000|
|Early withdrawal penalty||90 days interest for terms of 12 to 17 months |
120 days interest for terms of 18 to 23 months
180 days interest for terms of 24 to 60 months
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
Alliant Credit Union competes with many online banks. It offers competitive CD rates, no monthly fees and round-the-clock customer service. It only has two branch locations in Chicago, so it’s a better choice for those who are comfortable with Internet banking.
But you’ll need an Alliant membership and a $1,000 minimum deposit to qualify.
Benefits of Alliant Credit Union CDsAlliant Credit Union CDs are NCUA-insured up to $250,000 and come with these benefits:
- Flexible terms. Alliant offers CDs with one to five-year terms.
- Attractive rates. Earn 0.55% to 0.65% APY depending on the term length.
- 24/7 phone support. Customer service is available daily by phone.
- No fees. You won’t pay a fee to maintain your account, which means you keep more money in your pocket.
What to watch out forAlliant Credit Union CDs offer many attractive perks, but watch out for these potential drawbacks:
- High minimum deposits. You’ll need at least $1,000 to open an account.
- No short-term options. The shortest CD term Alliant offers is 12 months.
- Limited branches. Alliant only has two branch locations in Chicago, so it’s not ideal if you want to bank in person.
- Must be a member. You must have an active Alliant membership before you can open a CD.
If you want a CD with a minimum lower deposit, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when choosing a CD.
Compare with other CDs
How do I open a CD?
There are four ways to open an Alliant Credit Union CD:
- Open an account online
- Call 800-328-1935
- Visit an Alliant branch
- Print the certificate application and mail it to:
- Alliant Credit Union
Attn: Account Services
PO Box 66945
Chicago, IL 60666-0945
Follow these steps to open your account online:
- Go to the official Alliant Credit Union website, hover over the Bank menu and click Certificates.
- Click Open Now.
- Verify your Alliant Credit Union membership or become a member of Foster Care to Success (FC2S) by making a $5 donation. Click Continue.
- Read through the consent form, check I Agree and click Continue.
- Enter your personal information, sign the account agreement and verify your identity.
You’ll need to meet these eligibility requirements to open an Alliant Credit Union CD:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident
- Valid Social Security number or Taxpayer ID
- US residential address
- Alliant Savings or Alliant Trust account holder with a $5 minimum balance
- $1,000 opening deposit
Have the following information nearby when you open an account:
- Name, address and date of birth
- Valid US government-issued ID number
- Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Employment status, occupation and employer name
After you fill out the application, you’ll fund your new CD using one of these methods:
- Transfer from another bank account
- Cash at a branch
How do I cash in a CD?
Once your CD matures, you have three options:
- Renew it for another term
- Roll it over to a different term
- Transfer it to another bank account
If you renew your CD, you have a 10-day grace period after maturity where you can add or withdraw money without penalty.
If you do nothing, your CD will either automatically renew or transfer to another account depending on which option you selected during the application process.
What other savings products does Alliant Credit Union offer?
Alliant Credit Union has three other savings account options:
- High-Rate Savings account. Offers no monthly fee and 0.65% APY, but you must keep a $100 minimum balance to earn interest.
- Supplemental Savings account. If you have multiple savings goals, you can open up to 19 additional accounts featuring all the same perks as the High-Rate Savings account.
- Kids Savings account. Kids 12 and younger can open up this free account with a parent and earn 0.65% APY.