Support the Wounded Warrior Project while enjoying rewards and an intro APR on balance transfers.
- Get this card if you are a supporter of the Wounded Warrior Project or are going into active duty.
- Pick something else if you want powerful rewards or a market-leading intro APR.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
|Product Name||Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||12.9% to 27.9% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR|
|Balance Transfer APR||12.9% to 27.9% variable|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR||0% for the first 12 months (then 12.9% to 27.9% variable)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3%|
|Cash Advance Rate||12.9% to 27.9% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||3% of the cash advance amount|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$35|
|Returned Payment Fee||$35|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||Get 2,500 bonus points after your first purchase|
|Rewards||Earn 1x points on all purchases|
|Base Rewards||1x points|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
The Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card comes with a $0 annual fee, and it offers a decent intro APR on balance transfers.
However, you’ll receive just 1x points on all purchases, which is equivalent to 1% cash back. Meanwhile, there are many cards that offer 1.5% cash back and more. You’ll also find better signup bonuses elsewhere — it’s not uncommon to find cards offering $150 in bonus cash.
Why should you get the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card?
There are two key reasons you might give this card a serious look:
- You’re a passionate supporter of the Wounded Warrior Project. The Wounded Warrior Project logo will be emblazoned on your card to help you show your support for the organization.
- You’re being deployed or have received a permanent change of station (PCS) order. You’ll receive a special interest rate of 4% fixed APR for 12 months on all balances. After that, your APR for all balances will be 12.9% to 27.9% variable.
The Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card isn’t the most powerful product. But it’s carved out a unique position in the market, and it could be the perfect card for you depending on your interests and deployment status.
Annual fee: $0.
Almost all USAA cards have $0 annual fees, including the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card.
Signup bonus: 2,500 bonus points.
To earn the signup bonus, simply make your first purchase. It’s worth $25 when you redeem it for cash back.
A $25 signup bonus is low compared to what you’ll earn from the competition. Many no-annual-fee cards offer signup bonuses worth $150. Still, the USAA signup bonus is very easy to obtain.
Rewards: Flat rewards on all purchases.
Earn 1x points on every purchase, with no cap. Redeem points for rewards like 1% cash back, travel, merchandise, charitable donations and gift cards.
You may find this rewards rate to be below average. For no-annual-fee cards, a 1.5% rewards rate is common.
Intro APR: 0% for 12 months following your account opening on balance transfers and convenience checks that post to your account within the first three months of card membership.
After that, your balance transfer APR will be 12.9% to 27.9% variable. This is a solid balance transfer promotion, though many cards offer a 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 15 or more months.
You’ll also like …
Deployment and PCS rate.
Receive a special interest rate of Earn 1x points on all purchases when you’re on deployment or PCS. After that, receive an ongoing APR on all balances of 12.9% to 27.9% variable.
This rate, in addition to the SCRA rate, is one of the reasons USAA is a popular choice for military personnel. Federal law requires providers to reduce credit card interest only to 6% APR for active-duty service members.
If you have a balance when you enter active military duty, you’ll receive a 4% fixed promo APR on it until one year after you complete active duty. After that, receive an ongoing APR on all balances of 12.9% to 27.9% variable.
No foreign transaction fees.
Use your card abroad and on foreign websites, and avoid the 3% fee that most providers charge. This makes the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card a great choice to bring on vacation.
What to watch out for
Potentially high APR.
If you have a weaker credit history, you may receive an APR on all balances as high as 27.9% variable. This is a very high APR, considering the average is around 16%.
Balance transfer fees.
Each balance transfer will cost 3% of the transaction amount, with a maximum fee of $200. This means a transfer of $4,000 would cost $120.
Consider other cards if …
You want a better signup bonus.
There are many no-annual-fee cards with much better signup bonuses. Try the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card, Quicksilver® from Capital One® or HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card to take advantage of a higher bonus.
You want a 0% intro APR period on both purchases and balance transfers.
You still want a 0% intro APR period, but you want stronger rewards.
Compare balance transfer credit cards
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- A member of USAA. You may join if you’re affiliated with the military or have a family member who is.
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for this card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850.
Here are a few other factors that might affect your odds of approval:
- Hard pulls on your credit report. If you have several hard inquiries — or hard pulls — on your report, it could imply you’re having trouble managing your debt. USAA might think you’re desperate for credit and may be less likely to take you on as a customer.
- Factors that tie into your credit score. Your credit utilization is a major factor USAA considers. The bank prefers a customer with low balances relative to their credit limit. Having many new card accounts may be a red flag too, as it could indicate you’re desperate for credit. It may also give the impression that you’re a flighty customer who’s just hunting for signup bonuses.
What do customers say about the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card?
USAA is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau, but it earns an A+ rating from the agency. As of this writing, 92% of its reviews are negative, and it has over 300 customer complaints. USAA customers report unexpected changes to reward balances and a complicated customer service process.
The company earns a Trustpilot score of 3.6 out of 10. Many negative reviews cite unsympathetic customer service and difficulty getting fraud claims resolved. Positive reviews say customer service is responsive and the bank’s products have strong features.
How to apply for the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card
- Go to the USAA website and click Apply now. Then click USAA Rewards Visa.
- Select whether you’re a USAA member. If you are, you’ll be asked to enter your login credentials. If you’re not, you can sign up to become one as long as you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, USAA will send you a decision within five to seven days. If there are issues with your application, however, it may take a few business days up to a few weeks to hear back.
Once approved, expect your card to arrive in the mail within seven to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make payments on time. Register for an account on the USAA website to pay your balance online. You can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. For each late payment, you’ll incur a fee of up to $35. Balance transfers and cash advances also carry fees.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions about your account, call the number on the back of your card. Alternatively, call 1-800-531-8722 for the Banking Services line.
Other cards may bring more firepower to the table, but the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card offers the chance to support a military organization. And if you’re an active-duty military member, you may benefit from USAA’s special interest rates.
Frequently asked questions