This card is no longer offered.
We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
The USAA Classic American Express® Card is for people affiliated with the military, with average credit. It’s issued by USAA Bank — a company that has been helping military members and their families since 1922.
If you have average credit, the USAA Classic American Express® Card may be a good fit for you. Improve your credit score with consistent, on-time payments. If you choose this card, you can expect a 18.40% - 24.40% variable and a $35 annual fee. The card includes inserted chip card technology to increase security. You can view your account online or on your phone.
Get Valuable rewards with USAA Credit Cards
- Benefits. Security, travel and retail benefits are included with the card, with access to concierge services for traveling.
- Collision damage waiver coverage. Pays for physical damage and theft to most rental vehicles.
- No penalty charged on APR. You won’t be penalized for making late or missed payments.
- Improve credit. Improve your credit score by making on-time and consistent payments. USAA Bank may automatically upgrade you to a premium credit card.
You’ll also like…
- Special 4% SCRA rate. You’ll get 4% APR on your existing balance when you enter active duty.
- Deployment/PCS Rate. Get 4% APR on all balances for up to 12 months during deployment or PCS. After 12 months, the regular APR, currently between 10.65% to 26.65% variable, will apply. This rate will vary with the market, based on the prime rate.
- Military Campaign Benefit. You’ll get a rebate on all finance charges accrued while you served in a qualified military campaign.
Compare other American Express credit cards
What do I need to know before I apply?
In order to apply for the USAA Classic American Express Card, you must be a member of the military, a veteran who was honorably discharged or an eligible family member of military personnel. You also must be:
- A US citizen or permanent resident
- At least 18 years old
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Required documents & information
- Full name and address
- Marital status
- Contact information
- Proof of employment and income
If you’re affiliated with the military, and looking for a credit card that can improve your credit, the USAA Classic American Express® Card could be a helpful solution. Before choosing this card, be sure to compare it with other credit card options.