Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
USAA car rental insurance: How does it work?
You'll find coverage on all of these military-affiliated cards.
If you’re affiliated with the military and looking for car rental coverage with your credit card, USAA is a strong choice. All of its products offer this benefit.
Does USAA have car rental insurance?
USAA offers car rental coverage with all of its credit cards in the form of collision damage waivers. You’re covered for 31 days from the start of your rental period, up to the actual cash value of most rental vehicles.
Where is USAA car rental insurance available?
You’re covered by USAA car rental insurance in the US and most foreign countries. Coverage doesn’t apply where it’s banned by law, when it conflicts with your rental agreement or when certain merchants don’t allow it.
USAA car rental insurance: What it covers
Your USAA collision damage waiver covers you for:
- Physical damage to your rental vehicle
- Theft of your rental vehicle
- Eligible towing charges
- Eligible loss-of-use charges
- Administrative fees
A rental car company may charge for loss of use, which is the amount the company forfeits for having the car in the shop instead of renting it out. Some card providers don’t cover loss-of-use charges, so this feature is a nice touch with USAA cards.
What does USAA car rental insurance not cover?
Certain vehicles aren’t covered, such as high-value vehicles, cargo vans, motorcycles and limousines.
The “high-value vehicles” exclusion list includes Tesla, Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, though certain models are exempt.
Your collision damage waiver also doesn’t apply in circumstances like violations of the rental agreement, theft of your personal items, leases and more.
Is USAA car rental insurance primary or secondary?
Within the country you live, USAA car rental coverage is secondary. This means you must make a claim through your insurance company before claiming through your USAA policy.
In all other countries, USAA car rental coverage is primary. This means you claim directly with the USAA benefit administrator for a covered incident.
How does your insurance coverage affect your USAA coverage?
The scope of USAA coverage changes depending on whether you have personal auto insurance.
- If you have personal insurance: Your USAA collision damage waiver covers your deductible. It also covers unreimbursed charges for administrative, loss-of-use and reasonable towing costs.
- If you don’t have personal insurance: Your USAA collision damage waiver covers you for theft or damage to your rental vehicle, as well as administrative, loss-of-use and reasonable towing costs.
How to use USAA car rental insurance
Here’s how to activate your USAA car rental coverage:
- Before reserving a rental vehicle, read your credit card’s guide to benefits for your collision damage waiver policy.
- Pay for your entire rental with your USAA credit card or rewards. Decline the rental car company’s coverage.
- Before singing your rental agreement, check it for existing damage.
If the representative at the counter says you must purchase the rental company’s coverage, call your USAA benefit administrator at 844-288-2141. If you’re outside the US, call collect at 804-673-1164.
How to make a claim for USAA car rental insurance
- Immediately after you learn of theft or damage to your rental vehicle, call your USAA benefit administrator at 844-288-2141. If you’re outside the US, call collect at 804-673-1164. You must call within 45 days of the incident.
- Request required information from the rental company.
- Submit required documents to the USAA benefit administrator.
Required information for your USAA collision damage waiver claim
In the event of a theft or accident, request the following from the rental car company:
- A copy of the accident report form
- A copy of the rental agreements — initial and final
- A copy of the repair estimate and itemized repair bill
- If possible, two photos of the damaged vehicle
- If police were involved, a police report
- A copy of the demand letter, which should include the costs you’re liable for and what you’ve paid toward the claim
Documents to submit to your USAA benefit administrator
- A collision damage waiver claim form, completed and signed. This must be postmarked within 90 days of the covered incident.
- A credit card statement showing you charged the rental to your credit card.
- A statement from your insurance provider with the amount you’re liable for and how much you’ve paid. If you don’t have insurance, include a statement saying so.
- A copy of the declarations page of your insurance policy that lists your deductible.
- Other information requested by your benefit administrator.
Compare USAA credit cards with car rental insurance
USAA offers car rental insurance as a standard benefit, but your specific benefit may vary based on your card. Check your guide to benefits to make sure.
Who gets to use USAA car rental insurance?
You’re eligible for USAA car rental coverage if:
- You have a US-issued USAA credit card with your name on it.
- You pay for your entire rental with your USAA credit card or rewards.
- You’re the primary renter of the vehicle, or you’re a driver who’s been added to the rental agreement.
According to the provider, all USAA credit cards offer car rental coverage. Check the guide to benefits that comes with your card to confirm your account has the feature.
If you can’t find a USAA card that meets your needs, compare other cards with car rental insurance.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Electric vehicles in 2021: How new models, insurance rates and tax breaks affect their cost to own
See average EV insurance rates for 2021 based on Finder’s car model research, plus new models on the horizon.
How does a VIN affect car insurance?
Learn how insurance companies use identifying info from your VIN to set rates.
How to separate your finances during divorce
Ways to protect your assets and what you need to know about marital debt.
Compare full coverage vs. liability car insurance
Which type of car insurance policy fits your car and driving needs?
Car insurance for drivers 25 to 40 years old
Take advantage of the lowest minimum coverage rates by earning all the discounts you can.
Heacock Classic car insurance review January 2021
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
Driving without car insurance
Since driving uninsured comes with steep penalties, look at your coverage options or consider alternatives.
Say car insurance review Jan 2021
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
Does home or renters insurance cover eviction?
Learn what your policy covers and how eviction affects your insurance.
Ask an Expert