United Gateway℠ Card review
Earn miles on flights and day-to-day travel and redeem on your next trip.
- Get this card if you want solid rewards for no annual fee.
- Pick something else if you want luxury travel perks.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 3x
16.49% to 23.49%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||20,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||2x miles on United Airlines purchases, at gas stations and on local transit and commuting and 1x on all other purchases. Plus, 3x miles on grocery store purchases up to $1,500 per month through 9/30/2021|
|Purchase APR||16.49% to 23.49% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||16.49% to 23.49% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
The United Gateway℠ Card is the newest United card from Chase, replacing the old discontinued United TravelBank Card. Like the TravelBank, this card is rather simple. It earns 2x miles on United purchases, gas, and travel, earns 25% back on inflight United purchases, and offers trip cancellation and interruption insurance for no annual fee.
The biggest change moving from the TravelBank to the Gateway is in the rewards. The new Gateway earns 2x miles on not just United purchases, but gas and local travel as well, while earning 1x miles on everything else. The old version of the card earned 2% cash back on United purchases, but 1.5% back on everything else.
The card remains a relatively no-frills affair, useful for occasional United travelers but likely lacking for those traveling on a more frequent basis. The bigger focus on travel-related earning is a useful and interesting trait however, which could help this card shine compared to the old version.
How to apply for the United Gateway℠ Card
Like other Chase cards, applying for the United Gateway℠ Card is simple. Learn more about how to apply for United Gateway℠ Card.
United Gateway℠ Card benefits
- Rewards. Earn 2x miles on United purchases, gas stations, and local transit and commuting. Earn 1x miles on everything else.
- Signup bonus. Earn 20,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on purchases within your first 3 months of account opening. Also earn 3x miles on grocery purchases on up to $1,500 per month through September 30, 2021, reverting to 1x miles.
- Earn 25% back on in-flight purchases. When you use your card to buy food, beverages or Wi-Fi on eligible United and United-operated flights, you’ll receive 25% of each purchase amount back in the form of statement credit.
- No Annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this card.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver. Chase will provider coverage in the event of theft and collision damage when you decline the rental company’s insurance and charge the entire cost of the rental to your card.
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance. If your trip gets canceled or interrupted early for an eligible reason, you’ll be reimbursed up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip.
- Purchase protection. You’ll get 120 days of coverage for theft and damage up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Visa concierge service. The United Gateway℠ Card comes with 24/7 Visa concierge service. You can use this service to help you book travel, perform research, reserve a dining spot, and more.
No foreign transaction fees. You won’t incur fees when you use this card with merchants abroad or on foreign websites.
What to watch out for
- Limited United features. Other United cards offer additional perks like free checked baggage and priority boarding.
- No intro APR. If you’re looking for an intro APR on purchases or balance transfers, you’ll need to look at your other travel card options.
Compare travel credit cards
Want a side-by-side look at the United Gateway℠ Card and other travel cards? Choose your credit score below and click “Show Cards” to start comparing.
You can find high-value United perks with the other United cards that Chase offers. But this one fits the bill for a simple, no-frills credit card that earns United rewards.
For travel perks that can be redeemed with a variety of carriers, consider a general travel credit card.