Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to use the United MileagePlus shopping portal
Shop at select stores to earn miles on your purchases.
How does the United MileagePlus shopping portal work?
Suppose you want to buy a new computer. Simply log in to your MileagePlus account to find the shopping program and search for an eligible store. Once you find a store, follow the link from the shopping program and make the purchase. You can also earn miles for in-store purchases but you will have to link your card with the store.
The number of miles you earn on eligible purchases depends on the store. It can vary from 1x miles to 30x miles, but this may not apply to all purchases. Some stores let you earn a batch of miles for eligible purchases. Just be sure you read the store’s fine print and restrictions.
How to use United Airlines shopping program
Before you sign up for the program, you must have a MileagePlus account. This is the United Airlines frequent flyer program and it’s free to sign up. Once you have set up your MileagePlus account:
- Go to the United Airlines shopping website.
- Log in with your MileagePlus number and password.
- Start shopping.
United Airlines browser button.
You can install a button extension in your browser to see which shops are eligible for earning miles. Alternatively, you can click the button and earn miles on purchases made at eligible online shops without going to the shopping program first.
How credit cards can help you earn additional miles with United Airlines shopping program
You can use any credit card to make purchases and earn miles through the United Airlines shopping program. However, you can earn an additional mile per dollar by using a United Airlines cobranded credit card.
Using a rewards credit card that lets you transfer points to United miles can also help you earn additional miles. For example, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card lets you earn points on travel and dining purchases, and you can transfer your points to United Airlines miles in 1:1 ratio.
Compare credit cards for the United Airlines shopping program
Chase Ultimate Rewards cards that let you earn additional points for United
With some Chase credit cards, you can earn extra points on select categories at the United shopping portal. You can then transfer your points in a 1:1 ratio to United miles and get a higher reward value for your purchases.
Here are the three Chase Ultimate Rewards credit cards that can make your United shopping portal purchases even more rewarding:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card This is the mid-tier Chase travel credit card, that lets you earn 2x points on travel and dining purchases. There’s also a signup bonus worth 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in your first 3 months.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®. With this premium travel credit card, you earn 3x points on travel and dining purchases and you get to earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 within your first 3 months.
- Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card. Business owners who spend heavy on office supplies should consider this card. You earn 5x points at office supply stores, Internet, cable and phone services up to the first $25,000 in combined purchases each year. There’s also a 2x points on up to the first $25,000 in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants. After reaching the cap and on all other purchases, earn 1x points.
Credit cards that earn additional rewards points in the United shopping portal
In the table below, you’ll find some of the most rewarding options to use with the United shopping program. Note that even though the Freedom and some Ink Business cards are advertised as earning cash back, they earn Chase Ultimate Rewards points. These cards are best used in addition to a Sapphire card. That way you can transfer your points to your Sapphire account and then transfer them again to your United MileagePlus account in 1:1 ratio.
|United Gateway℠ Card||$0|
|United℠ Explorer Card||$0 for the first year, $95 after that|
|United Club℠ Infinite Card||$525|
|United℠ Business Card||$99 after that|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card||$95|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®||$550|
|Chase Freedom Unlimited®||$0|
|Chase Freedom Flex℠||$0|
|Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card||$95|
|Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card||$0|
|Ink Business Unlimited℠ Credit Card||$0|
What retailers are available through the United Airlines shopping program?
The program covers some of the most popular brands and shops in a variety of categories. For example, you can earn miles on purchases, such as:
|Clothing, shoes and accessories||ASOS, Banana Republic, Converse, Gucci, H&M, Hugo Boss, JCPenney, Nautica, Roxy and Wrangler|
|Babies, kids and toys||American Girl, Big Fish Games, buybuy Baby, Crate & Kids, GameStop, Green Man Gaming, LEGO and Magic Cabin|
|Beauty and health||23andMe, QVC, Algenist Beauty, Beachbody.com, BeautyByDesign, Biotherm, eVitamins.com, MAC Cosmetics and Sephora|
|Computers and electronics||Acer, Apple, Avast, GoPro, Newegg, Norton, Samsung Electronics America|
|Furniture and decor||1-800Lighting.com, 1STOPLighting, Bed Bath & Beyond, Build.com, Design Within Reach, Home Depot, Lehman’s Hardware and Touch of Modern|
|Home, bath and kitchen||Aquasana Water Filters, BURST Oral Care, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, DreamCloud Luxury Hybrid Mattresses, Houzz, Stonewall Kitchen|
|Auto and tools||Abt Electronics, Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Compact Appliance and Gardener’s Supply Company|
|Magazines and newspapers||Barron’s, Barnes & Noble, The Economist, The New Yorker, and The Wall Street Journal|
|Food and dining||Bright Cellars, Cookies by Design, Green Chef, Groupon, illy Caffé, Restaurant.com and Uber Eats|
|Flowers and gifts||Flowers by Florists, Gifts.com, Jewelry.com, Precious Moments, ProFlowers and Sendflowers.com|
|Sports and outdoors||Adidas, Beachbody.com, Competitive Cyclist, DC Shoes, Golf Galaxy, Nike, Timberland, Under Armour|
|Department stores and outlets||BJ’s Wholesale Club, Hayneedle, Marks & Spencer, Sam’s Club, Stein Mart, Target Macy’s and The Outnet|
|Office and school supplies||Coursera, FedEx Office, OfficeDesigns.com, Rosetta Stone Language Software and Staples Copy & Print|
|Wireless and services||ASprint, AT&T TV & Internet, Dun & Bradstreet Credibility Corp, HostGator, myFICO and PureTalk USA|
|Travel and luggage||Airport Parking Reservations, Best Of Vegas, Booking.com, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, eBags.com, Marriott, Medjet, ShowTickets.com, TripAdvisor and Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts|
From time to time, some retailers may offer special deals. This may be in the form of additional miles earned, discounts on select items or free shipping. Keep in mind, these offers come and go.
For example, at the moment of writing, you can get:
- Free shipping with Levi’s. With a purchase of $100 or more, you get free shipping.
- Free shipping with GNC. GNC has lowered the ceiling and you can get free shipping with orders of $49 or more.
- Dell discounts. Get up to 45% off on select Dell PCs.
- Lenovo discounts. Get 45% off on almost all X and T series ThinkPad laptops.
- Under Armour discounts. Get up to 40% off on outlet styles.
- Nike discounts. Get up to 40% off on select styles, plus get free shipping and returns.
How to maximize rewards
With the right credit cards and a due diligence, you can maximize the rewards you earn via the United shopping portal. Here’s how:
- Use a rewards credit card. You can use any credit card at the United shopping portal, but it’s best to use the one that earns additional rewards on your purchases.
- Combine multiple rewards cards. For example, use a card with accelerated points on dining for dining purchases via the program. Use the card with accelerated points at office supply stores or department stores when making purchases at these stores through the United shopping program. You get the idea.
- Earn the card’s signup bonus. If your card lets you earn a signup bonus, use your card at the shopping program to earn it.
- Transfer points. Chase Sapphire cardmembers can transfer points to the United MileagePlus program for an additional redemption value.
Read more about loyalty shopping programs
If you’re a frequent United Airlines flyer, using the airline’s shopping program can help you earn additional miles. There are plenty of shopping options, from electronics and computers to apparel and even furniture.
However, if you think another option may fit your needs better, check out other reward credit cards to compare.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I use United Airlines miles to make purchases within the program?
No. You can only use US dollars. However, you can use miles to redeem for merchandise at the MileagePlus awards website.
- Can I use PayPal to make the purchase and still earn miles?
As long as you visit the store through the shopping program link and you make the purchase, yes you can use PayPal and still earn miles.
- Can I earn miles for in-store purchases?
Yes, most eligible stores allow you to earn miles for purchases made in-store. But first, you will have to link your credit or debit card with the store.
If you’re using a debit card, make sure your transaction is processed as a signature debit transaction, not a PIN debit transaction. Also, if you own a Diners Club or a Discover card you may not be able to earn miles in-store.
- Do I need to have a United Airlines credit card to earn miles through the program?
No. Any credit or debit card will work. However, using a United Airlines credit card will help you earn an additional one mile per dollar.
- Can I earn miles if I go directly to the shop’s website?
No. You must first visit the shopping program website and use the link to the store from there. Also, make sure you have browser cookies enabled so that the program can track your shopping and reward you with your miles.
More guides on Finder
Spectrum Credit Union MySavings Youth review
A youth savings account with a whopping 7% APY on account balances up to $1,000.
Northpointe Bank Kid’s Savings review
Northpointe Bank’s Kids Savings account earns an unmatched interest rate on balances above $1,000.
M&T Starter Savings account review
A kids savings account with an interest rate that compounds daily but has long hold times for customer service.
Garden Savings FCU Kids Club Savings account review
A kids’ savings account with a generous interest rate that transitions to a lackluster regular savings account when your child turns 18.
Cashero savings account review
A high-yield savings account that supports multiple currencies.
Purple Mastercard Debit Card review
A checking account-debit card combo marketed for people with disabilities.
Bank of Missouri Show Me Savers Club review
Bank of Missouri’s Show Me Savers earns 0.1% APY but can’t be opened online.
Emprise Bank High Interest Checking account review
A checking account that earns up to 1.75% APY and up to $25 in ATM reimbursements.
Navy Federal Visa Buxx review
Navy Federal’s Visa Buxx card has no fees, but you must qualify for membership with the credit union.
Credit One Bank® Platinum Rewards Visa with No Annual Fee review
A good rewards option for those with average credit.
Ask an Expert