Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
United MileagePlus® Club card vs Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
It comes down to premium benefits vs flexible earning.
Updated . What changed?
These two cards differ in a few key ways. The United MileagePlus® Club card is a premium airline card with a $450 annual fee and a host of premium perks, while the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a mid-tier travel card with a $95 annual fee. But this doesn’t mean the Chase card can’t compete — you still earn the same type of points as the United MileagePlus® Club card and you can easily redeem or transfer points for United flights. So which is the better pick?
Which card should you choose?
United MileagePlus® Club card
- United Club membership
- Valuable signup bonus
- Earn miles on all purchases
- Check your first two bags free on United flights
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Signup bonus. Earn 60,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 in your first 3 months when you open your account. That's $750 in value when redeemed for travel purchases via the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
- Earn reward points. Every time you use your card toward travel and dining purchases, you earn 2x points. All other purchases earn 1x points.
- Point transfer. You can transfer your points in 1:1 ratio with Chase's hotel and airline partners, including British Airways, Air France KLM, Korean Air, Singapore Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, IHG, Marriott and World of Hyatt.
The winner: it depends
For the general traveler, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is going to be the better pick. It earns comparable points to the United card — and more in some cases — without the restrictions of having to fly United.
The United MileagePlus® Club card is best suited to United enthusiasts. The big annual fee largely gets you the luxury perks and amenities that help make your United flights more comfortable and valuable.
But if neither card fits the bill, you have plenty of options to choose from. Compare more travel cards to find the one that best fits your travel and spending needs.
Compare credit cards
Ask an Expert