United® Credit Card from First Hawaiian Bank review
A unique United card for Hawaiian residents.
- Get this card if you want a United card to earn rewards on everyday purchases.
- Pick something else if you don’t live in Hawaii, Guam or the Northern Marianas.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 2x
for the first year ($99 thereafter)
Purchase APR (variable)
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($99 thereafter)|
|Welcome Offer||25,000 miles after spending $1,500 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||2x miles on gas, groceries and United, and 1x miles on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||16.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||2.99% intro for the first 8 months (then 16.24% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Steven Dashiell is a credit cards writer at Finder. He's worked on 250 Finder articles and counting, helping readers embrace and maximize credit cards. Backed by nearly a decade of research and reporting experience, Steve's work can be seen on Debt.com, CreditCards.com and Lifehacker.
The United® Credit Card from First Hawaiian Bank has a few interesting features that help differentiate it from the Chase lineup. First is the interesting earning categories: You won’t find many travel cards on the market that offer rewards on groceries and gas. This makes it a great card if you only travel on occasion. You can make everyday purchases and end up with enough miles for a trip or two without much effort.
This card is also the only non-Chase United card. That means it’s totally exempt from the Chase 5/24 rule, allowing you to take advantage of the modest signup bonus without worry while adding another United earning category to your wallet.
Finally, this card comes with a 2.99% intro APR on balance transfers for eight months. A few months ago, I may have politely shrugged at this feature. However, with a majority of providers dropping intro balance transfer offers from their cards in recent months, I’d consider even a figure like 2.99% noteworthy.
Now for the big caveat: you can only pick up this card if you’re a resident of Hawaii, Guam or the Northern Marianas. Rather unfortunate, as the card works well as an entry-level United card or a companion to one of the other Chase United cards in your wallet. But if you can qualify for the card and want to expand your United earning options with everyday spending, this card is a solid option.
How to apply for the United® Credit Card from First Hawaiian Bank
Here’s how to apply for the United® Credit Card from First Hawaiian Bank:
- Go to the First Hawaiian Bank website.
- On the main page, click on the navigation bar underneath Apply Online and select United® Credit Card. Click Apply.
You can also apply by traveling to the United® Credit Card main page:
- Go to the First Hawaiian Bank website.
- Click the menu bar at the top of the page.
- Click on Personal.
- Select United® Credit Card from the drop down menu. It is filed under Credit Cards.
- Click Apply Now on the new page.
- Fill in your information and click Submit.
What credit score do I need to qualify for the United® Credit Card?
You’ll need a good credit score of 670 or higher to qualify.
- Earn miles. You’ll earn 2x miles on United tickets purchased through United, on grocery stores and on gas stations. Earn 1x miles on everything else.
- Signup bonus. Earn 25,000 miles after you spend $1,500 in your first 3 months. This is worth around $250, give or take depending on how you redeem those miles. You can check out our United redemption guide for more information.
- Intro APR. This card comes with a 2.99% intro APR on balance transfers for 8 months. After that, your APR reverts to 16.24% variable.
- United perks. Enjoy two free checked bags each flight, expanded award availability, two United Club one-time passes each year and complimentary premier upgrades on select award tickets.
- No foreign transaction fees. You won’t pay any extra fees on purchases made abroad or through international websites.
What to watch out for
- Limited availability. You can only apply and qualify for this card if you live in Hawaii, Guam or Northern Marianas.
- Annual fee. After your first year, you’ll pay $99 annually to use this card.
Compare credit cards
If you’re an eligible resident, the United® Credit Card from First Hawaiian Bank is an interesting everyday spending option for amassing United miles. If you’re not interested in the earning categories of the United Explorer or already have that card, this card makes for a solid pickup.
Those outside of Hawaii, Guam and the Northern Marianas will need to compare other travel card options to find one that fits the bill.