LV= life insurance review
LV= keeps its range simple with just one life insurance product – term life insurance – plus an optional critical illness cover add-on.
Who is LV=?
The insurer formerly known as Liverpool Victoria started out in 1843 as a burial society, whereby participants’ voluntary subscriptions were used to help pay for the funeral costs of members and their families. Now one of the UK’s biggest insurers, LV= may be better known for its car insurance, but still harks back to its original roots with its range of life insurance products.
What types of life insurance does LV= offer?
LV’s core product is its term life insurance, which pays out a lump sum to help pay the mortgage and other expenses if you die or get diagnosed with a terminal illness. You can add critical illness cover onto this to receive a payout if you become seriously, rather than terminally, ill.
LV= term life insurance
As the name suggests, term life insurance only covers you for a specified timeframe, so it’s not as pricey as whole of life insurance. It can be a good choice if, say, you want to provide a safety net for your little ones while they’re little, but don’t want to be left forking out for cover once they’ve flown the nest (and are hopefully earning enough to look after you in your dotage – sorry, we mean “golden years”).
LV= offers three types of term life insurance:
- Level term life insurance, where both your monthly payments and the cover amount stay the same
- Inflation-linked life insurance, where the cover amount increases in line with inflation. Your premium increases in line with inflation multiplied by 1.5
- Decreasing life insurance, where your payments stay the same but the level of cover decreases over time
LV= term life insurance with critical illness cover
While some insurers offer standalone critical illness cover, LV’s is only available in combination with its core life insurance policy. You can opt for level-term, inflation-linked or decreasing cover.
The critical illness add-on offers a lump sum if you’re diagnosed with one of more than 60 illnesses. For around two-thirds of these, LV= pays out the full amount, after which cover ends. The rest it dubs “additional payment” conditions – if you’re diagnosed with one of these less serious conditions, it’ll typically pay out between £12,500 and £25,000 (or a proportion of your cover, depending on which is lower), and you’ll retain your full level of cover.
With combined policies, if you choose the same level of cover for both life insurance and critical illness, you’ll only receive a payout for the first claim (so if you make a critical illness claim, you will no longer have life insurance cover). You can also choose a higher level of cover for life insurance, in which case if you claim for critical illness, you’ll still have some life insurance cover.
Compare LV= policies
Benefits of LV= life insurance
- Cover starts from just £5 a month, and LV= says that it paid 95% of life insurance claims in 2018.
- LV= life insurance customers get access to additional benefits, including discounts on general insurance products and LV= Doctor Services, which offers app- or phone-based access to expert medical advice if you need it.
- If you choose LV= term life insurance with critical illness cover, up to £25,000 of children’s critical illness cover is automatically included in your monthly premium.
- For some critical illnesses, LV= offers “enhanced” cover. This pays either 150% or 200% of your cover limit (up to a cap of £200,000) for certain conditions that can have a particularly harsh impact on people’s lives.
Drawbacks of LV= life insurance
- LV’s Life protection policy only gets a 3-star Defaqto rating out of a maximum five stars.
- Critical illness cover is only available if you also have a life insurance policy; many providers also offer it as a standalone option.
- LV’s maximum age at application for life insurance is lower than some other providers, particularly if you want index-linked insurance.
- As with most life insurance policies, if you stop paying your premiums, you won’t get any money back and your cover may stop
LV= life insurance exclusions
The specific exclusions will depend on which type of cover you take out, so you’ll need to check the policy documents carefully, but some key exclusions are:
- As with all insurance, if you don’t answer questions truthfully when you apply, this might invalidate your cover.
- LV= won’t pay a life insurance claim if you die as a result of suicide within the first 12 months of your policy.
- You can’t claim under a terminal illness in the last 12 months of LV’s life insurance plan.
- If you have the critical illness add-on, you’ll only be covered for the conditions named in the policy.
What’s the claims process for LV’s life insurance?
You (or someone claiming on your behalf) can:
- Call 0800 756 5869 (for TextDirect, dial 18001 0800 756 5869). Lines open 8.30am-6.30pm Monday to Friday.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to LV= Claims Department, Emperor House, Grenadier Road, Exeter Business Park, Exeter, EX1 3LH
You can help make an unpleasant task go as smoothly as possible by having important information to hand, including the policy number and either medical reports from a doctor or an original death certificate, depending on what you’re claiming for.
Frequently asked questions
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
More guides on Finder
How does life insurance work?
Find out how life insurance works and what policy is right for you.
Jeep Renegade insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Jeep Renegade falls under, how much it might cost to insure one and how to save on your car insurance.
Toyota Celica insurance group
Find out how much it might cost to inure a Toyota Celica based on the specific model version.
Benefits of a business account
While it may look like additional admin work, opening a separate business account is actually likely to make your work life easier and more organised. Here are the pros and cons.
How to set up a business bank account
Need a bank account for your business but unsure of where to start? This guide covers all the basics, from why it’s a good idea to open one to the documents you will need.
Income protection insurance
Worried about losing your income and want to know how you can protect it? Compare income protection insurance policies and find the best one for you.
Nissan 350z insurance group
Find out how much it might cost to insure your Nissan 350Z based on the driver’s age and their location.
Nissan Almera insurance group
Find out the average cost of car insurance for a Nissan Almera based on your age and location.
RAC discount codes for November 2020
Check out our latest RAC discount codes and deals and see if you can score yourself a great deal on breakdown cover today.
Find out your chances of dying from COVID-19 in the UK
Our calculator can help you assess your chances of surviving COVID-19, with resources to help you stay as safe as possible.