How we rate budgeting apps
This is how we come up with the star ratings and "best for" picks that you see for budgeting apps.
Budgeting apps provide a great way to oversee your everyday finances, allowing you to categorise your spending and identify areas where you could make savings. Many of these apps have developed detailed budgeting tools as well as other features, such as the ability to upload and store receipts, or weed out any wasteful ongoing subscriptions.
Here, we explain how we generate the Finder or “we say” star ratings you may see on our budgeting apps content, and the “best for” picks that we sometimes highlight.
Budgeting apps star ratings
We score the budgeting apps that we show on our site for the following features, awarding star ratings of between one and five for each one:
- App rating. This is calculated by averaging the app’s rating in the App Store and Google Play Store.
- Fees. We take into account any monthly fees associated with having or using the app – as well as if it’s free, of course.
- Range of accounts. If you want to manage your finances effectively it’s important to be able to see as many of your accounts as possible in one place. So we evaluate what types of accounts you’re able to connect to and see in your budgeting app. That includes current accounts, savings accounts and credit cards, as well as things like investments, pensions, loans and mortgages.
- Budgeting features. Given this is the raison d’etre of these apps, this is an important one. We consider what budgeting features are on offer, such as the ability to categorise your spending, generate a spending report or forecast, use a tool to plan your monthly or weekly budget, have a pot to put savings aside in, or easily see what money you have left over after all of your upcoming bills are paid.
- Extra app features. Some budgeting apps offer some valuable additional features, whether that be the ability to customise your spending categories or the opportunity to switch energy providers to save money on your bills. Some even come with a payment card of their own or access to a cashback programme, so we take all of this into account.
To generate our overall star rating, an average is taken of the above five scores, and this is then rounded to the nearest half star.
How do we choose our “best for” budgeting apps?
From among the products featured on the site, we highlight those which our analysis shows are the best fit for specific categories, and then we display these picks across some of our personal finance management content. Our “best for” picks might not be best for all circumstances, so it’s important to consider what your needs are before you choose your budgeting app.
More guides on Finder
Find out what we thought of NAGA, a trading platform that lets you t trade more than 500 financial instruments and copy other people’s trades.
How to buy TitanSwap (TITAN) in the UK
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the TitanSwap (TITAN) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
AMC Entertainment shares extend year-long rally to 2,000%
AMC Entertainment Shares surpassed $50 last week to be up more than 2,000% this year, replacing GameStop as Reddit investors most beloved meme stock.
Best car seats of 2021
We used ADAC safety testing data to compare the 10 best child car seats to buy in the UK for 2021. Compare price, weight and safety features.
Amazon Prime Day Shopping Statistics 2021
20% of British adults plan to shop the Amazon Prime Day 2021 sales, according to the latest statistics from Finder’s Amazon Prime Day shopping report.
Apple back-to-school: Best deals and what to expect in the UK
Does Apple have a back-to-school sale in the UK? Find out when the deals start and what to expect from this year’s Apple sale.
Why is the AMC share price still rising?
Shares in AMC Entertainment Holdings are again closing in on their all-time high. The cinema operator has jumped 111% in the past 5 sessions alone. Find out what’s going on with this “meme stock”.
Secret Sales discount codes and promos for June 2021
See if you can get your next Secret Sales order for less with our hand-tested voucher and promo codes.
What is a good credit score?
Find out the difference between a credit score and a credit report as well as what factors can bring it up and down?
Ask an Expert