How much does health insurance cost?
Thinking about buying private health insurance? Find out how much you can expect to pay.
Private health insurance can mean getting treated faster and in more comfortable surroundings. Yet it also means paying a fair bit more.
On average you can expect to pay around £1,400 for private health insurance annually, although prices do vary drastically. If you’re young and fit then your costs will be much lower.
In this guide we look in detail about how the insurer works out your costs, offering tips on lowering your premiums too.
How can we help?
Speak to an expert adviser
Talk to a fee-free life insurance adviser from our partner ActiveQuote. Call free (mobile or landline).
Health Insurance quote
Complete our form to get a personalised information health insurance quote to suit your particular needs.Get instant quotes
Policy switch quote
Compare online quotes from leading insurance providers to find a new policy that’s right for you.Get instant quotes
What influences the cost of health insurance?
Your individual circumstances and the type of policy you choose will affect the price you pay for health insurance. Certain factors that dictate your insurance costs are out of your control, unfortunately. But there are some ways you can lower costs.
- Your age. The older you are the more you’ll be charged for health insurance unfortunately, as your chances of developing a condition are higher.
- Your lifestyle. Just like with life insurance, smokers can expect to pay more in health insurance premiums. It goes without saying that it’s a habit that can lead to various health issues.
- Your address. Hospitals and treatments can be more expensive in certain areas, so someone living in London may be charged higher premiums than someone living in Scotland.
The type of insurance
- Individual or a joint policy. Insurers might offer you a discount if you take out a policy alongside your partner.
- Level of cover. A comprehensive health insurance deal which covers you for both inpatient and outpatient care will cost more than a basic policy.
More ways to save on health insurance
- Pick ‘n’ mix policies. Some insurers let you buy basic plans but then add extras on top. So if you’re young and healthy you might opt for a basic plan and then pay to get outpatient treatment as an add-on.
- Exercise and quit smoking. Insurance providers might offer you lower premiums if you show you’re in good shape and that you don’t smoke.
- Shop around. When taking out a policy use comparison sites, get quotes from companies’ websites and maybe even speak to an insurance broker. Doing your homework will help you find the cover you want, for the best price.
- Opt for a higher excess. An excess is the amount you’ll have to contribute towards a claim. By agreeing to pay a higher excess you’ll get lower premiums.
- Buy a joint policy. One way to cut costs is to buy a joint health insurance policy with someone, your partner perhaps.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Gadget insurance abroad
Find out whether you need gadget insurance for travel and what’s included in the cover, plus tips to keep your devices safe while travelling.
Modified motorcycle insurance
Find out what type of insurance you need if you’ve made additions or alterations to your motorbike.
Learner motorbike insurance
Find out what motorcycle insurance for learner riders includes, what affects the cost of premiums and how you can save money.
Student gadget insurance
Find out what gadget insurance for students includes, who qualifies for it and how to find the best cover for you at the best price.
Find out how you can protect yourself financially in the event you lose your job with unemployment insurance.
Loan protection insurance
If you find yourself unable to work, a loan protection insurance policy will pay out monthly benefits straight to your bank account.
How much life insurance do I need?
Use our online calculator to find out how much life insurance you need based on your own personal circumstances.
Porsche Cayenne insurance group
Find out the cost and car insurance group of Porsche Cayenne models, and see how much you could pay based on age, location and model.
DS 3 insurance group and cost
Find out the insurance group for your DS 3, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premiums.
Volkswagen Fox insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Volkswagen Fox and see how much you could pay based on age, location and model.
Ask an Expert