Nail technician insurance
From cover for your equipment to public liability, here's what you need to consider when taking out nail technician insurance.
Nail technician insurance is a business insurance policy for manicurists and nail technicians. It can protect your equipment and your business if something goes wrong.
Why do nail technicians need insurance?
Nail technician insurance is worth considering for many reasons. Think about how much it would cost to replace your equipment if it gets damaged or goes missing? And what if something goes wrong and you’re faced with a third-party claim and compensation payout? Having indemnity and liability insurance in place can give you peace of mind that you’re covered.
What’s usually included in nail technician insurance?
Nail technician insurance combines some of the standard elements of business insurance, including professional indemnity and public liability protection plus cover for replacing your equipment.
Policy specifications will vary by insurer and depend on what cover you choose to suit your needs. But nail technician insurance generally includes the following:
- Equipment insurance. This covers the cost of replacing or repairing any of your manicure and pedicure equipment if it’s damaged or stolen.
- Public liability insurance. If you’re in a client’s home and accidentally damage something or if something goes wrong in a salon, public liability insurance will protect you against the cost of any accidental injury or property damage claims.
- Professional indemnity insurance. Indemnity insurance will help if something goes wrong with a client or they’re not happy with your work.
Depending on whether you have a salon or you work as a mobile nail technician, you might also need to consider some of the following:
- Business interruption. If you run a salon and it’s damaged, for example by flooding or fire, this replaces any business income lost as a result.
- Employers’ liability insurance. If you employ staff, you’re legally required to take out employers’ liability cover to protect yourself in case legal action is taken against you.
- Product liability cover. If you supply a faulty product to a customer and they then hold you responsible, product liability can cover legal defence costs.
- Theft by employees cover. If one of your employees steals cash or equipment from you, this will compensate you for any losses.
You might also want to consider things like legal expenses cover, libel and slander cover and personal accident cover, depending on your business needs.
What equipment is covered by nail technician insurance?
This depends on the type of policy and your requirements, but most nail technician insurance policies will include cover for the following:
- Nail varnishes and coatings
- Files, clippers and buffers
- Creams and oils
- All manicure and pedicure accessories
These are just a few examples of equipment that can be included in your insurance. Some policies might also offer cover while your equipment is in your car or van.
If you have a salon or work from your home and there’s an event like a flood or fire, you can also take out business contents cover. This will pay for any damaged fixtures and fittings that need to be repaired or replaced.
How much cover do I need?
This depends on your personal requirements. Most insurers will give you different options for cover limits, so if you have a lot of expensive equipment, you’ll probably want to set your limit higher. This might mean paying higher premiums, but there’s no point in getting nail technician insurance cover if it falls short of your needs.
When it comes to indemnity and liability cover limits, consider the circumstances you work in. For example, if you work in a busy salon or if you travel around a lot and often go to clients’ houses, these will all influence the amount of cover you need.
Common claims examples
- Accidental spillage. You’re in a client’s home and accidentally spill some nail polish over their expensive cream carpet. You could be liable for a substantial compensation claim. Taking out public liability cover can help you with legal expenses and compensation payments.
- Theft of kit. You’re on your way to see a client and take your eyes off the suitcase containing all your nail technician equipment for a few moments. When you turn back around, it has disappeared. If you have all your equipment insured, your policy will cover the cost of having to buy it all again.
In most cases, it’s likely that your customers will be very happy with their smart and shiny talons, but sometimes things can go wrong. Having a comprehensive nail technician insurance policy in place can give you peace of mind that you’re protected.
Frequently asked questions:
More guides on Finder
Low emission car insurance
We explain how low emission cars could affect insurance and other costs, plus how to keep your insurance premium low.
Cat N insurance
Read our guide to find out how to find insurance for your cat N write-off, average cost and whether or not you can keep your category N car.
Self-employed car insurance
What you need to consider when taking out car insurance if you’re self-employed, and whether you can claim car insurance as a business expense.
Cat S insurance
Learn how to find insurance for your Cat S write-off, average cost and whether you can keep your category S car.
Lloyds Platinum current account review
Find out how the Lloyds Platinum current account works and its pros and cons.
Nationwide FlexPlus current account review
Find out more about the Nationwide FlexPlus account and how it works.
Overpaid pension tax
We explain why there’s a risk of paying too much pension tax and how you can get overpaid pension tax back if you’re affected.
Do you pay national insurance on income from your private pension?
If you’re planning to start taking money out of your private pension, find out if you’ll be hit with a national insurance bill.
How does dividend tax work?
Find out how dividend tax works, your allowances and bills you should expect to pay if you receive dividends.
Koinal review 2022
Read our in-depth review to find out how Koinal works, whether it’s the right place to buy cryptocurrency and what you can expect from its service.
Ask an Expert