Star Trek Credit Card review
The rewards are weighed down by a $39 annual fee.
- Get this card if you spend heavily at StarTrek.com.
- Pick something else if you spend only moderately at StarTrek.com.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 3x
9.4% to 17.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Product Name||Star Trek Credit Card|
|Purchase APR||9.4% to 17.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||6.9% intro for the first life of balances transferred (then 9.4% to 17.99% variable)|
|Cash advance rate||11.4% to 18% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$5 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Penalty APR||18% variable|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
|Late payment fee||Up to $35|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $35|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
The card’s rewards are worth more than they seem, as points are worth 1.5 cents each when redeemed for cash back. That’s superior to the industry-standard redemption rate of 1 cent per point. And it means you’ll earn an attractive 4.5% rewards rate on StarTrek.com purchases, 3% on gas station purchases and 1.5% on all other purchases, instead of 3x, 2x and 1x points, respectively.
The card has no balance transfer fees, which is a nice touch. However, it lacks a 0% intro APR. Instead, you’ll receive a 6.9% to 17.99% variable APR in perpetuity on transfers you make within life of balances transferred of account opening. While you have the possibility of receiving a low APR, you might enjoy one of the many strong 0% intro APR cards instead.
Alternatives to the Star Trek Credit Card
While the Star Trek Credit Card offers a unique 4.5% rewards rate on StarTrek.com purchases, its other rewards aren’t special. Here are some recommended alternatives:
- Citi® Double Cash Card: Get flat-rate cash back.
This card offers 1% cash back on all purchases and another 1% cash back as you pay them off. It also has no annual fee.
- Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card: Get strong rewards on gas.
This card offers a 3% rewards rate at gas stations — equivalent to the Star Trek Credit Card’s rate — and it has no annual fee.
How to apply for the Star Trek Credit Card
- Visit the NASA FCU website.
- Decide which card design you want and click Apply now.
- Complete the application with details such as your full name, address, employment information and your annual income.
- Review your information and submit your application.
This card requires membership in the NASA Federal Credit Union
You can join the NASA Federal Credit Union if you are:
- An employee of a NASA Center, current or retired.
- A member or employee of a NASA Federal association or partner organization.
- A relative of a NASA Federal member, or you currently live with one.
If you don’t meet any of these requirements, you can join by becoming an affiliated member of the National Space Society. NASA FCU will give you a complimentary membership. Keep in mind you’ll need to deposit at least $5 in a Share Savings account.
What credit score do I need?
You have better odds of approval if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Compare rewards credit cards
The Star Trek Credit Card is a unique concept, and it offers a great 4.5% rewards rate on StarTrek.com purchases. However, its other rewards are nothing special. And while it has no balance transfer fees, you might find its intro balance transfer APR underwhelming.