Stanford Alumni Rewards VISA® Credit Card review
Earn accelerated points on gas and groceries and save money on fees.
- Get this card if you’re a Standard FCU member wanting to earn points on everyday purchases and save money on fees.
- Pick something else if you want a 0% intro APR period.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 3x
9.99% to 18%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome offer||10,000 after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||3x points on gas, 2x points on groceries, 1x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||9.99% to 18% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 6 months (then 9.99% to 18% variable)|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Stanford Alumni Rewards VISA® Credit Card is a decent family card that lets you earn accelerated rewards on everyday purchases such as gas and groceries. Based on your creditworthiness, you can get a low APR and save money on fees, including on cash advance fees and on an annual fee.
However, you must be a Stanford FCU member to own the card.
How to apply for the Stanford Alumni Rewards VISA® Credit Card
- Hold a Standard FCU membership.
- Visit the Stanford FCU website and locate the card.
- Members apply with Credit union member and non-members apply with non-credit union member.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
You have higher chances of approval with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
- Signup bonus. Spend $1,000 in your first 90 days of account opening to earn 10,000 bonus points. That’s a $100 redemption value according to the Stanford FCU website.
- Reward points. Earn 3x points on gas purchases, 2x points on groceries and 1x points on everything else you buy.
- Intro APR on balance transfers. Make a balance transfer in the first 60 days of card membership and use a 0% intro APR period for 6 months. A variable APR of 9.99% to 18% applies thereafter.
- Limited fees. The card has no annual fee. Most of its other fees are waived, including fees for foreign transactions, balance transfers, cash advances and overlimit.
What to watch out for
- No 0% intro APR period. Whil you do get a low APR with this card, if you want to save more money on interest, compare 0% intro APR credit cards.
- Stanford FCU membership required. To apply for this card, you’ll need to be a member of the Stanford Federal Credit Union. You’re eligible for membership if you’re a Stanford alumni, or work for Standford Health Care, Stanford Children’s Care, or the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. You can also join if you are a member, employee or volunteer of the Palo Alto Chamber of Congress, Palo Alto Libraries, or Museum of American Heritage.
Compare rewards credit cards
This card might be especially appealing for families who hold Standard FCU membership and want to earn rewards on gas and grocery purchases without paying an annual fee. The Stanford Alumni Rewards VISA® Credit Card also lets you earn a decent signup bonus and save money with a low APR and no fees.
But if you think there could be a better option for you, compare other credit cards until you find the right card for your wallet.