Get 50,000 signup bonus points and take advantage of flying Southwest.
- Get this card if… you frequently fly Southwest Airlines and are looking for no foreign transaction fees while traveling.
- Pick something else if… you want to redeem rewards through another airline or would like a card with free airport lounge access.
- Excellent credit score of 740 or higher recommended.
|Product Name||Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||17.49% to 24.49% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||17.49% to 24.49% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.49% variable|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 21 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Fair (660-699)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Late Payment Fee||$37|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater|
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Card comes with a slightly higher fee — $99 p.a. a year — than the lower-tier Rapid Rewards Plus card. But to make up the difference, you’ll earn twice the number of bonus points on each account anniversary: 6,000 points. Another great bonus for frequent travelers: no foreign transaction fees on overseas purchases.
Like the Plus card, you’ll earn a 50,000-point signup bonus when you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months after opening your account. You’ll also find no blackout dates or seat restrictions, no change fees and you can fly with up to two bags for free on Southwest.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card is designed for frequent Southwest Airlines travelers. You’ll earn 2x points on all Southwest and qualifying Rapid Rewards purchases, as well as 1x points on your everyday spending. Redeem rewards for free flights, seat reservations and more.
If you frequently fly Southwest Airlines, you can easily make the $99 p.a. annual fee worth it.
- Signup bonus. To qualify for the 50,000-point signup bonus, spend only $1,000 in the first three months after opening your account. Bonus points will post to your Rapid Rewards account within eight weeks.
- Anniversary bonus. To get 6,000 bonus points on your account anniversary each year, you simply need to keep your account active.
- Reward points. Earn 2x points on purchases made directly with Southwest Airlines, including airline tickets, in-flight amenities, vacation packages and gift card purchases, as well as at participating Rapid Rewards hotel and rental car partners. Earn 1x points on all other purchases.
- A-List qualifying points. Earn 1,500 tier-qualifying points toward A-List and A-List Preferred status for every $10,000 spent with this card.
- Travel benefits. When redeeming points for flight tickets, there are no blackout dates or travel restrictions. If you need to reschedule your flight, pay no change fees. Your first and second checked bags always fly for free.
- No foreign transaction fees. Unlike the Rapid Rewards Plus card, you’ll pay no fees on overseas spending with this one.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. If you’re not a frequent flyer with Southwest Airlines, paying $99 p.a. each year might not be worth it.
- No intro APR. Prepare to pay interest on all outstanding balances from the first billing cycle.
- No airport lounge access. Unlike several other airline frequent flyer credit cards, the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card offers no airport lounge access.
Compare rewards credit cards
What you should know before applying
Submit an application for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card if:
- You’re at least 18 years of age.
- You’re a US citizen or permanent resident.
- You have a valid Social Security number.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
What credit score should I have?
An excellent credit score of 740 or higher will increase the chances of your application’s approval.
How do I apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card?
To apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card, you’ll need to provide personal and financial details that include:
- Your full name and contact information
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- Your gross annual income and monthly rent payment
- An existing Rapid Rewards number, if you have one
1. Go to the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card website and click Apply Now.
2. Complete the application with your personal and financial information, review your details and submit.
How long will it take for me to be approved?
Chase will inform you of your application’s status almost as soon as you submit it online. It also typically sends a letter with the information you need in 7 to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
Make the most of this card by flying Southwest, but don’t let watchfulness take a back seat.
- Monitor account activity. Use Chase bank’s online banking platform to keep a track of your spending and payments 24/7.
- Redeem points. Points earned are automatically transferred to your Rapid Rewards account at the end of each billing cycle. Redeem your points for any seat on any flight, subject to availability. Transferring rewards points to another Rapid Rewards member is also an option.
- Avoid interest. Pay off your outstanding balance in full before each due date to avoid paying interest. Remember that cash advances attract interest from the day of the transaction.
- Avoid penalties. Late payment and returned check fees can go up to $39.00.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, contact Chase card services at 800-792-0001, on Twitter at @ChaseSupport or log in to your account to send a secure email.
You can get a lot out of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premium card if you frequently fly with this airline and want to ramp up your rewards through everyday spending. If you’re looking for a card that offers more options in redeeming rewards, compare other credit cards out there.