Get 40,000 signup bonus points and take advantage of flying Southwest.
- Get this card if… you frequently fly Southwest Airlines and are looking for no foreign transaction fees while traveling.
- Pick something else if… you want to redeem rewards through another airline or would like a card with free airport lounge access.
- Excellent credit score of 670 or higher recommended.
|Product Name||Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||17.99% to 24.99% variable|
|Balance Transfer APR||17.99% to 24.99% variable|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$5 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.99% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 21 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$37|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Rates & Fees||Rates & Fees|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||40,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Earn an additional 20,000 points when you spend $12,000 in your first year.|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1x points|
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card comes with a slightly higher fee — $99 a year — than the lower-tier Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card. But to make up the difference, you’ll earn twice the number of bonus points on each account anniversary: 6,000 points. Another great bonus for frequent travelers: no foreign transaction fees on overseas purchases.
Like the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card, you’ll earn a 40,000-point signup bonus when you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months after opening your account. And you can earn an additional 20,000 points if you spend $12,000 on purchases in the first year. You’ll also find no blackout dates or seat restrictions, no change fees and you can fly with up to two bags for free on Southwest.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card is designed for frequent Southwest Airlines travelers. You’ll earn 2x points on all Southwest and qualifying Rapid Rewards purchases, as well as 1x point on your everyday spending. Redeem rewards for free flights, seat reservations and more.
If you frequently fly Southwest Airlines, you can easily make the $99 annual fee worth it.
To qualify for the 40,000-point signup bonus, spend only $1,000 in the first 3 months after opening your account. Bonus points will post to your Rapid Rewards account within eight weeks. If you spend $12,000 in the first year you’ll earn an additional 20,000 points.
To get 6,000 bonus points on your account anniversary each year, you simply need to keep your account active.
Earn 2x points on purchases made directly with Southwest Airlines, including airline tickets, in-flight amenities, vacation packages and gift card purchases, as well as at participating Rapid Rewards hotel and rental car partners. Earn 1x points on all other purchases.
A-List qualifying points.
Earn 1,500 tier-qualifying points toward A-List and A-List Preferred status for every $10,000 spent with this card.
When redeeming points for flight tickets, there are no blackout dates or travel restrictions. If you need to reschedule your flight, pay no change fees. Your first and second checked bags always fly for free.
No foreign transaction fees.
Unlike the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card, you’ll pay no fees on overseas spending with this one.
What to watch out for
If you’re not a frequent flyer with Southwest Airlines, paying $99 each year might not be worth it.
No intro APR.
Prepare to pay interest on all outstanding balances from the first billing cycle.
No airport lounge access.
Unlike several other airline frequent flyer credit cards, the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card offers no airport lounge access.
Compare airline credit cards
What you should know before applying
Submit an application for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card if:
- You’re at least 18 years of age.
- You’re a US citizen or permanent resident.
- You have a valid Social Security number.
What credit score should I have?
An excellent credit score of 670 or higher will increase the chances of your application’s approval.
How do I apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card?
To apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card, you’ll need to provide personal and financial details that include:
- Your full name and contact information
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- Your gross annual income and monthly rent payment
- An existing Rapid Rewards number, if you have one
- Go to the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card website and click Apply Now.
- Complete the application with your personal and financial information, review your details and submit.
How long will it take for me to be approved?
Chase will inform you of your application’s status almost as soon as you submit it online. It also typically sends a letter with the information you need in 7 to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
Make the most of this card by flying Southwest, but don’t let watchfulness take a back seat.
- Monitor account activity. Use Chase bank’s online banking platform to keep a track of your spending and payments 24/7.
- Redeem points. Points earned are automatically transferred to your Rapid Rewards account at the end of each billing cycle. Redeem your points for any seat on any flight, subject to availability. Transferring rewards points to another Rapid Rewards member is also an option.
- Avoid interest. Pay off your outstanding balance in full before each due date to avoid paying interest. Remember that cash advances attract interest from the day of the transaction.
- Avoid penalties. Late payment and returned check fees can go up to $37.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, contact Chase card services at 800-792-0001, on Twitter at @ChaseSupport or log in to your account to send a secure email.
You can get a lot out of the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card if you frequently fly with this airline and want to ramp up your rewards through everyday spending. If you’re looking for a card that offers more options in redeeming rewards, compare other credit cards out there.
Common questions about the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card