RushCard® Prepaid Visa® card review
Good or bad credit, find a RushCard® Prepaid Visa® that works best for your unique situation.
RushCard is led by hip-hop mogul, Russell Simmons and issued by MetaBank, member FDIC. It offers a variety of prepaid cards — all with unique perks like cashback rewards, early direct deposits and free financial counseling. But you’ll need to watch out for potential fees.
Up to $7.95
Monthly maintenance fee
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
|Monthly fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$0|
|Monthly fee with a direct deposit||$5.95|
|Signature transaction fee||$0|
|Signature transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$1|
|PIN transaction fee||$0|
|PIN transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$1|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
After you pick your card design, choose between the Pay-As-You-Go or Unlimited Plan, depending on your needs.
|Monthly fee||$0||$7.95$5.95 with direct deposits|
|Per purchase fee||$1||$0|
|Foreign per purchase fee||$2||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%||3%|
|In-network ATM fee||$0||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$3||$3|
|ATM balance inquiry fee||$0.50||$0.50|
|Teller cash withdrawal||$3||$3|
|Direct deposit fee||$0||$0|
|Cash reload fee||$5.95||$5.95|
|Card-to-card transfer fee||$0.99||$0.99|
|Mobile check load||$0||$0|
|Cashback at retailers fee||$0||$0|
|Inactivity fee (after 90 days)||$1.95 a month||$0|
|Card replacement fee||$5||$5|
How do I apply for a RushCard® Prepaid Visa® Card?
Apply for a Rushcard in three easy steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the RushCard’s website, click Get a RushCard. Enter your email and full name.
- Follow the prompts to enter your personal information, choose your card design and select your payment plan.
- Agree to the electronic disclosure agreement and submit your application.
To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old (or 13 with parental consent)
- US citizen or resident (excluding Vermont)
- Valid US residential address (not a P.O. box)
What information do I need to apply?
You’ll need to provide the following information to apply:
- Full name
- Social Security number
- Email address
- Phone type and number
- Date of birth
RushCard users can choose from five appealing prepaid card designs, each with their own one-time fee.
|Midnight Prepaid Visa RushCard||24K RushCard||Carbon RushCard||Gloss Prepaid Visa RushCard||Sequin KLS Prepaid Visa RushCard, designed by Kimora Lee Simmons|
|One-time card fee||$3.95||$3.95||$3.95||$3.95||$9.95|
*RushCard previously offered a Suede KLS RushCard also designed by Kimora Lee Simmons, but this card is no longer available on the RushCard website.
As with most prepaid cards, RushCard lets you pay bills online, lock and unlock your card if lost or stolen, track your spending from the mobile app, and send money to friends and family. But it also has these perks:
- Get paid faster. If you want to get your paycheck or government benefits up to two days faster, sign up for direct deposit with your RushCard.
- Variety of rewards incentives. If you refer a friend and they apply, set up a PIN and deposit funds onto a RushCard, you’ll get $30 in your account — up to a maximum of $600 a year. Plus, enjoy Walmart and Sam’s Club pharmacy discounts and Visa rewards from more than 90 participating retailers.
- Customer service. As a cardholder, you can enjoy RushCard’s 24-hour round-the-clock customer service.
- Reload and withdraw locations. If you need to reload card, you can do so at places like Walmart and CVS through methods like MoneyGram, Western Union, Green Dot and more. You can withdraw your money at any MoneyPass ATM.
What to watch out for
Although RushCard has a long list of benefits, it has some potential drawbacks:
- RushCard Controversy. In 2015, during what the founder calls a “technology transition,” thousands of cardholders lost access to the funds. Some accounts were deactivated and others had duplicate transactions. As a result, an investigation and class-action lawsuit was launched.
- Statement price difference. There is a $1 paper statement fee for each mailed paper copy of your statement.
- Fees and limits. Watch out for the card’s potential fees and limits. You’re limited to a $10,000 balance, $5,000 in purchases a day and you can withdraw up to $3,000 a month.
- Upfront card costs. You’ll pay a one-time fee of $3.95 or $9.95 for your RushCard, depending on which design you choose.
- Won’t improve credit. Because this is a prepaid card and doesn’t report to any credit agencies, it won’t help you improve your credit score.
Compare with other prepaid cards
The bottom line
RushCard makes it easy to make online payments, get paid and manage your spending — whether you have good credit, bad credit or no credit at all. But this convenience comes at a cost. If you’re looking for cheaper fees, explore prepaid card options until you find one that’s right for you.