Royal Caribbean® Visa Signature® Credit Card review
Bonus points at signup are generous, but rewards for spending are weak compared with other travel cards.
- Get this card if… you cruise with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Club.
- Pick something else if…you want more options in redeeming points for rewards.
- Recommended excellent credit score of 670 to 850.
Up to 2x
14.99% to 22.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
Julia Cameron is a writer and editor who has experience in finance, mergers and acquisitions, content marketing and immigration law. She has a passion for interior design and an affinity for Old Florida, where she lives with her family.
The Royal Caribbean® Visa Signature® Credit Card could work well for you if you’re one of those lucky people who plan to cruise with Royal Caribbean: The easily earned 10,000 MyCruise bonus points equal $100 in onboard credit. On board Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club, you’ll earn 2x points for qualifying purchases. But everyday spending earns you just 1x points toward future travel.
The no annual fee works in your favor, as does the card’s $0 overseas transaction fee. You’ll also receive a $50 Air2Sea airfare discount if you spend $3,500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening.
How to apply for the card
- On the Royal Caribbean® Visa Signature® Credit Card website, click Apply Now.
- Provide your personal information and financial details. Click Review your information.
- Confirm that your information is correct and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Bank of America’s online conditional approval system informs you of your application’s status nearly immediately.
Among a series of travel cards offered by Bank of America is the Royal Caribbean® Visa Signature® Credit Card, offering rewards toward credits, excursions and more with Royal Caribbean and its sister brands.
It’s smooth sailing at the start, with 10,000 MyCruise points with any purchase made in the first 90 days of account opening. But with 2x points for purchases with Royal Caribbean and 1x points for all other spending, you can find stronger rewards with other travel cards.
- Signup bonus. Get 10,000 MyCruise points after your first purchase within 90 days of account opening, as well as a $50 Art2Sea discount when you spend $3,500 in the first 90 days — easily earned if you haven’t yet bought tickets for your upcoming cruise. Your points are credited to your account 6 to 8 weeks after you qualify for the card.
- Points rewards. Earn 2x points on qualifying purchases with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club. All other purchases fetch you 1x points.
- Redeem points. Redeem points through MyCruise Rewards for cruise vacations, onboard credit, stateroom upgrades, discounted companion fares and more on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club.
- $0 annual fee. The Royal Caribbean® Visa Signature® Credit Card comes with no annual fees for life.
- 0% foreign transaction fees. When you use this card outside of the US, you’ll pay no foreign transaction fees.
You’ll also like …
- Visa Signature benefits. Get auto rental collision damage waiver, roadside dispatch, travel and emergency assistance services and round-the-clock access to Visa Signature Concierge.
- Security and protection. The card comes with chip technology for enhanced protection and offers a $0 liability guarantee for fraudulent transactions.
- Points good for five years. You’ll have up to 60 months to use your MyCruise points before they expire, giving you plenty of time to plan your next sea adventure.
Compare credit cards with cruise benefits
What to watch out for
- Weak rewards program. Loyalty benefits are overwhelmingly for one thing: high-end cruises. You’ll find better general travel rewards with other cards.
- Penalties. A late payment can set you back by $40 and accrue a long-time penalty APR of up to 29.99% variable. Returned payments come with penalties of up to $29.
What to know before you apply
Apply for the Royal Caribbean® Visa Signature® Credit Card if you’re:
- At least 18 years old.
- A US citizen or permanent resident.
What credit score do I need?
The chances of your application’s approval increase with an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
I got the card. Now what?
- Turn to online banking. Use Bank of America’s online banking platform to pay your statement and check your available credit 24/7.
- Avoid unnecessary interest. Bank of America gives you 25 grace days after each billing cycle to pay for your purchases with no interest
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with stiff penalties of up to $40. Balance transfers come with fees as well.
- Customer service. Speak to a customer service representative at 800-732-9194 or get online assistance via Ask Jenn. You can also connect with BofA on Twitter @BofA_Help or Facebook @BankofAmerica.
Getting the Royal Caribbean® Visa Signature® Credit Card makes sense only if you’re the cruising kind and use the services of Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Club. Otherwise, you’ll find better rewards credit cards — overall and brand specific — out there.