A secured card that reports to the three major credit bureaus — even without a bank account.
|Product Name||Green Dot® Platinum Visa®|
|Purchase APR||19.99% fixed|
|Intro Purchase APR|
|Intro Balance Transfer APR|
|Cash Advance Rate||19.99% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $27|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $27|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
The Green Dot® Platinum Visa® is a simple secured card that offers a solid opportunity to build or rebuild your credit. Your refundable security deposit act as collateral and becomes your credit limit. With on-time payments and responsible spending reported to the three major credit bureaus, you’ll be on your way to improved creditworthiness. You can even prequalify with Green Dot® Platinum Visa® without affecting your credit score.
Most applicants qualify for this card that requires a low minimum security deposit of $200 to get started. Unlike most secured cards, Green Dot® Platinum Visa® does not require an existing bank account; instead, allowing you to pay your monthly bills at participating retailers. You won’t get rewards, but the 19.99% fixed APR is on the lower end for secured cards.
The Green Dot® Platinum Visa® is not a prepaid or debit card but rather a credit card that helps you build your credit history with the three major credit bureaus. Its APR is also 3% to 5% lower than similar cards.
- Low 19.99% fixed APR. This APR applies to cash advances and everyday spending.
- No bank account required. Unlike with other secured card issuers, you can pay your bill at thousands of participating retailers, including Walmart and CVS.
- Flexible deposits. Put down from $200 to $1,000 for a deposit, which then becomes your credit limit.
What to watch out forGreen Dot® Platinum Visa® can help you build your credit to meet your financial goals. But consider the following before you apply:
- Annual fee. Your annual fee comes off the top of your credit limit, limiting your spending. Other major cards — like the Discover it® Secured and the Secured Mastercard® from Capital One® — don’t have an annual fee, but their APRs are 3% to 5% higher.
- Retailer payment fee. It may be worth it for you to open a checking account to avoid the $4.95 fee that comes with paying in person.
- No rewards or upgrades. This card offers no points or cash back rewards for your spending and won’t automatically upgrade you to an unsecured card as a reward for improved credit.
- Deposit fees and limitations. It will cost you $4.95 to load deposits onto your card at participating retailers. Retailers have a maximum deposit limit of $500, though Walmart’s maximum is a higher $1,000.
How to apply for the Green Dot® Platinum Visa®
Am I eligible?
You won’t need a specific score or credit history to be approved for the Green Dot® Platinum Visa®. But you will need to meet a few basic requirements:
- You’re at least 18 years old.
- You have a valid Social Security number.
- You have a verifiable physical US home address.
Apply for the Green Dot® Platinum Visa® online at Green Dot’s website:
1. Go to Green Dot’s site and click Platinum Credit Card.
Once you’re preapproved, you’ll also need to supply:
- Your employment status.
- Your monthly income.
- Your monthly housing expense.
How to activate the card
Your card is activated once you make your security deposit. You can make a deposit in any of the following ways:
- Send a check or money order to Green Dot® Platinum Visa®. Payments take about 10 days to process.
- Pay by direct deposit or bank transfer.
- Pay at a Green Dot partner retail store. Put down your deposit at stores, including Walmart, CVS and 7-Eleven to activate your card. This is the fastest way to get access to your funds; they’ll be available within 10 minutes after they are loaded.
I got the card. Now what?
Start building your credit with everyday spending and on-time payments that are reported to the three major credit bureaus.
- Pay your statement. Pay your bill online with a Green Dot® Platinum Visa® account, at a participating retailer or by mail.
- Avoid interest payments. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid unnecessary fees. Returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $27. Cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Contact customer service. Find support at 866-795-7597, on Facebook at Green Dot® Platinum Visa®, on Twitter @greendotcards or on Instagram @greendotcards.
What customers are saying about the Green Dot® Platinum Visa®
Known for prepaid debit cards, Green Dot® Platinum Visa® is relatively new to the secured card scene, so you won’t currently find many online reviews about their Green Dot® Platinum Visa®. But the company gets a solid A from the Better Business Bureau.
If you’re looking to build your credit and improve your overall financial health with a credit card, a secured card can get you there — especially one that reports to the three credit bureaus.
The Green Dot® Platinum Visa® is a decent option that comes with a credit limit equal to your refundable security deposit. Just watch out for the many fees that could trip you up.