Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® review
Ride the rails for a 20,000-point signup bonus, companion tickets, travel upgrades and lounge access to 500+ US destinations.
- Get this card if… you frequently ride the rails with Amtrak or want to save on foreign transaction fees.
- Pick something else if…you want a card with a more flexible rewards program.
- Recommended good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
3x points on Amtrak, 2x points on other travel and 1x points on all other purchases
14.99% to 22.99% variable
Minimum Credit Score
|Welcome offer||20,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||3x points on Amtrak, 2x points on other travel and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||14.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||14.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Julia Cameron is a writer and editor who has experience in finance, mergers and acquisitions, content marketing and immigration law. She has a passion for interior design and an affinity for Old Florida, where she lives with her family.
If you’re looking for a travel card that earns you rewards for railroad travel, the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® is worth looking into. It comes with a generous 20,000 point signup bonus when you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days — enough for a free trip on Amtrak to more than 500 destinations.
If you travel with Amtrak often, you’ll earn 3x points on all purchases with Amtrak and its travel partners — like Hertz, Hilton HHonors and Teleflora. Earn 2x points on qualifying travel purchases and 1x points on all other purchases. There’s no limit to how many points you can earn, and they don’t expire as long as your account is in good standing.
When you open your credit card, you’ll also get a complimentary companion ticket, a one-class upgrade and a single-visit pass to a variety of exclusive lounges. All of these perks for an annual fee of $79.
How to apply for the card
- Go to Bank of America’s Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® site and click Apply Now.
- Complete the application with your personal and financial information. Click Review your information.
- Confirm that the information is correct and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional approval is automated on Bank of America’s website, you’ll often get a decision immediately. In some cases, you’ll need to wait a few days to a few weeks to receive a response.
- Signup bonus. Not only can you earn 20,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days, but also get a Companion Coupon, One-Class Upgrade and a Single-Visit Station Lounge Pass that provides access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First Class lounges on account opening.
- Annual gifts. Receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade each year on your anniversary.
- Rewards points for your spending. You’ll earn 3x points on all purchases made with Amtrak, 2x points for other qualifying travel and 1x points on anything else.
- Redeem points. Redeem your points through Amtrak Guests Rewards for rail tickets, car rentals, hotels, gift cards and more.
- Use outside the US with no fees. You’ll pay 0% foreign transaction fees when you use this card overseas.
You’ll also like …
- Points rebate on tickets. When you redeem points for an Amtrak ticket, you get a 5% rebate on the points you redeem. That means when you redeem 200 points, you’ll receive 10 points back in your Amtrak Guest Rewards account.
- Points transfer. If you spend more than $20,000 each year, redeem up to 25,000 points for Audience Rewards or hotel points.
- Security and protection. Protected by a chip, this card offers increased security and comes with a $0 liability guarantee to protect you from fraud.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. If you don’t travel with Amtrak frequently, paying the annual fee of $79 may not be worth it.
- Stiff penalties. Paying late can cost you up to $40, and return payments come with a $29 fee, in addition to a penalty APR of up to 29.99% variable.
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard®, you must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen or permanent resident.
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information
- Your residential status
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information
What credit score do I need?
The chances of your approval for the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® increase with a good to excellent score of 670 or higher.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your card statement online at the Bank of America website, where you can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid unnecessary interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $40. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Bank of America support at 800-732-9194 or send a secured email from your account. You can also connect with BofA on Twitter @BofA_Help or Facebook @BankofAmerica.
Compare travel credit cards
If you frequently enjoy relaxed rides to any of Amtrak’s 500 destinations, the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard®’s benefits can easily offset its $79 annual fee — including points toward free travel and rebates for points redemption. If you don’t travel with Amtrak, consider finding another travel rewards card.