Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card review
Heavy fees make this a poor choice for building credit.
The Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card comes in two variants — an unsecured and a secured card. But you can’t choose which one to apply for. If you get the secured version, the maximum credit line you can deposit is $750. However, both cards come with a host of fees, including a $99 annual fee, a monthly fee of $0 to $10 starting from the second year, and you’ll get a high APR between 25.9% to 29.99% variable with no grace period.
The high fees and the high APR make the Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card a poor choice for building credit. Consider applying for this card if you really want it, but you can find a better credit-building card elsewhere.
25.9% to 29.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Product Name||Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card|
|Purchase APR||25.9% to 29.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Cash advance rate||25.9% to 29.99% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$5 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $39|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $39|
|Additional cardholder fee||$30|
What to watch out for
- Low credit limit.
The stated maximum credit limit for this card is up to $750. Which isn’t bad, but the card’s numerous fees cut directly into this limit, meaning you can expect a lower amount. Many secured cards base your credit limit on your security deposit, meaning you can set your own limit up to a stated maximum.
- Numerous high fees.
The Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card features an astounding number of fees for a card designed to build credit:
- Annual fee. You’ll pay a $99 annual fee to use the card. Note that you can find similar credit-building cards with no annual fee at all.
- Monthly maintenance fee. Starting the second year, you’ll pay a monthly service fee of $0 to $10, adding up to $0 to $120 annually. Reflex waives these fees for your first year, but it’s not a normal fee by any credit card standard.
- Additional card fee. You’ll pay an additional $30 if you want another card.
- Late and returned payment fees. You’ll pay $39 for each payment that isn’t on time or bounces. Many cards average from $27 to $35 for such fees.
- Cash advance fee. Advances attract a fee of either $5 or 5% of each cash advance, whichever is more.
- Foreign transaction fees. Overseas payments will run you 3% of each transaction.
- High APR.
The card’s purchase APR is 25.9% to 29.99% variable. This is higher than you’ll find with many other secured and unsecured cards for building credit, which average a variable APR of 20%.
- No grace period.
This card lacks an interest grace period on your purchases. The only way to avoid interest is to pay your entire account balance in full by the payment due date each month, which is nearly impossible to do with a monthly maintenance and other fees.
Compare unsecured cards for building credit
How to apply for the Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card
You can apply online for approval in minutes. But make sure to budget for setup, maintenance and annual fees. All this budgeting isn’t necessary with most other credit-building cards.
- Gather your personal and financial information and apply now to see if you prequalify without affecting your credit score.
- Enter your personal details, then click Continue your application.
- Enter the confirmation code sent to your smartphone.
- Enter your Social Security number and financial information, then click Continue.
- Complete other required information, then review and submit your application.
What credit score do I need?
Apply with a fair credit score of 580 or higher. The card is designed for those looking to build or rebuild their credit regardless of creditworthiness, and so approval rates are high.
Given expensive fees, a high APR and a general lack of features, the Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card isn’t a helpful choice for building credit.
For a safer, more effective path to building credit, compare other secured credit cards.