Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card review
A no-annual-fee card with flexible rewards for the frequent cruiser.
- Get this card if you’re a regular passenger on Princess Cruises.
- Pick something else if you want general travel rewards.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 2x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 15 billing cycles (then 13.99%, 18.99% or 23.99% variable)
|Welcome Offer||10,000 points after you use your card for the first time|
|Rewards||2x points on Princess and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 15 billing cycles (then 13.99%, 18.99% or 23.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 15 billing cycles (then 13.99%, 18.99% or 23.99% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
This no-annual-fee card could be a good option if you’re a frequent cruiser. You get the benefits of reward points with a higher multiplier for Princess Cruise purchases, and you can even redeem those points for other cruise lines as well.
But you’re not limited to spending points specifically on cruises — you can redeem them for flights, hotels, car rentals and more. If you only go on cruises occasionally, you may find a general travel card more useful.
How to apply for the Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card
- Go to the Barclays website and find the Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card in the travel cards section, then click Apply now.
- Complete the application with all the required details.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card?
Typically, you’ll receive an immediate decision on your application. If additional information is required, you may have to wait a few business days up to a few weeks.
Once approved, you’ll receive your card within seven to 10 business days. If you’re eager to get your card sooner, Barclays can send it to you with expedited shipping for a fee of $15.
- Signup bonus. After you make your first purchase, earn 10,000 bonus points. That’s up to $100 in statement credit toward your next cruise purchase. When compared to other cards, this is one of the easiest signup bonuses you can get.
- Earn points. Earn 2x points on all Princess purchases, including online and onboard purchases, and 1x points on everything else. Redeem points for cruise amenities, gift cards and discounted airfare. You can also redeem points for statement credits toward Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, the Yachts of Seabourn, P&O Cruises and AIDA Cruises.
- No annual fee. You don’t have to pay a fee to own the card and get all of its benefits.
What can I redeem my points for?
- Statement credit. Use points to pay for purchases on eligible cruise lines, or an airline purchase of $50 or more.
- Onboard amenities. Get amenities delivered to you during your cruise.
- Travel redemptions. When you book through BarclaycardUS.com Loyalty Edge, redeem points for airfare, car rentals and hotels.
- Gift cards, gift certificates and merchandise. These can be shipped anywhere in the US, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
Redeeming points for Princess purchases can be a great value — especially if you accumulate lots of points for a big spending spree. And Loyalty Edge redemptions give points a lot of flexibility.
How many points do I need before I can start redeeming them?
You can start redeeming your points at 5,000 for a $50 statement credit toward an eligible Princess cruise purchase.
What is the value of my points for cruise purchases?
Redemption value varies based on the amount of the Princess cruise purchase. For example, based on the terms and conditions of this card as of December 2018:
- $50 – $499.99 statement credit has a value of 1%
- $500.00 – $2000.99 statement credit has a value of 1.25%
- $2001.00 – $4000.99 statement credit has a value of 1.5%
- $4001.00 – more statement credit has a value of 2%
You’ll also like…
- No foreign transaction fees. Use your card internationally without incurring fees. Other cards have up to 3% fee for every transaction.
- Intro balance transfer APR. Get a 0% intro APR for 15 billing cycles following your account opening on balance transfers that post within the first 45 days. After that, a variable APR of 13.99%, 18.99% or 23.99% will apply.
- No penalty APR. This is one of the rare cards that doesn’t have a penalty APR. Other cards have a penalty APR of 30%, which can be stuck with you for 12 months or more.
- Concierge service. Call Visa’s concierge service for assistance with dining, travel, entertainment reservations and more.
- Free access to your FICO score. Get alerts when your FICO credit score changes.
Compare credit cards with cruise benefits
What to watch out for
- Balance transfer limitations. To use the intro APR period, every balance transfer must post within 45 days after you opened your account. Also, you can only make balance transfers that don’t exceed your credit limit. And for each transfer, you’ll pay either $5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater.
- Potentially high APR. Depending on your creditworthiness, you may get an APR on purchases and balance transfers of 13.99%, 18.99% or 23.99% variable , which is relatively high when compared to other cards.
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
To use the intro APR period for this card, post your balance transfers within 45 days of card membership. Once the intro period passes, a variable APR of 13.99%, 18.99% or 23.99% will apply. Keep in mind that it takes at least four weeks for your balance transfers to post to your account, which means you’ll want to get them in right away to take advantage of the intro period.
You’ll pay either $5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater, in balance transfer fees. This brings a balance transfer of $1,000 to $1,030 with the addition of the $30 fee.
If your requested amount exceeds your credit limit, Barclays may either decline your request or accept a partial amount. Know that Barclays won’t accept balance transfers that come from another Barclays account.
If you change your mind, you have 10 days from the day your credit card was approved to cancel any balance transfers you initiated. To do that, call the number on the back of your card.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. Residents of Puerto Rico and US territories are not eligible.
You’ll need to provide information, such as:
- Full name and contact information.
- Residential status.
- Annual income and employment information.
- Social Security number, date of birth and mother’s maiden name.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. Of course, a higher credit score will result in a better APR and increase your likelihood of approval.
Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card reviews and complaints
The Better Business Bureau has accredited Barclays and rates the bank at a solid A+. Based on 53 customer reviews and the BBB rating at the time of this writing, Barclays has a composite score of 3.77 out of 5.
Most complaints revolve around poor customer service for the bank in general. As for the card itself, customers loyal to Princess Cruises love the redemption value onboard the cruise ships.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Barclays app. With the app, you get access to your free FICO score, have the ability to set up automatic payments and alerts and more.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $37. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Barclaycard customer service at 866-928-8598.
This card may be the right pick if you’re a frequent Princess cruiser — especially considering the fact that the card has no annual fee. If you’re an occasional cruiser, a general travel card like the Bank of America® Travel Rewards Credit Card may be better suited to your needs or compare travel credit cards to find the one that’s best for you.